Your best ever XI.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote: Edit add on : I've done well Stefano to remember Trevor Shepherd from 1967-68 :nod:

Only been watching games at Plainmoor since 1965 (after the v Spurs FA Cup 3rd). :nod:
Only a couple of years different as I started in September 1963 and I notice we've picked several of the same players. Yes Trevor Shepherd was one of those I had forgotten and reading through others posts it's amazing just how many players have slipped out of my mind over the years. Wonderful little player Trevor Shepherd and of course played in that 3-0 Match of the Day win against Bury that we have recently discussed on another thread. :keepie:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Fonda wrote:-------------------------Big Nev

Holmes--------Elliot--------------Saunders------Mcglinchey

-------------McCall-----Greavsie------Fowler

---------------------------Russell

-----------------Graham----------Jack

I assumed no loanee's? Otherwise Jason Roberts would have been up front alongside DG.
Exactly the team I would pick Shane! :O

I can only imagine that more people haven't picked Wes due to their memories being tainted by his inept management spell. As a player he was simply awesome!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stefano wrote: Only a couple of years different as I started in September 1963 and I notice we've picked several of the same players. Yes Trevor Shepherd was one of those I had forgotten and reading through others posts it's amazing just how many players have slipped out of my mind over the years. Wonderful little player Trevor Shepherd and of course played in that 3-0 Match of the Day win against Bury that we have recently discussed on another thread. :keepie:
:clap: :~D :clap: I was in the Mini Stand that day.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Jerry wrote: Exactly the team I would pick Shane! :O

I can only imagine that more people haven't picked Wes due to their memories being tainted by his inept management spell. As a player he was simply awesome!
Wes was a beast.

Have to admit, i struggled to find a way of getting the 4 midfielders that i wanted into an 11 and this was the only way i could manage it!
Last edited by Fonda on 15 Jun 2011, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
surreygull66
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: mike mahoney

Post by surreygull66 »

Based on the performances of the players when actually playing for gulls over last 45 years (not loanees}, my side would be;

GK; Mahoney (southall was past his best but would be on subs bench)

Full backs; Paul Homes & Billy Kitchener (Gibbs, Gurney & Baxter in the shake up)

Central Defence; John Benson, Matt Elliott, & Jimmy Dunne, (Benson playing in front of the other two) (Gritton, Saunders, Brown, Boulton, Moore, Thomas in the shake up)

Midfield 3; Rodney Jack, Alex Russell, Mark Loram,(Lee Sharp, John Smith, Mitchenson also considered!)

Front 2; Robin Stubbs & David Graham. (Cooper, possibly Lee but Roberts was only a loanee so not considered)

Can argue these as the 60's side gets better with age!!
fatboywoz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: danny stevens

Post by fatboywoz »

(gk) KENNY VEYSEY

(rb) PAUL HOLMES (cb) MATT ELLIOTT (cb) PHIL LLOYD (lb) BRIAN McGLINCHEY

(RWM) PAUL SMITH (rcm) ALEX RUSSELL (lcm)JASON FOWLER (lwm) MARK LORAM

(cf) DAVID GRAHAM (cf) RODNEY JACK
manager: LEROY ROSENIOR

subs: NEVILLE SOUTHALL,WES SAUNDERS,LEE SHARPE,PAUL DOBSON,

I need not say a word ladies and gentlemen because that team speaks for itself. :scarf:
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Kenny Veysey was nowhere our best keeper.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i'm feeling lazy at moment, may come up with an XI later on, but having breezed through, didn't see any mention anywhere of our Commercial Manager Dean Edwards. admittedly, i was a mere lad when we reached the Sherpa Van Trophy Final, so didn't see many games that year, but the ones i did see, he is one of the players who remains in my mind. not sure he'd make my XI anyway, but thought he was worth a mention. i'll probably be shot down in flames as a result, so feel free to correct me if i just happened to see the only good games he had for us !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
fatboywoz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by fatboywoz »

goalkeeper was a tough choice i can only choose out of players i have seen and remember,in the 24 plus years i have been watching and supporting the gulls veysey just about comes top.big nev and andy marriott come close though.cant really name many quality keepers.im sure veysey was player of the year in 89 despite his season being cut short by injury and then got sold to oxford who were 2 divisions above,how many keepers have we got a fee for,he was pretty superb in the 98 season also(oh so close that time). :scarf:
fatboywoz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by fatboywoz »

regiment wrote:i'm feeling lazy at moment, may come up with an XI later on, but having breezed through, didn't see any mention anywhere of our Commercial Manager Dean Edwards. admittedly, i was a mere lad when we reached the Sherpa Van Trophy Final, so didn't see many games that year, but the ones i did see, he is one of the players who remains in my mind. not sure he'd make my XI anyway, but thought he was worth a mention. i'll probably be shot down in flames as a result, so feel free to correct me if i just happened to see the only good games he had for us !!
deano came very close to my list, (well subs bench),scored two different games at wembley, top scorer in promotion season ahead of tommy tynan.ran around like headless chicken a lot of the time but his workrate was fantastic.a lot of players from that era i look at with rose tinted glasses because i was a young boy then and footballers are like heroes at that age,hence a few have made my list.plus footballers werent such to$$ers then.(OR AT LEAST DIDNT SEEM TO BE) :scarf:
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Those of you interested in this sort of thing might want to have a look and comment on this; http://torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will be needing your help on it!
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Going by choosing a team of players during my time supporting Torquay, I have finally decided on this line-up

GK Neville Southall

RB Andy Gurney
LB Brian McGlinchey
CB Steve Woods
CB Wayne Thomas

LM Kevin Hill
RM Chris Zebroski
CM Alex Russell
CM Jason Fowler

FW Rodney Jack
ST David Graham

Subs Kevin Dearden, Guy Branston, Rueben Hazell, Chris Brandon, Chris Hargreaves, Jo Kuffour, Eifion Williams

Obviously there are several players not included who I've heard were brilliant, but because I never saw them play I felt i could not include here. So this is my team since 96/97. I also feel honourable mentions should go to Tony Bedeau, an old favourite of mine from when i was younger who doesn't quite deserve to make the team, and also Matt Hockley. Never the greatest playerin the team but always gave 100% for us which i always admired.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

fatboywoz wrote:goalkeeper was a tough choice i can only choose out of players i have seen and remember,in the 24 plus years i have been watching and supporting the gulls veysey just about comes top.big nev and andy marriott come close though.cant really name many quality keepers.im sure veysey was player of the year in 89 despite his season being cut short by injury and then got sold to oxford who were 2 divisions above,how many keepers have we got a fee for,he was pretty superb in the 98 season also(oh so close that time). :scarf:
Besides Kenny ?

Um ? John Dunn to Aston Villa, Mike Mahoney to Newcastle, John Turner to Chesterfield, Matthew Gregg to Crystal Palace . . . . . .
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
fatboywoz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by fatboywoz »

like i said i can only judge keepers i have seen in my time watching torquay,the first three keepers there were before my time,remember matthew gregg though was very suprised when palace signed him.didnt he nearly drop a right bollock in the 98 play off final im sure a commentator said it would have been the biggest keeper error ever seen under the twin towers. :scarf:
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

I can't believe i haven't seen Van Heusden (?) in goal yet. He doesn't make my list either, but that was one tall shot stopping keeper.

Marriot
Watson Moore
Gibbs Gurney

Greavsie

Fowler Russell

Jack Graham Kuffor

I think you can only have gibbs and gurney if you're having them both. The amount of times a team would be able to deal with one attacking full back, only for the other one to set up a goal was outstanding. Moore, even at 18 was a hero. He has no regard for his personal safety. Watson was the same. I figure Russle and Fowler can focus on setting up goals with Greavsie cleaning up. Jack and kuffour running rings, while graham puts them in from 18 yard line. perfect.

Notable mentions
Goodridge, Tom Kelly, McGlinchley, Bedeau, Hill, Darby, Okorie, Nev, Mcall,

People i wish i'd never seen

Mark Sale, gary nelson (except his last min winner again mansfield), Dearden, Hockley, Benefield, Chris curran, Waddle, Reeves, wilmot