AN APOLOGY

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Nice work Ben. Couple of things; firstly, you're probably right about the effect it will have on the perception of the club and the fans. If the thread on their board is anything to go by, they found it considerably funnier than we did.
Secondly, regards your blade, the Criminal Justice Act 1988 s139 (3) offers guidance. Provided the cutting edge of blade of the implement was less than 3 inches long (and it meets the definition of a penknife, which doesn't seem to be in Statute, so will be subject to the Literal Rule of Statutory Interpretation), you'll not have been guilty of an offence.
Interesting also to see that it isn't an offence for which one may be removed from the ground. Seems strange that you can't have a beer during a match (even in the bar, within view of the pitch), but you can take a whistle and blow up for full time whenever you like.
Your final interesting point is that of the other stuff which is tolerated with such good humour by most, yet this one incident seems to have brought forward a torrent of abuse and suggestions that he is never forgiven. Anyone who feels that what Scottish has done is truly heinous and unforgivable should spend a match stood near Bartlett and listen to him call the linesman a "poser" (whatever the **** that is supposed to mean) for 90 minutes.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Anyone who feels that what Scottish has done is truly heinous and unforgivable should spend a match stood near Bartlett.
Is this an argument that's been saved by the bell..?
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

It might be time to draw a line under this one now. Poor Dom (And I was so annoyed when he did it!!!!) has made his apologies. We cannot turn back time, although I bet Dom wishes we could, so nothing can be changed. :'(

I'm 100% convinced the the poor lad will never do anything like this again, so lets accept his apology (As supporters) and move on.

I guess this is one that will go down into TUFC folklore history..........................like that bloody bell @!!*%% :@ :@
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I think it already has gone down in folklore, just for the sheer ridiculousness of his timing. I find it hilarious!

Well done Dom for making me chuckle.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Can anyone who was present please give a close description of where the play was, at the time of the whistle being blown? Something I have seen suggests that we were breaking with the ball, but were only just in their half... is that right?

Not quite in the same league as the Blackpool streaker all those years ago - bet he was far from popular with his fellow fans.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

Jonnyfive, The ball was in or near the Centre Circle.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

austrianandygull wrote:Dom is a qualified ref Matt who refs all over Scotland.
That explains everything really :lol:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

But WHY did he do it?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Thought it would be funny, much as it would have been had we not been about to smash in the winner*.

Matt.

*not actually true.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Diamondgirl, it is time to draw a line under this, Scottishgull could easily have kept his head down and let ths whole thing blow over, had turned up to another match not in his kilt most people would not even remember him, yet he stood up and said sorry.

I have read whats been written on other TUFC related forums (aswell as this one), don't really post on them so feel its not right to reply on either of them, however I know this thread is being read by members of those sites my message is to everyone, before you go climbing the moral high mountain here, take a moment and cast your mind back over your lifes, has any of you never really done anything which could be put down as an ill judged mistake, this is hardly the crime of the century, nothing more than an ill judged mistake which I am sure he will never do again.

As it has been posted above the team was on or near the halfway line, did he really stop us from scoring, highly unlikely , don't know scottishgull , as said above, he has said sorry time to accept his apology leave the poor lad alone and move on.
Formerly known as forevertufc
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed Diamondgirl, it is time to draw a line under this, Scottishgull could easily have kept his head down and let ths whole thing blow over, had turned up to another match not in his kilt most people would not even remember him, yet he stood up and said sorry.
Forever I know you are one of the more sensible posters always but on this occasion I do not agree entirely with you. I read and occasionally comment on the other two Torquay fans forums but I have not in regard to this particular issue.

He could not have easily kept his head down and let the whole thing blow over as he had 'Scottish Gull' written on his back, that is his user name on this forum, and it is absolutely clear from this thread that many people know him.

He has apologised and that is good. However the apologists who say that he only had a whistle with him because he is actually a referee are I am afraid talking nonsense!

Did he really think he was the referee for the game on Saturday? No he did not. He turned up in fancy dress for a game featuring Derbyshire and Devon teams and quite clearly wanted to draw attention to himself. He did so quite effectively. Where the ball was at the time of the incident is completely immaterial although it has been the subject of some debate.

But as far as sanctions are concerned it should not be Torquay United looking at banning him from games. That should be the Scottish Football Association. He is registered with them and he referees junior games. A long hard look as to whether he is setting the right example should be the criteria set by the Scottish FA disciplinary board.

However Forever, this is only my second and will be my last post on this thread. I will personally forget it ever happened and draw a line under it, as that equally sensible Diamond Girl suggested, and will leave it to the Scottish FA who should be the authority who have him standing before them to explain why he has brought the whole Scottish football officials system into disrepute.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Stef no worries it of course is your right to dissagree with me and I do get where your coming from, however I see on the match day thread of another forum the tale of the whistle blower rages on.

My last post on this is just repeat my simple message which I know peope understand so won't drag it out, most of us have been there and done somethig stupid, we all at one time or another have been given a second chance, thats what this lad deserves, so one and all give it to him.
Formerly known as forevertufc
oliemarles
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by oliemarles »

I too have had the pleasure of meeting Dom on a number of occasions and he is one of the most dedicated fans that this club have. And a great bloke too.

Yeah he has done something silly, don't we all? This nonsense about Scottish FA is utter rubbish, why because he had a whistle there for he should be punished for it in 2 way not just one?

I was not at the game, but from what I have heard the reaction from certain Torquay 'fans' should be the issue, not the original incident.

Love and peace xox
Procrastination is what built this world today! Sorry, I'm dribbling on...
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

oliemarles wrote:I too have had the pleasure of meeting Dom on a number of occasions and he is one of the most dedicated fans that this club have. And a great bloke too.

Yeah he has done something silly, don't we all? This nonsense about Scottish FA is utter rubbish, why because he had a whistle there for he should be punished for it in 2 way not just one?

I was not at the game, but from what I have heard the reaction from certain Torquay 'fans' should be the issue, not the original incident.

Love and peace xox
Just home from work from Cornwall direction so not at game tonight. Arrive home to find us losing. Red above I agree. It was meant to be a bit ironic and tongue in cheek but obviously wasn't read like that. It's difficult with the written word because it is not possible to put any inflection into it and there is no body language to guage where the guy is coming from. Dedicated fan or not it was still a bloody stupid thing to do and he really should have known better and perhaps particularly as a referee (note the attempt at inflection! ;-) ). He has apologised and although I don't know him I would guess he knows it and would also guess that he knows he made a right ass of himself (and I don't mean by wearing a skirt to a football game!). ;-)