Paul Cox Appointed Manager

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Paul Cox Appointed Manager

Post by Neal »

TUST MEMBER
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Welcome Mr Cox! May you have many happy seasons winning games with us!

So, does anyone know much about him besides his management career to date? Looks like he had a fairly short playing career and started managing at 33. (Wikipedia)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Welcome to the club Paul Cox, so the worst kept secret is finally out.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Pleased the club have acted switfly. Let's see what he can do.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that he has walked into a similar situation (reduced budget) to the one he left 'by mutual consent' at Mansfield? I hope he realises what he's getting himself into.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bobby93 wrote:Pleased the club have acted switfly. Let's see what he can do.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that he has walked into a similar situation (reduced budget) to the one he left 'by mutual consent' at Mansfield? I hope he realises what he's getting himself into.

Think there was more to that situation according to my mate who's a stags fan.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Good luck to him. Hopefully we as a fanbase get behind him and realise their is no 'miracle' cure.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Pleasantly surprised! Think it's probably about as good as we could have done, proven track record in the league and I expect he'll make us a lot tougher to play against, we'll be worse to watch than Mrs Brown's Boys but we might actually win a few games, not to tempt fate but I can't see one of his sides getting smoked 5-1 at home by anyone.

Well done to everyone.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Welcome Mr Cox, wish you every success. Agree that this appointment is as good as we could have hoped for and a lot better than I expected.

I really do hope to be honest you lose some pounds in this new venture Mr Cox,,,,,,from the combined weight of the first team that is.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:Pleasantly surprised! Think it's probably about as good as we could have done, proven track record in the league and I expect he'll make us a lot tougher to play against, we'll be worse to watch than Mrs Brown's Boys but we might actually win a few games, not to tempt fate but I can't see one of his sides getting smoked 5-1 at home by anyone.

Well done to everyone.
NOTHING is that bad!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I'm sure a 0-0 home draw with Welling where the ball touches the floor for two kick offs only with a few 'fecks' thrown in could rival the best episode of that horrendous show....maybe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I really am the only one then! I like Mrs Brown's Boys
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
gulls1989
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by gulls1989 »

Welcome to Torquay, Paul!

Now to get some Branston/NIcholson-esque players in...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Cautiously optimistic. My concern is, as with the appointments of Knill and Chris Hargreaves, he seems to have been the only name in the frame - i.e. the post wasn't advertised as far as I know. I hope the consortium isn't making the same mistake as the previous regime. We will have to wait and see .......
Stephentsd
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Briscoe

Post by Stephentsd »

Hi, Mansfield Town fan here

Paul Cox will win you games simple as that, he'll turn you into a well oiled machine that are extremely organised and difficult to play against, you wont get any thashings, he will get players putting their bodies on the line, he starts off slow but the 2nd half of the season his teams generally fly, be patient with him.

As for his style, it wont be pretty he likes to play long ball, he does mix it up, put hes very direct, wants balls into the box as fast as possible, he likes a big lump striker up top and a fast striker to play off him. Whats good is you have Briscoe which he knows from Mansfield, Briscoe was instrimental in our success in the conference.

The very best of luck, i'll be keeping an eye on you with great interest, names i would expect him to sign would be Ross Dyer, Anthony Howell, Lindon Meikle and Lee Stevenson.

All the best
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Appointing Chris Hargreaves and his team was a panic reaction which largely failed. Paul Cox has relevant experience and his appointment is a lot more logical. Forget the 'style' argument-- its not worth having. People respond to out and out triers and over the last few years that quality has not been much in evidence. I suspect it will now.