Torquay United v Barnet Sat. 22 May KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United v Barnet Sat. 22 May KO 3pm

Post by portugull »

United host Barnet today in the Final Home Game of a 42 Game Season.

In an ideal world United will win 6-0 to improve their goal difference and put more pressure on Sutton who host Hartlepool tomorrow.

However we all know that in Football you never know what will happen for sure and it is the unpredictability which makes Football the great team Sport it is.

With approx 2,000 Home Fans present we are in for a memorable afternoon.

I am going for 4-0 to United.

Sadly some of our friends will not be there and I am looking forward to the Clubs Tribute to them before Kick Off.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

2-2...

When we went 2-0 up I thought we would be on for 4-0.

Now I’m worried we may lose 😞

COYY
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Sadly I believe we got a few things wrong today in the search for goals. We also need to remember how young our squad is and panic set in at times.

This will not detract from a fantastic season, still lots to play for. I still fear Notts County in the play offs.

In Gary we trust 💛
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

At least we are guaranteed not to finish below 3rd, so will only have 1 game, at home, before the final. :scarf:
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 22 May 2021, 16:28 2-2...

When we went 2-0 up I thought we would be on for 4-0.

Now I’m worried we may lose 😞

COYY
When we went 2-0 up i thought we were riding the luck train to a win

That score line hid the fact we were playing poorly and Barnet should have leveled at 1-0

We panicked at 2-1 and 'our game' went out the window - long balls to LHE and Waters in the 2nd half was meat and drink to their 2 huge CBs

Tactically and mentally poor today.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Not sure what everyone is thinking but I feel very deflated, if Barnet play like that against Sutton they are in for a tough ride, I agree we are a young side that will learn its not all about attacking, as Stockport drew today second place is ours which when reflecting on our season is no small achievement, looking forward to the play offs.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Also have to say, what a poor atmosphere too!

The performance wasn't good at all but there was certainly no real effort to create an atmosphere to try and give us a boost. A few token efforts but not much more

We will need a noisy crowd in the play off semi!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 22 May 2021, 18:06 Also have to say, what a poor atmosphere too!

The performance wasn't good at all but there was certainly no real effort to create an atmosphere to try and give us a boost. A few token efforts but not much more

We will need a noisy crowd in the play off semi!
Hard to create an atmosphere when everyone is 2m apart with masks on.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

notnow wrote: 22 May 2021, 18:19 Hard to create an atmosphere when everyone is 2m apart with masks on.
Utter rubbish! We had plenty of atmosphere and shout at 2-0!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

If there is any indication of COVID impacting our enjoyment next season I for one will not be renewing my ST.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 22 May 2021, 18:23 Utter rubbish! We had plenty of atmosphere and shout at 2-0!
Really? A muffled “atmosphere” perhaps it was the best you could expect but not really enough to feel it.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

nonsense notnow
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

An eventful game which started with 2 wonderful goals from Jake & Connor.

However from early doors Barnet looked dangerous and we seemed very open to counter attacks.

When Sherring conceded a penalty after 37 minutes Gary quickly brought on Kyle Cameron to try and bring more discipline to the defence.

When Barnet equalised on 54 mins the game became very open and on several occasions Barnet nearly scored making for a very nervy last 20 mins.In the end Barnet deserved a draw and Sutton will not find them easy meat next Saturday.

We should now be just about guaranteed 2nd place unless Hartlepool score a shedload of goals in their last 2 games.

The only way we can finish Top is if we win at Alty and Sutton lose their last 2 games.

Sutton v Hartlepool tomorrow could be very interesting.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If Sutton do drop points tomorrow we are going to feel terrible about our missed opportunity. If Barnet play like that next week it's not difficult to see two draws for Sutton and we will have blown it big time.
Don't know about anyone else but I am not confident going into the playoffs, I think I would rather play the semi final away .
Little can't start that game on his current form, too much of a luxury player, I don't know what's happened to him. Where was Whitfield today ? Another player comes back one week then injured again ?
Obviously Sherring was suffering from something to be withdrawn like that.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

I thought that the team was not well set up today - I was surprised that Cameron was on the bench and thought Little didn't deserve a starting place based on recent form. Our tactics looked amateurish - poor delivery and too many players in the area for set-pieces and insufficient cover for the counter-attacks. Having said that we rode our luck and got the two goal lead which should have propelled us to the good win that we needed. Instead the defence went into melt down and Barnet fully deserved to pull back a goal before half time. However, it could well have been more. Second half we went from poor to clueless at times and the only surprise was that Barnet could only manage one further goal. For that we have to thank Covalan for another match-saving performance. To think that their keeper hardly had to break sweat in the second half says it all. I only hope that we can recover the balance and discipline which characterised much of the season, otherwise we will struggle in the playoffs.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint