Accrington Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

oh no forgot we had another game Tuesday! we're running out of games quickly! good thing I guess, atleast that's one less game to endure! I will continue to visit plainmoor while we are still a league team with a chance of escaping relegation, if we don't win 2 of our next 4/5 games then that will be me done for the season!
The gulls are going up
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I've just read the 'official' report - it's all lies! 'Tense atmosphere' my eye. None of us could have cared less.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

none of the players could have cared less!
The gulls are going up
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

SBP wrote:Oil Beef Hooked, nice to meet you today Steve.

After watching that performance today i must agree that we are doomed. Now my rant.

CH, what was your game plan today?? I really dont understand why we are firing the ball at Hawley. Why are we not passing the ball. When we dont have the ball, we did not press. What the heck was the matter with Joss L today, possibly the worst performance from him I ve seen.
We were poor all over the pitch today, no idea, we just didnt know what to do?
I am sorry but if this is the kind of performance to expect from a CH team then we will not even compete in the Conference.

Pearce to me seemed like the only player to perform today, the rest was poor. Wilkinson might have potential but he is not ready for this. One good turn and shot on target, its not enough.
Get Craig and Yeoman back. Let Craig have a floating role in midfield and play Yeoman up with Benners, at least there will be some energy up front.

I am having a beer, fed up with that rubbish
Craig would do better than the players that played today as he can pass. We could not put two passes together today. I don't think Hargreaves could have seen Craig play in the centre of midfield.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

I feel sorry for all you guys who had to watch THAT today. We are doomed to no-league oblivion now, no doubt about it. I am so angry after getting back in the league and now!! This club is likely to keep going down now. It's so depressing. Conference South anyone?? I feel like screaming vile abuse at them all!!!!! you b**&^%ards! you've ruined my club, f**&*&^%$%^&* T$%^&*&&^%$ers!!!!!¬ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
Oblivion!!!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I feel sorry for Greavsie really he's inherited a bunch of disinterested journeymen who the idiot previously in charge gave them all 2 year deals so they play without the fear of being out of work and just go through the motions.

The fanciful comments about clearout and fresh start won't happen because the leeches sucking the club dry will all be here next season.

The only players who will be hurting are probably past their best at this level and the rest are kids thrown into a hideous situation of a struggling shit side with no leaders where the senior pros have been a disgrace. Whatever budget there was is gone and Greavsie is forced to look at loans because the squad assembled is disgustingly bad. As ever with loans especially bargain youngsters is they will be a mixed bag and lets be honest who the hell would want to come to Torquay?? Sadists probably.

We're down with a horrendous whimper, I hate nearly all of our players and I genuinely fear for our long term future.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It proved today we need strength to battle through this the youngsters are ok but in small numbers.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Oh my word. If one single performance could spell out in huge Hollywood style lettering the word RELEGATION then this was it. What a game I chose to make my first home one of the season, I nearly missed most of it due to falling asleep from my lofty position at the back of the bench only I take it we've been like that for most of the season at home. I really do doff my cap to each and every one of you who makes the effort to watch that turgid rubbish week in week out. It should really be a criminal offence, a public indecency one in all probability. We've had Ling, Knill and now Hargreaves and still the rubbish keeps on coming.

I have a few questions about how Hargreaves perceives matches as I find it puzzling but he is a rookie and none of this mess is directly his fault. We took a gamble in appointing him and the gamble is still in the balance. The only problem is that he needs to continue our decent-ish away form otherwise we cannot stay up. Our home form shows no signs of improving and picking up the odd win and draw here and there is not enough to keep us up if our away form dips. We've had two cracks of the whip against poor opposition in Northampton and Accrington and not even looked like getting any points.

I actually could not believe the atmosphere inside the ground today. Is it really this bad most weeks? I think Ben has already said that it is sterile and soulless. Well if I add the pre-fix 'Clinically' to these two words then you get the picture. It is truly horrible. The pop tried to get a couple of half hearted yellow army chants going and also the family stand too but it was embarrassing in the end. As for the bench, well I'm sure most of the folk that go in there are just stuffed scarecrows. They can't be real as I never saw any of them move apart from 5 minutes before the end when suddenly motion happened and an exodus commenced from the stands. It was 1-0 not 5-0. It is Torquay not Liverpool - the traffic around the ground come full time not worthy of a mention so why? Sure it was car crash football but we still had a chance of getting something.

When I go to Plainmoor again I think I will go in the bench because the view is amazing, I can see for far and beyond and the view of the action is excellent too. I could really see the intricacies of the game and everyone's movements which is not always possible when you are in the pop. Like the dive from (Pearce or Labadie?) which was a clear fall to the ground sort of thing rather than a clear cut penalty. I got the perfect view. I actually really felt comfortable in there. The facilities aren't too bad, ok so there is only one sh*tter but whack down the Imodium and it's happy days. They were giving away free programmes too today, of previous games though and not todays, so I grabbed a couple. I also bought one of today's game too and a half time 50/50 ticket.

Anyway, about the game. As the game wore on first half it became clear that Accrington were going to be the first ones to score. Poke prevented an og by tipping over a back header from one of our players not sure which and kept good hands to keep them at bay. We created naff all meanwhile. At half time I personally would have made a couple of subs to give us energy up top as it was quite clear that it wasn't working. Hawley was immense I thought getting on to every header and holding up play but we then had nobody with any pace to take the ball further in advanced areas. Only Wilkinson who is leggy and slow and Chappell who becomes more and more ineffective the more I see of him. Accrington set their stall out well and easily mopped up our predictable attacks. Not once of any note did Goodwin or Chappell get their heads down and make inroads into the area or take the full back on the outer. Chappell had a few goes but with no luck. He just isn't a danger anymore. Hawley does what he does really really well and I appreciate that but he just isn't a danger either.

Wilkinson I thought did well, we've got to remember he is a young lad thrust into a struggling team and unlike Jayden Stockley you get energy, workrate, battling qualities, willingness and an end product in terms of a shot. He had our better chances. We have zero attacking threat and one and perhaps only thing positive you can say about Knill is that he brought in a few loanees who got a few goals for us like Marquis, McCallum etc. If Hargreaves can't replicate this then we go down IMO.

Pearce was clearly man of the match today. I thought Tonge did ok, Mansell plenty of chest puffed outedness but nothing to offer today apart from the routine stuff, O'Connor poor, Nico on at half time for a dismal Cruise nothing to offer but hoofballs. Labadie provided a bit of energy in the middle but no great shakes. Goodwin anonymous, Poke could have done better with the goal IMO and Hargreaves not taking control of the game by making the required subs when it mattered and letting a poor side like Accrington get away with an easy victory. I would like to see him say, "right f*ck this, on you go son and get at them". Today at least it probably would have worked.

This was a massive chance missed but it's gone now and we go to Hartlepool to try and compensate. Ultimately I don't think our squad is good enough, it was so obvious today and I felt like I was watching a conference club. It's a mish mash of different reasons why we are where we are but if nobody can get anything extra out of this set of players then it looks bad for us. I'm off to Hartlepool next week and I can't wait. The lads need our support and we must give it to the bitter end.

Finally can I say a big thanks to whoever it was who arranged for my name to be read out at half time on the tannoy. It was a nice surprise and made me chuckle. So thankyou. Also apologies to Dave forever about the phone call mix up. It was my little un p*ssing about with my phone mate but we got it sorted! Also say hello to Ben who offered his hospitality in Boots prior to the game. I couldn't make it mate as I went swimming at the Riviera centre with my little un and didn't get out until gone two, then I was stuck in traffic near torre abbey and got to Plainmoor late on. I actually got out of the pool at half past one but my partner took about another 7 years to get changed so it added another half an hour on. Bloody women. Just put clothes on and do it quickly!! Christ!! I sent them packing into town for a couple of hours. Also I didn't bump into taxilady today so sorry I couldn't say hello.

Despite the result and performance I am still proud to be a Gull and I still enjoyed my day out. I'll be at Hartlepool singing and hopefully I can make the Daggers home game on good Friday. We need wins Chris and going for one today would have seen us get 3 points. Draws are no good and by playing conservatively we actually lost the game so it was counter productive. The players are hindered by playing at home. You can sense it. They are scared. It has to change. CAN it change? I'm not sure but I still have hope.

COYY!!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Thea.......THEA........You bought a Dud!

Absolutely embarrassing today and another nail in the coffin of TUFC. I have spent thousands over the years following the club home and, pre-kids, away, buying season tickets, merchandise and generally taking bucket loads of abuse from friends and colleagues for supporting little old Torquay.

This club is dying and the collection of misfits and loanees portraying themselves as "footballers" are picking up their salaries for doing f***all every week.

As a season ticket holder, I won't be renewing my ticket next season, even if we do retain our league status. I can't bear the thought of possibly seeing Torquay playing at Weston Super Mare in a league match.

We average 2,000 fans for home games. The local population don't care and why should they? The club is a laughing stock and sadly even idiots like Chamberlain don't give the club any credibility anymore. Has anyone watched Soccer AM recently? What a lame excuse for a TV show that has become.

Did anyone actually go today thinking we would win? I was watching the Chelsea game in Boots and didn't give our game a moments thought until 3pm. That's how dis-interested I've become over the past couple of years.

The board have to take full responsibility for not getting rid of Knill sooner. Then in a crisis situation, employing a novice because he's a club legend. Anyone remember the Wes Saunders appointment?

Last week CH said he had read the riot act to the players to let them know poor performances were not acceptable.
What are you gonna do this week Chris?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Can I just add that each person who goes in the bench is supporting the club and brings in much needed income and so I'm not having a pop at them for that. I don't really get to many home games and so I'm not contributing so much but half of them in there today didn't even clap a good move or effort or anything. Can't even be arsed to put one hand against the other and clap. Just sat. Sat, moaned. Sat. Left early. Unbelieveable.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
okehampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: ALAN WELSH

Post by okehampton gull »

I have been saying all season mansell is crap, he would struggle playing for galmpton, Labadie was terrible ,what has gone wrong with him, and that folks was our midfield today,, chapple and Goodwin are not midfield , our back 4 , it is a total disgrace that tongue gets in the team in front of downes , get O'Conner back to right back, where was lathrope ? what is going on . Hargreaves has not got a clue... I have watched his selections , he is a clueless ex footballer and lots of them make crap management , Mr . Harrop was a breath of fresh air it was the more enjoyable that day when he was manager than the rest of the season put together.
Well lets hope Bodin is fit , harding back , what did stockley do wrong? I have seen more commitment from a scouser looking for a job. sorry bottom of the league ,,, and a long way bottom ..
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Glad you enjoyed the day out mate, I am afraid that performances like today have become par for the course, that may explain why so many fans resemble statues - I certainly won't moan at our fans for that. Over on the pop things weren't much better, just general apathy really, I think most have accepted our fate and are going through the motions. Apathy turned to anger for some but it was nowhere near as brutal as I was expecting to be honest.

Normally I hate this sort of atmosphere. As you well know, I normally lead the fun away from home, I just can't bring myself to do it at home. Away games are a choice, home games you attend through sense of duty, its the done thing, I can totally understand why most fans are completely worn down and dispassionate after this sorry season, straight on the back of another sorry season.

Obviously fans have to get behind the players and inspire them to play, but it works both ways, the players have to give the fans something to shout and get excited about. I honestly can't remember the last time we played well for 60+ minutes of a match at Plainmoor.
okehampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

I was just thinking back to Wimbledon away Hargreaves first match , only 1 month ago, we played well with lots of effort and passion that day, we won the game 2 - 0, everyone was happy , perhaps someone can tell me then why would the manager change the team completely unless he was an utter **** ****.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Fair points Ben. We've been lots of away games that aren't much better but at least we clap a decent move or a particular bit of effort. I completely understand that the home fans have been through the mill and have had enough but if you don't applaud the positives then the players just get bogged down in the apathy which is quite clearly what I saw today. I wouldn't have wanted to be out there on the pitch today but like you say, they are professionals and it is up to them to provide enough sparks for the crowd to feed off and hopefully ignite something more sustained and vocal. I'm not talking about breaking out into song but something as simple as applause for a strong challenge in front of the bench or something to get the players going in some small way. If we moan and gesticulate when things go wrong then we must congratulate and applaud when something is done right.

I heard the boos at the end too and also the sarcastic cheers when Chris FINALLY made subs.
okehampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

team at Wimbledon
poke.
O'Conner, pearse, downes Nicholson,
Hawley , lathrope. Labadie, mansell.
benyon, stockley.

and all of these players were available today ,, and yes 5 of these were not picked today, 2 were not even on the bench ,,,, what the **** have they all done wrong to get dropped? and resigning stevens,,,give me **** strength......