wycombe wanderers v torquay united - 6/10/12 league two

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

NickGull wrote:I think we need to stop Austrianandy from going - it seems whenever he goes we play bad! :lol:

:clap: :lol:

You're not wrong Nick! I didn't go to the Wimbledon game - we won 1-0 and i sadly missed the Aldershot game due to illness and we all know what happened there! I'm off to support Argyle now so you lot can start enjoying endless wins and us playing like Brazil. It's a price worth paying. :nod:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

:P

Seriously reading Lings comments on the BBC, he sounds as frustrated as you guys.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I haven't hear Martins comments on the BBC but i bet he is frustrated. almost as frustrated as we were watching our team and with the blatant time wasting by Wycombe. Mind you I think we left one of their players with something to remind himself of our visit after Rene really hit a shot with venom, and around 12 feet later it hits one of their guys. I felt his pain from the top of the stand I was sitting in.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

To be fair as much as they time wasted we didnt deserve anything anyway. We were very poor today and got what we deserved. Rene Howe was a big positive our best player by a country mile today. Thought Yeoman did well when he came on aswell. Bodin was woeful AGAIN. Hes got to improve soon or should be dropped to prove he isnt undroppable.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

AlexGulls wrote:To be fair as much as they time wasted we didnt deserve anything anyway. We were very poor today and got what we deserved. Rene Howe was a big positive our best player by a country mile today. Thought Yeoman did well when he came on aswell. Bodin was woeful AGAIN. Hes got to improve soon or should be dropped to prove he isnt undroppable.

Forgot to say that Alex, cheers for reminding me. Yeoman looked sharp when he came on and it's the first time i've seen him. Good prospect.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
MuzDog
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by MuzDog »

NickGull wrote::P

Seriously reading Lings comments on the BBC, he sounds as frustrated as you guys.
Thanks Nick Gull. I know we lost today, but Ling's honesty is always refreshing. This season is always going to be difficult after last season we exceeded expectation, but I believe with all my heart that Martin is our man and he will get us into League One, maybe not this season but in the next two at the very outside. I know this season's going to be frustrating at times, but he will lead us to the promised land. I'm really positive how the club is going forward. :)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not going to critize martin Ling, Wycombe had no wins in their last 8 matchs and hadn't won at home this season, I think Lingy got his starting line up spot on, it was totaly right to put out an attacking line up and have a go.What I don't get at the moment is why our team can show so much fighting spirit and look almost unplayable at times, and then at times look so awful.

The team of the back of Tuesday night where they have scored 4 goals in around 40 minutes to come back from 3 down to win, every single one of them should have been pumped for this game, every single one of them should have wanted to be the first on the coach, first to the dressing room, first to every ball, yet after what appeared to be a decent start to the game listening on the radio, the those nagging self doubts crept back into our play. When the manager sends the players over the white line, its up to the players to be on it and do what they have been asked to do, just a slight concern for me is, the team which I think has no doubt more strenght in depth than last season isn't clicking, is Lingys message not clear enough, or are some of the players just not listening.

Thier is no doubt in my mind our team is more than capable of securing a play-off place again this season, however that play-off place will not come to you, you have to go out their impose yourself on the game, and win games and grab that play-off place, something that half our team do not seem to understand at the moment.

My message to the players is simple. last season didn't end how any of us wanted, so stop feeling sorry for yourselfs and start doing what you do best, playing football/stop hoofing it, and win games.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Reading the reports of Mr. Austrianandygull lead me, again, to the dawning realisation that a clear-out is needed. I have been to the home games (not the away games), so my view of the season so far is perhaps more rose-tinted than it should be; nevertheless the similarity of reports and analyses from those attending away games is disturbing. Mind you, the Burton and Plymouth home games which I attended were dire and perhaps these bear a similarity to the much-maligned away performances.
The bottom line is: we all want promotion. Sticking around for yet another season in League 2 won't do. Yet this is what will happen this season - and the next - unless we bite the bullet and spend at least some of the transfer money (Olejnik et al) on new and, most importantly, better players. We're going to have to grasp the idea that loyalty is a commendable trait in a human being, but one which doesn't cut much ice in producing a successful team. So some of the old hands will have to go, and go soon. No names, that wouldn't be fair, but we know who they are. Only a cleansing of the hives and the introduction of (relatively) expensive new bees (to use an analogy) will produce results.
Or are the present players good enough and the tactics wrong? I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable on tactical matters to comment.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

so andy, bodin is the new danny stevens then!!

and hurrah, got a 42/1 5 timer up in france last night!! fortnights betting losses covered!!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

NickGull wrote:
please can everyone get into the habit of posting links where possible
still keeping the faith
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19768612
Torquay United manager Martin Ling told BBC Radio Devon:

"That's possibly our worst performance of the season. I thought that not at any time did we get up a head of steam up.
"We were second to first balls and second to second balls and we got what we deserved which was nothing.
"The only one I take out of any criticism probably is Rene Howe, I thought he was outstanding, he was trying to turn it around at all times.
"Half-time was a lifeline really, we were 1-1 and looking like we had a get out of jail card, but for the first 15 minutes of the second half we couldn't even seem to pass water if I'm honest."

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If Ling is so frustrated why doesn't he do something aboout it and get in the loan market and bring in a midfielder on loan. Craig has potential but he isn't the answer at present.
It makes me laugh that Macklin got a 3 from whoever rated the players. Didn't someone (ferrarilover) say that he would be an automatic choice?
He is basically worse than useless.
Thank god we won on Tuesday but that really just papered over the cracks to be honest. We were at one stage 3-0 down to the worst team I have seen all season.
So yet another abject way peformance by the sound of it.
Lets just hope Howe stays fit.
The squad is brimming with too many players who are not good enough - thats the crux of it.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Craig very much is the answer, he is the best footballer we have (perhaps aside from Rene). You can hardly single out Macklin as especially worthy of criticism, he was no worse than Manse, are you suggesting that it is erroneous to make him an automatic starting pick?
At the moment, it seems that we cannot find a match where sufficient players play sufficiently well. Danny is a perfect example, absolutely hopeless on Tuesday, did really well when he came on on Saturday.
The squad is very much not full of players who are not good enough, as well you know, it's that we can't stick enough decent individual performances together to warrant winning a match at present.
This is a shame, because the standard of opposition, thus far, has been pretty poor. Cheltenham were alright, but the majority of the rest have looked very ordinary indeed.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

bixieupnorth wrote:so andy, bodin is the new danny stevens then!!
and hurrah, got a 42/1 5 timer up in france last night!! fortnights betting losses covered!!

:lol:

No, Danny is better than Billy and despite his obvious limitations as a footballer will harry around the pitch and have a go. Billy just doesn't do anything at all he's such a lazy c*nt. I would rather have Chris McPhee in instead because if we don't get any productivity then at least we get a shift out of him and a willingness to work for the team and fans. Bodin is a disgrace at the minute Bix but the sad thing is that we've SEEN what he can do but he has a contract now so why should he be bothered anymore?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wivelgull wrote:Reading the reports of Mr. Austrianandygull lead me, again, to the dawning realisation that a clear-out is needed. I have been to the home games (not the away games), so my view of the season so far is perhaps more rose-tinted than it should be; nevertheless the similarity of reports and analyses from those attending away games is disturbing. Mind you, the Burton and Plymouth home games which I attended were dire and perhaps these bear a similarity to the much-maligned away performances.
The bottom line is: we all want promotion. Sticking around for yet another season in League 2 won't do. Yet this is what will happen this season - and the next - unless we bite the bullet and spend at least some of the transfer money (Olejnik et al) on new and, most importantly, better players. We're going to have to grasp the idea that loyalty is a commendable trait in a human being, but one which doesn't cut much ice in producing a successful team. So some of the old hands will have to go, and go soon. No names, that wouldn't be fair, but we know who they are. Only a cleansing of the hives and the introduction of (relatively) expensive new bees (to use an analogy) will produce results.
Or are the present players good enough and the tactics wrong? I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable on tactical matters to comment.
Judging from this, you aren't sufficiently knowledgeable on a whole lot more than just tactical matters.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"