Win or Lose against Burnley...?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Win or Lose against Burnley...?

Post by Fonda »

What are people hoping for from tomorrows game against Burnley, and what do people think would be the ‘most beneficial’ result we could get? It’s obvious that winning does breed confidence, and the results against two pretty strong teams in Bristol and Exeter will have done just that. But is there a danger victory over Burnley could result in over-confidence spreading – throughout the team and the support? What we obviously don’t want is to go into the game against Burton with a casual attitude. So what would best serve the team, another win to further boost confidence, or a defeat that reminds everyone to keep our feet planted on the ground…?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Another win would keep confidence at a high level. The players are more than happy with the way things are going at the moment. But having spoken to many of them in the last week it is clear that they are aware that it is important to remain focused on the real competition and not peak too early. Well balanced attitude I call it. I don't think there is too much to worry about. :keepie: :keepie: :keepie:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

I wouldn't mind us getting a draw tbqh.

All I want though is for the team to play well, I think Ling will play his strongest side and make changes near the end of the game, if Atieno is signed he should start with Rene.

Olejnik - Should play full game
Oastler - Doesn't matter too much. 45mins+
Saah - Full game
Robbo - Full game
LRT - 45mins +
Macklin - 70mins
Eunan - full game
Mansell - full game
Morris - full game
Howe - 45mins - Kee 45mins
Atieno - full game
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

He did say half the squad would play 70 minutes against Exeter, with changes made in the last 20. And the other half of the squad would play 70 minutes tomorrow, with changes as necessary in the last 20. If anything, the team starting tomorrow will be 'the reserves' - although Morris and Atieno (if he's actually got round to writing his name on the dotted lineby then) will presumably start.
Last edited by Fonda on 22 Jul 2011, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

so long as we get a good performance, more minutes for the players etc, PSFs are about so much more than the result, but naturally we'd want a win. we know the starting XI will be different to that from the Exeter match, as Ling himself has said, so will give other players incentive to raise their game.

however, as the rovers fans have already been on here and kindly informed us that they beat burnley, who they also pointed out were very poor, we can expect the usual influx of gas fans if we don't beat them.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Probably something like this:

Rice
Oastler Ellis Palmer Nicholson
Yeoman Lathrope McPhee Morris
Atieno Spear

Assuming Atieno signs on the dotted line. I think Leadbitter is still injured and Halpin has only just returned to full training. Will do well to win with that side if Burnley play a strong XI, but I'm sure a few have a point to prove.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Oastler was one of only three players to play 90 minutes against Exeter though.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Fonda wrote:Oastler was one of only three players to play 90 minutes against Exeter though.
True but there's not many options if Leadbitter is unavailable. I suppose you could go with Mansell or Robbo but then they both started the other night too and I don't think Ling has any intention of using either as a RB this season. The other alternative is McPhee, shift Yeoman inside and play Halpin (assuming he's fit).
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone promoted from the Youth Team to cover there, as has happened already in pre-season with the use of Quinn and Kudi.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I think as long as we don't get a confidence-shattering spanking the result doesn't really matter. We've had a couple of good results to get the confidence up and make us fans happy, all remaining pitch time should just be about fitness levels and getting used to playing as a team.

Might be just as well to be playing a decent side who might put us under some pressure, doesn't sound like Bobby's had much to do so far, could do with some practise.
Gibraltargull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Gibraltargull »

Are tickets for this standard pricing, or cheaper? Couldn't find anything on here or the OS, so resigned up to ask.
First time I've been in Devon for a home game in about 3 years, so I fancy popping down, but not for £18 for a friendly.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Will be £10 for you
The gulls are going up
Gibraltargull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Gibraltargull »

Then hangover permitting I'll be there, been way too long since I watched the Gulls.
Also planning on coming opening game at Burton, as I'll still be here, and I'm going Keele Uni in Sept, so Burton, Crewe, Port Vale and Chesterfield are all doable away ties for me ^.^
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

At first I wasn't able to go to this one but luckily I can now! I hope we get another victory, to keep the confidence up with the players and the fans although a draw or a small defeat won’t be soul destroying! Looking forward to it! :)

(edit - Is there going to be a match thread made for this game?)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Burnley-fan-442
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Burnley-fan-442 »

Hello all.
Pre season friendlies are all about shape and fitness, however we all want to win them.
I did not go to Bristol but heard we were rubbish, however our 2 previous friendlies that I went to we were very good and won both games. Tomorrow, who knows I would sooner win but will take a good performance.
There should be a lot of Clarets there tomorrow, we had 250 plus at Bristol the other night. I am down for a weeks holiday (go nearly every year, I love the place!) but will hide away if we lose.
Good luck for the coming season, if pre season is a guide then you will do fine.