Your best ever XI.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Your best ever XI.

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Just a little thing to think about; what would you say is the best 11 you've ever seen in a Torquay shirt? It doesn't have to be the 11 that played together at one time, just through all of your time following the Gulls. I think it'll be quite interesting to see peoples opinions, although I wasn't around to see a good number of the players that will be mentioned!! I started following Torquay in 2003/04, so heres mine:

GK: Andy Marriott - He was outstanding in the years he played for us, a top quality keeper, I thought. Played a big role in the Great Escape season of 2005/06, aswell as almost helping us to stay in League One. Others considered include Michael Poke, Kevin Dearden and Nathan Abbey.

RB: Reuben Hazell - He was calm, had a turn of pace to him, and was strong. I really liked Reuben, I'll always sweetly remember him scoring for us against Oxford in the run in of our promotion year at Plainmoor, as we hammered them 3-0. Quality player, shown by where he is now.

CB: Steve Woods - Woodsie was quality. His partnership with Craig Taylor was excellent, possibly the best central defensive partnership I've seen in a TUFC shirt. He could score goals and he was very good at keeping them out at the other end. I'd like to see him back at the club in one way or another sometime soon.

CB: Guy Branston - I can't believe how much of a revelation he's been for us, since joining 18 months ago. I thought we'd signed a nutcase, but it seems that he's curbed his behaviour, as the one red card shows. Very, very solid, integral part of the 998 minutes last year. Others considered were Mark Ellis, Craig Taylor.

LB: Brian McGlinchey - Outstanding full back. It was such a shame to see his career ended by injury, but Glinch was one of my early heroes. He really was a coup for the club, and he helped massively as we got promoted. Kevin Nicholson was considered.

RM: Martin Phillips - He was a class act too, but unfortunately he's another who's career has been ended by injury. He didn't play for us for long, but whenever I saw him he looked like he could do something special. Quality player on his day. Others considered are Chris Zebroski and Liam Rosenior.

CM: Alex Russell - Aggy. What a fantastic player he was. I have never seen someone look so composed on the ball, and be able to pass the ball around so majestically. He was an incredible footballer, who played a key, key role in getting us up to League One.

CM: Chris Hargreaves - Another key player for us in a promotion year. It looks like TUFC has a firm spot in Hargreaves' heart, and he has a spot in the heart of many fans of TUFC too. That goal at Wembley, I can remember it like it was yesterday. He was a huge part of our success under Paul Buckles stewardship. Others considered were Eunan O'Kane, Lee Mansell and Jason Fowler*.

LM: Kevin Hill - Loyalty if I ever saw it. Fully deserved to become our holder of the 'most appearances', and Wembley as the location was fitting too. I've so many memories of Hilly; hiding behind the keeper before nipping the ball off him to score, and of course, that unbelievable overhead kick against Macclesfield in 2004. That still remains the best goal I've ever seen.

ST: Tim Sills - Again, a key role in our promotion back to the League. Never have I seen such a dominant centre forward play for Torquay. 90% of aerial challenges, he won. A fantastic goalscoring record over the two seasons says it all, for me. Always be remembered for the "clincher" at Wembley too.

ST: David Graham - DG. Another excellent goalscorer, who should have gone onto bigger and better things, and stayed there. I'd imagine that if he didn't have problems with alcohol/smoking, he'd still be playing in the Football League now, after enjoying the peak of his career in the top two tiers. Still, it wasn't to be, but he remains one of my favourite players in a yellow shirt.

------------------

Cor, this was a bit harder than I expected, to try and think of people in some of the positions, so I'd imagine it'd be even harder for people who've watched TUFC for decades!!

*Fowler would probably have edged out Hargreaves, had I seen in when he was at his peak, a few years prior to when I started watching the Gulls. However, I never saw him at his best and he was fighting his injury, before retiring, hence why Jesus gets in there instead.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

If David Caldwell, Tom Kelly, Paul Hall and Mark Loram are not in the list then stick a fork in my eye. =D Also I would have Matt Elliot over Guy Branston.
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

If it's based on players I have seen myself in a Torquay shirt, it will be the following:

GK - Neville Southall
RB - Andy Gurney
LB - Paul Gibbs
DC - Craig Taylor
DC - Jon Gittens
MR - Jason Fowler
ML - Steve McCall
CM - Chris Hargreaves
CM - Alex Russell
CF - David Graham
CF - Rodney Jack

Subs: Arjan Van Heusden, Kevin Nicholson, Guy Branston, Gregory Goodridge, Jo Kuffour, Adrian Foster, Tim Sills.
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

You are right it is hard to pick a best ever side. I would say there are a few big names missing from your x11 that would walk into my best 11, but I may have been around a while longer, :)

Neville Southall

Robbie Herrera
Darren Moore
Matt Elliott
Jim McNichol (capt)

Rodney Jack
Wes Saunders
Alex Russell
lee Sharpe

David Graham
Tommy Tynan

That 11 would :whip: yours all day. :scarf:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Fat Nev

Brian Mcglinchey
Matt Elliot
Darren Moore
Jim McNichil

Paul Hall
David Caldwell
Alex Russell
Lee Sharpe

David Graham
Mark Loram

That 11 would murder Man Utd

Subs. Tom Kelly, Tommy Tynan, Gareth Howells, Steve Woods, Kevin Hill, Rodney Jack

Manager Cyril Knowells

Toilet Cleaner Paul Buckle
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Warwickgull wrote:You are right it is hard to pick a best ever side. I would say there are a few big names missing from your x11 that would walk into my best 11, but I may have been around a while longer, :)

Neville Southall

Robbie Herrera
Darren Moore
Matt Elliott
Jim McNichol (capt)

Rodney Jack
Wes Saunders
Alex Russell
lee Sharpe

David Graham
Tommy Tynan

That 11 would :whip: yours all day. :scarf:
Wes Saunders in midfield? That is contentious! Thought he looked like a fish out of water there, and it was only when he moved to the back that we saw his real ability.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

I've only been a gull for 7 years but here goes. MARRIOT, CANOVILLE, TAYLOR, WOODS, NICHOLSON, FOWLER, RUSSELL, HOCKLEY, KUFFOUR, GRAHAM, GRITTON.

best of the rest, BRANSTON, HILL, BENYON
exmouthgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: zebs

Post by exmouthgull1 »

joe kuffour has got to be in there somewhere, he was a fantastic player for us,loved watching him play. Andy marriot is the best keeper ive seen in a tufc shirt, tony bedeua worth a mention in his day was as very good player.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

GK - Neville Southall
LB - Robbie Herrera
CB - Wayne Thomas
CB - Matt Elliott
RB - Reuben Hazell
ML - Lee Sharpe
MR - Rodney Jack
MC - Alex Russell
MC - Don Mills
F - Justin Fashanu
F - Sammy Collins
gullsarmee
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by gullsarmee »

Best ever involving players I have seen? Possibly the following

1. Mike Mahoney
2. John Bond
3. Brian McGlinchey
4. Matt Elliot
5. Ken Brown
6. Alex Russell
7. Rodney Jack
8. David Graham
9. Robin Stubbs
10. Colin Lee
11. Mark Loram

There are many others over the years who are more than worthy of inclusion in any team of greats and who would grace any "greats XI". Unfortunately, my memory does not extend to the era of Sammy Collins and Don Mills, but I am sure veteran supporters remember them well. Similarly, there are great players who have probably slipped my mind, but I think the above team trained to modern day levels of fitness, would have knocked on the door of the Championship with a heavy thump.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Thoroughly enjoy threads like these but bloody hard to choose a 'legends 11'!!

On the flip side, what are peoples worst 11 that they've seen grace a United shirt?!?!?!......
KlinK
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by KlinK »

Not sure what the criteria are here. I guess it must be players I have seen in a Torquay shirt but is it based on how good they were in the Torquay shirt or how good they were either before they appeared for Torquay or how good they became later?

If it is the latter then my line up would be:

N.Southall

K.Curle
S.Bould
M.Elliott
J.Bond

C.Waddle
B.Rioch
T.Currie
L.Sharpe

J.Roberts
C. Lee

If the former then:

M.Mahoney

C. Bettany
D. Harrison
J. Dunne
J. Bond

L. Baxter
J. Smith
D. Mills
M. Loram

R. Stubbs
D. Graham

The second team being far harder to pick with many difficult choices to be made.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Mine (based on players I've seen since I started watching in 1997):

GK: Neville Southall (watched a game away at Northampton were we had 3 players sent off - Herrera, Lee Russell and Brian Healy? - and lost 3-0, but Big Nev was absolutely incredible)

RB: Andy Gurney (Solid, dependable, great set-piece man I think)

CB: Steve Woods (Legend. Solid as a rock and popped up with a few goals now and again)

CB: Craig Taylor (As above, minus the goals and the pace of Woods, but few got past him)

LB: Brian McGlinchey (Awesome. Absolute icon of that promotion team. Wicked left peg and hardly put a foot wrong)

RM: Jo Kuffour (Tore people apart and set up so many goals in his time, and scored a fair few as well)

CM: Jason Fowler (controversial I know, but I reckon he was better than Aggy on his day. Calm, composed and sprayed passes around like no tommorow. Still remember that goal he placed in the bottom corner on the opening day of the 2003/4 season at Northampton)

CM: Alex Russell (Words not needed. Total legend and one of the most gifted footballers to play here)

LM: Steve McCall (Awesome player. No legs at all but quality. Not strictly a left-midfielder but I'm sure he could play there! Scored a great lob against Scarborough in the playoffs the year we got to Wembley if I remember rightly)

F: David Graham (He was just the man. Another hero of mine. On his day he was incredible. Shame that he's playing where he is now)

F: Rodney Jack (Another legend. Wicked pace, an eye for goal, and quality hair)

Subs: Andy Marriott, Kevin Nicholson, Jon Gittens, Kevin Hill, Chris Hargreaves, Martin Phillips, Tim Sills

Others who were up for consideration include Robbie Herrera, Eifion Williams (bit of a hero of mine it must be said), Kevin Hill, Paul Gibbs, Reuben Hazell, Wayne Thomas and many more.
Last edited by miltonkeynesgull on 12 Jun 2011, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Well this is really a difficult one:-

For me (4-4-2):-

Neville Southall

John Bond
Ken Brown
Matt Elliott
Billy Kitchener

Rodney Jack
Alex Russell
Jimmy Dunne
Lee Sharpe

Robin Stubbs
David Graham

Subs:
Mike Mahoney (gk)
Bruce Rioch
Jo Kuffour
Wayne Thomas
Donal Murphy
Kevin Nicholson
Chris Waddle

I make it 7 or 8 internationals in the squad but there are numerous players I have seen who could not feature because of numbers including Tony Currie, Colin Lee, Mark Loram, Mike Mahoney, Justin Fashanu, Terry Adlington, Reuben Hazell, Robbie Herrera, Colin Bettany, Tony Scott, and many many more, as well as those who were playing before my time including the legend Don Mills and Sammy Collins.

Kevin Nicholson may look a bit out of place in that squad but I was thinking of the strengths he has to come on from the bench if things need changing (a Plan B the new Bristol Rovers manager never has! ;-) )

Certainly gets you thinking and I am sure I must have missed mentioning loads of good players who just could not be recalled by this very old memory! =D
mcgull1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodny Jack Jack Jack

Post by mcgull1 »

Been watching since about 1988, so here goes my list......

GK Kenny Veysey

RB Paul Holmes
CB Wes Saunders
CB Matt Elliott
LB Robbie Herrera

RW Gregory Goodridge
CM Jason Fowler
CM Alex Russell
LW Mark Loram

ST Rodney Jack
ST Dean Sturridge