Torquay United v Barnet Sat. 22 May KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Barnet were far better than expected and we were well below our best. Didn’t really deserve to be two ahead.

Positives are that it hasn’t made a huge difference (unless we’d had a big win). Sutton need two draws rather than one win. And that we are pretty much guaranteed second now.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I don't buy the "at least we are guaranteed a home semi-final play-off now" argument. Playoffs are won by teams arriving at the close of the season with momentum - something we and Stockport (and possibly Hartlepool - we shall see tomorrow), seem to have lost. Notts County, Chesterfield and Wrexham seem to be coming good just at the right time and will be challenging hard.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well mathematically they need 2 draws but one will be enough for the title.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Modgull wrote: 22 May 2021, 19:38 I don't buy the "at least we are guaranteed a home semi-final play-off now" argument. Playoffs are won by teams arriving at the close of the season with momentum - something we and Stockport (and possibly Hartlepool - we shall see tomorrow), seem to have lost. Notts County, Chesterfield and Wrexham seem to be coming good just at the right time and will be challenging hard.
Indeed, that’s often the case.
Maybe a two week break will help us. And if Sutton win tomorrow we can take it easy for the Altringham game too.

However, we can still hope -
It’s unlikely that Sutton will lose both their games but Hartlepool need a win tomorrow and having seen the way Barnet played today they must have a chance against Sutton.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I too think we got our tactics completely wrong today. Little was awful, gifted them two goals. We should have started with Evans in central midfield, and played another forward up front with Boden.

Kimpioka might have missed a couple of chances but in both previous games he has created those two chances out of nothing really. When he came on today he looked like his pace was going to cause them problems through the middle but was then farmed out to the left wing whilst we hoisted long balls up to Waters and Evans, and then latterly put Cameron up there as well.

That caused us to be overrun at the back as Hall and Andrews were too slow. Our tactics and formation just looked completely ridiculous in the second half and was crying out for Evans energy in the centre of midfield.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 22 May 2021, 18:23 Utter rubbish! We had plenty of atmosphere and shout at 2-0!
Were you there?
It was bloody hard - spread out on the pop and behind the goal and masks on ffs.
if that had been a normal game it wouldnt have been a problem.
There would have 4,000+ there.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote: 23 May 2021, 00:11 I too think we got our tactics completely wrong today. Little was awful, gifted them two goals. We should have started with Evans in central midfield, and played another forward up front with Boden.

Kimpioka might have missed a couple of chances but in both previous games he has created those two chances out of nothing really. When he came on today he looked like his pace was going to cause them problems through the middle but was then farmed out to the left wing whilst we hoisted long balls up to Waters and Evans, and then latterly put Cameron up there as well.

That caused us to be overrun at the back as Hall and Andrews were too slow. Our tactics and formation just looked completely ridiculous in the second half and was crying out for Evans energy in the centre of midfield.
Little was awful.
Shouldn't have played at Stockport and as you say gifted the two goals.
First one fannying around with the ball 30yrds from goal.
I'm not even going to point he finger at Sam Sherring as he was put in that position by Little's give away.
Then gives the free kick away for the 2nd.
Shocking.
Took a free kick from the left and it sailed over the bar.
I mean, where has that player gone?
Shows how much we miss Ben and Aaron as well as DW.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

brucie wrote: 23 May 2021, 00:11 I too think we got our tactics completely wrong today. Little was awful, gifted them two goals. We should have started with Evans in central midfield, and played another forward up front with Boden.

100% :goodpost:
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am not sure why Johnson persists in playing Little as the so called play maker, he has had numerous opportunities since his return from injury to show that he is back to the player that we once rated so highly. What has returned is a player that can no longer tackle, has lost the ability to make the incisive pass and unless he plays in the centre gives the impression of sulking and does not contribute, it is easy to apportion blame but he cost us the points yesterday.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Thoroughly agree with you Brucie...and with Nick earlier that we are a young team still learning. Having said that we looked tired both physically and mentally in the second half, and Barnet looked most likely to score as they took control of midfield and coped easily with our aerial approach; Barnet did at least shoot on target (and thanks to LC for some decent saves and a point) whereas we couldn't hit the proverbial barn door - what is so difficult about making a young goalkeeper earn his crust?
So things still to work more on - marking opponents at set pieces, having someone on the edge of the penalty area for half-clearances, making the keeper play, suggesting to our own keeper that he should marshall his area instead of allowing attackers to outnumber his defenders at set pieces and should concentrate on the penalty taker rather than wasting his energy and opportunity to outthink by imitating a bouncing windmill.
COYY, stick to the basics and our ability to play decent football; it has been a terrific season, and a rollercoaster, but let's try to finish it in style.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Yesterday was frustrating but credit to Barnet they played like a team with nothing to lose and battled hard and got men behind the ball.
Our defence did look shaky for the first time in a while bringing Cameron on was a good choice.
I agree with the comments about little, he hasn’t been the same player since he has been injured and not delivered the promise, wouldn’t be surprised if he is released whatever happens over the next few weeks.
It will be information to see what Gary does next week if the title is lost. Rest key players and give them 2 weeks until the playoff or try keep momentum. It will also give us time to get Whitfield, Wright and maybe Namayne back (he has been training)
With regards to the atmosphere people did try, it’s not normal circumstances and the nerves on the pitch got to people.
Just a thought with most noise coming from the Babacombe road end should we opt to shoot that way in the second half? The family stand is dead and generates no noise.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Having seen the majority of games home and away on stream apart from yesterday I have not seen Little have a good game.
As someome else said he sulks and I hate that in a player.
Whatever the outcome of our season he would be top of my disposal list along with Umerah.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Possibly but he would use his skills better if there were an aggressive Lacey midfield balwinner perhaps?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

If Johnson is manager next season and he will be unless he decides to call it a day, Little will be here.
The management duo have to really earn their corn in the next few weeks, on the mental side of things. If the players ' froze a bit' in Gary's words , the pressure in a home semi final will be on a different level. I dont think it's an advantage at all being at home, especially in this Covid restricted time, the atmosphere is not the same and maybe the tension in the crowd transmits to the players. They have got to rise above that and believe in themselves. It will obviously be a totally different game to yesterdays open affair. The team had been defending very well up until yesterday and can do that again, we have to be patient and be clinical when we get the chances.
I thought Waters actually looked lively yesterday and Boden did well first half, Kimpioka could be important in the last half hour more so as a physical presence unsettling defenders and creating space for others than as an actual goal threat, watching the pre match warm up shooting practice he really struggled to find the net , in fact he didn't in about 10 attempts and was not striking clean shots. He has been a disappointment so far but still time for him to make an impact.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not so sure we froze yesterday but it seemed more that we were obsessed with the league table more than concentrating on the opposition. I'd actually put the blame on the manager rather the players - by the nature of his pre match comments he seemed more obsessed with scoring 6 goals than the players were.

Being two goals up seemed to affect us - you could see that the players were hell bent on restarting the game after we scored and there was only 20 minutes gone - it was totally lunacy.

Undoubtedly though the turning point was the ludicrous penalty we gifted them. Little's pathetic squandering of possession on the edge of our box should have led to him being substituted there and then. Sherring didn't need to make the tackle as the player had gone wide, but he'd taken a knock so I wouldn't blame him