Win or Lose against Burnley...?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Hi Burnley-Fan-442!

Cheers for that! I do think that you will do very well this year and beyond under Eddie Howe. I think he will be a top class manager in the near future and be in charge for a top Premiership club. I would put money on Burnley to be near the play off's if not higher this year really because of the manager you've got. He did great things at Bournemouth and he seems like a really nice guy. As for tomorrow’s game, we always up our game against higher league teams so it will be interesting how the game will turn out.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Gibraltargull wrote:Then hangover permitting I'll be there, been way too long since I watched the Gulls.
Also planning on coming opening game at Burton, as I'll still be here, and I'm going Keele Uni in Sept, so Burton, Crewe, Port Vale and Chesterfield are all doable away ties for me ^.^
Chesterfield are now in League 1, which is a shame for me too as i live within walking distance of the B2NET. With regards the Burnley game i think it will be our toughest pre-season game yet and a really good exercise. Like others have posted, confidence is high at the moment having won 3 on the spin and so long as we don't get a battering we should be able to retain that confidence and carry it on into the game v Burton.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Obviously I'd like us to win, but realistically I'd just take a hard fought and encouraging performance by the players.

I would have thought a number of changes will be made and rockets will have been shot up the backsides of the Burnley players if their performance was as bad as both Burnley and Rovers fans make out, so comparisons to Rovers performance last week will be pretty meaningless, even if we were to do better.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Win, lose or draw, I'm looking forward to seeing an entertaining game.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Gibraltargull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Gibraltargull »

andygullagain wrote: Chesterfield are now in League 1, which is a shame for me too as i live within walking distance of the B2NET. With regards the Burnley game i think it will be our toughest pre-season game yet and a really good exercise. Like others have posted, confidence is high at the moment having won 3 on the spin and so long as we don't get a battering we should be able to retain that confidence and carry it on into the game v Burton.
Woke up at half 1, in paignton, with all my clean clothes in newton abbot, just got back to newton now, and still haven't showered so I'll have to give this one a miss :(

Will be at Burton for the season kick off, and possibly rotherham in september as I plan on stopping down for a week before I go uni.

If I have the money I'll be coming down for the Argyle game too, as it's 2 days after my birthday.

Hoping to at least read about a good performance today on here later
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Anyone able to know about any updates on the game? Or is it on gullsplayer?
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

A 3-1 defeat would be excellent.

It would dampen down the pre-season mood a touch, whilst still offering hope that life will be good under Dinger.

Roll on 13/08/2011....
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm not sure it would, Yellow. Of all the matches we have played so far, this one is the one with the least relevance to the forthcoming season, and I would have said that no matter what the result. We were playing a full strength Championship side who may well be playing in the Premier League 12 months from now. We won't face anyone anywhere near that good. They sold a player (or two, can't remember) today for £3,000,000. That is one player, worth three times what the board paid for our entire club, how is that even close to relevant to the likes of Macclesfield, Morecambe or Barnet?

The top of L2 is about as good as the middle of L1 (lower middle, yes, but middle all the same), and we have turned over two middling L1 sides, fairly convincingly, in the last week. We lost 3-1 to a massive side today, with a number of our guaranteed starters missing for the majority of the match, a striker who missed an open goal, and a third for them which went in off the 'keepers arse.

All in all, no mood dampening here, just a dose of reality that, surprise surprise, our £20,000 squad isn't as good as their £20,000,000 squad.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:we have turned over two middling L1 sides, fairly convincingly, in the last week.
Bristol City are a Championship side.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Thanks Jezza, glad it was you who spotted my "deliberate" mistake. Look out for your prize arriving in the post....

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"