Paul Cox Appointed Manager

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

We were exciting under Bucks in the first year and we were very direct. He and us did change over the next couple of years but being a more direct physical team isn't a new thing for us. In fact it'll probably suit us because we won't be able to afford the better players.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

If we get players like Bucks brought in that first season and play that style of direct football I think I might actually be quite happy. I'm thinking though that the players we sign may not quite be of that quality though.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Personally, I would be behind any kind of 'kick and rush' long ball tactics if it got us results. And as has been previously mentioned; this tactic will likely suit the limited budget we have available and to be honest - this can be an incredibly effective tactic at this level, where pitches aren't always conducive to 'tiki taka' football.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Currently after the months of turmoil and developments I am delighted we have a club to support. I believe we are still not in the best position but we have a chance. I believe Paul Cox is a good appointment and certainly in our position probably the best we could get. I was against CH 's tenure for several reasons but that is history and i want to look forward.
I feel far more confident that Paul Cox will develop his team to get results and if its not pretty right now i couldn't care less. I want to be back in the league and whatever it takes i will support his tactics. Maybe a little FA Cup run would nt go amiss, no pressure Paul:)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33183275 http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 98784.aspx
The past is the past, and it's now the beginning of a new era. There's a long road ahead, but there's no reason why the club should not eventually reach its desired destination. And we supporters can play our part in making that happen. Really looking forward to the first game.

Added in 7 minutes 49 seconds:
[youtube]jKhqRvPeD8Q[/youtube]

I trust the shirt sponsor's insolvency sign in the background is pure co-incidence..!! :)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Very confident introduction from Paul. Don't think he will make excuses like the previous management. Good luck
Lucy
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Thought it was a down to earth honest and realistic interview from both Paul and Dean actually.
TUST MEMBER
Stephentsd
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Briscoe

Post by Stephentsd »

yeovilgull wrote:Really pleased with this appointment. We have been crying out for someone with experience and a good track record at this level. I'm not overly concerned by the style of play. If the ball is getting into the box quicker and more often it should make things more exciting where it really matters providing we have players who can deal with it when the ball gets there.
A massive rebuilding job to be done and I'd settle for a steady first season providing we are well organised and difficult to beat.
Stags fans, thanks for your comments and the links. We know PC is very direct in his play but can you shed any light on his favoured formation and how he likes to set the team up? Does he go for the journeyman type of player, youngsters or a good mix?
He likes to play 4411, but when in the league he played 3412, he will change the formation for away games at times, hes played 433 and also 4231, but his prefered is 4411 i suppose it depends on who he can bring in. The type of player hes interested in is somebody who will run through a brick wall, put 110% in, you may want to google anthony howell, hes a midfielder very good at breaking up play, athletic but cant really pass, hes great for the conference, i would be shocked if cox doesnt go in for him, he is a norringham lad, with a young family and runs a business so unsure if he'll move down.

Im very interested with who cox brings in, i know this is a very difficult time for you but trust me, your in good hands and can look up with cox in charge
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thanks - possible good shout on Howell, played 36 times for Alfreton last season. Got booked when he played against us at Plainmoor. Also played when we lost up there. Looks like a Cox player, can run around a lot. He is 29 now though and if he does have a business as you say is he going to come to the south west?
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I liked how down to earth Paul is, he seems like a shrewd appointment to me. When asked the question "how can we attract players down here?" he spun it in a more as a positive angle - as in players want to come down here for the lifestyle and it's about finding the ones who really want to play too. Dean added it's about buying into Torbay and South Devon as a place and as an area, and I think perhaps over the past years we've been conned by managers and people on here that Torquay is not a good place to come, live, and play football. For many who have lived all their life up in the North or London, perhaps we here can offer somewhere to get away and start again in both a personal and footballing sense.

It worked for many of course, I think back to players like Graham, Akinfenwa, Russell, O'Kane - essentially any of our key players over the years who have been originally based up country to come down here and develop into fantastic players, and turn their career around. If we pay them a sensible wage, have them look around the area and have ambition as a club, why can't we be seen as a good place to come and play football?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14