Accrington Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Pringlejumperman

Post by Pringlejumperman »

Thea what you going to do now mind you its not all your fault ? I blame sidewinder Baker too .the club is DOOMED going down never a lge club again
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

Another pathetic home display in a game we again looked incapable of scoring. The writing must surely be on the wall now and we are now heading towards the Conference. It would be something if there was a glimmer of hope but it seems we are going down in a whimper. I did not think things could get any worse after Knill left but sadly I now think they are. What annoys me more than anything is the constant reliance on untried loan strikers. Wilkinson today clearly was not the answer, O'Brien came on late and looked awful as well. Hawley tried as usual and got stuck in but never looks like scoring. Ladbadie had our best 2 chances today - his 2 strong headers from corners were cleared off the line. Ladbadie also appeared to get tripped in the penalty area but ended up getting booked for diving. Now he is suspended for 2 games.

Crowd was 2,218, 70 odd from Accrington. Torquay today were slow to get going and looked disjointed. We hardly had a goal attempt of note. We had some decent spells of possession but we never seriously threatened. Accrington should have taken the lead and only an amazing flying save from Poke saved a cetain goal. Poke needed to be alert on other occasions as well. Poke had to tip 1 back header from O'Connor over the bar and punch away a fierce free-kick smartly. Torquay were lucky to go in at half-time on level terms.

Torquay did improve a bit after the break and exerted some pressure in spells. Nicholson replaced Cruise at half-time. But it was the same old story - we don't have any finishers at the club and the loanees quite frankly are making it worse. Marquis earlier in the season was the only loanee striker who I rate. We did miss Stickley's physical prescence today, was he injured? As far as i'm concerned we should send back Wilkinson and O'Brien back to their parent clubs and at least try our own players like Yeoman. He surely cannot do any worse. Goodwin did have 1 decent shot today so perhaps he should be playing in attack and not on the wing. Accrington showed us how to finish on 80 minutes.

I'm sorry to have to say this but Hargreaves seems to be making a right hash of things and we are getting worse. Too reliant on untried loanee youngsters, too much chopping and changing. Loads of forwards but no-one who can find the back of the net. No penetration from midfield. I would at least like to see players like Craig, Cameron, Yeoman, Thompson given a chance but most of them have been shipped out on loan. Where is the direction of the team. At least Ling got the best out of our own players but Hargreaves has gone down the Knill route. On a personal level, as a regular home supporter I have had enough. I will not be going to the Burton game on Tuesday and until I see a sign of some hope that things might improve and some direction I don't want to see any more of what I witnessed today. I feel genuinely sorry for Gulls supporters who will continue to go to our games. I have suffered enough and will have a break from going to games, it's got so bad. So come on Hargreaves and players at least give us supporters something to cheer about. Only Poke and Pearce come out with any credit today.
Last edited by Swanny on 22 Feb 2014, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

absolute disgrace. wilkinson isn't what we need, he doesn't have the fight. bring back sills. it's too late now, atleast we won't have the trip to accy next year!
The gulls are going up
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I thought our home performances couldn't get any worse, but I was wrong. That was another load of shite and that's putting it politely. That's another 90 minutes of my life gone where I could've done something more useful, like picking stones out of the tread of my car tyres.

As for the game, same old, same old really. Another dire, lifeless, drab, performance from players who don't seem up for the fight, (Chappers and Pearcy excepted). Players who can't seem to string 2 passes together and play with the desire and passion for the shirt. Not good enough I'm afraid.

I've tried to stay optimistic all season, but after today's performance my hope for survival has wavered. I too think that we're fu(ked, doomed, goners into the dreaded Conference.

To top it all off, on the way out my son and I got shat on by a dirty bastard seagull. Someone commented that it's lucky. LUCKY, let me tell you about lucky, we should encourage the dirty bastards to fly over the team and shat on them instead. Needless to say I've put the lottery on tonight :rules:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

oh, also we'll have bodin back to put Goodwin upfront soon, so I honestly can't decide which striker isn't the worst we've got to pair with him! I'd put Downes up there. diabolical stuff now, it's our time really, got lucky last season, guess conference is our level!
The gulls are going up
Pringlejumperman

Post by Pringlejumperman »

Got to laugh at the muppets who clapped the team off what are you on
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Pringlejumperman wrote:Got to laugh at the muppets who clapped the team off what are you on
yeah should give them the middle finger - because that will help
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Oil Beef Hooked, nice to meet you today Steve.

After watching that performance today i must agree that we are doomed. Now my rant.

CH, what was your game plan today?? I really dont understand why we are firing the ball at Hawley. Why are we not passing the ball. When we dont have the ball, we did not press. What the heck was the matter with Joss L today, possibly the worst performance from him I ve seen.
We were poor all over the pitch today, no idea, we just didnt know what to do?
I am sorry but if this is the kind of performance to expect from a CH team then we will not even compete in the Conference.

Pearce to me seemed like the only player to perform today, the rest was poor. Wilkinson might have potential but he is not ready for this. One good turn and shot on target, its not enough.
Get Craig and Yeoman back. Let Craig have a floating role in midfield and play Yeoman up with Benners, at least there will be some energy up front.

I am having a beer, fed up with that rubbish
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Dreadful. Terrible. Awful. Miserable. Hopeless. If anyone retains any hope that relegation can be avoided then you'd better lose that hope now. All season long we've been trudging away from Plainmoor after yet another defeat in despair and gloom. This afternoon was the last straw. We've had enough. Even the shell-shocked Hargreaves in his post-match interview was honest enough to say that while he realised what he was taking on was a difficult situation, not even he realised that it could be as bad as this. A sad and sorry collection of has-beens, dead-beats, incompetents, derelicts and callow youths represented Torquay United this afternoon, producing a display that was so bad that even the stupidest of die-hards realised that game was up. I've know since the first game (and so has brucie and others) that sooner or later it would come to this. Dreadful. Terrible. Awful. Dismal.Miserable. Hopeless. One of the worst experiences on life mist be supporting Torquay United, and certainly the worst experience for anyone to undergo on a Saturday afternoon is to go to a football match to watch Torquay United play. Relegation is an ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY. None of the loanees is of any use whatosever. The rest of them are nowhere near Football League standard. It doesn't matter what manager is appointed (Hargreaves now looks like just another piece of cannon fodder) Torquay United will be relegated this season. I've had enough. I won't go again. Can you imagine driving one hundred miles on a cold, wet night to see this?
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Just read the match report on OS...dominating the game, hit by a suckerpunch, unlucky, blah blah blah.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

SBP wrote:Oil Beef Hooked, nice to meet you today Steve.

After watching that performance today i must agree that we are doomed. Now my rant.

CH, what was your game plan today?? I really dont understand why we are firing the ball at Hawley. Why are we not passing the ball. When we dont have the ball, we did not press. What the heck was the matter with Joss L today, possibly the worst performance from him I ve seen.
We were poor all over the pitch today, no idea, we just didnt know what to do?
I am sorry but if this is the kind of performance to expect from a CH team then we will not even compete in the Conference.

Pearce to me seemed like the only player to perform today, the rest was poor. Wilkinson might have potential but he is not ready for this. One good turn and shot on target, its not enough.
Get Craig and Yeoman back. Let Craig have a floating role in midfield and play Yeoman up with Benners, at least there will be some energy up front.

I am having a beer, fed up with that rubbish
Likewise SBP. I agree with everything you said above. At least we're not the only ones suffering tonight =D

I just can't bring myself to think and write about that turgid performance at the moment. Today's performance was light years away from being anywhere near good enough. I fear that we are going down with a whimper and are surrendering our league status without a fight.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Oh where to start, said on the League 2 forum, thankfully there was just no way humanly possible for us to play worse than we did v Northampton, sorry we just took it down a level today, hopeless, utterly hopeless. I don't like to single out players, especially young players but Wilkinson, nancy boy haircut and played like a nancy boy, send him back to Bolton tomorrow, worst single performance I've seen in a yellow shirt since Dean Mooney.

Desire, passion, hunger, a will to win above all circumstances those are the qualities you need to avoid relegation, all missing big style, paten of play , oh, yes, silly me, my mistake, what bleedin paten of play, jeez, hit and hope, hoof it, whack it, sorry Chris Hargreaves and no I don't blame you, but that was utter bollocks , CALM DOWN, GET THE BALL DOWN, TRY PASSING IT, TO FEET PERFERABLY.

Midfield, my god, what a collective bunch of lumbering carthorses, when we have the ball show some belief, ball hoofed up great, but then you have to get numbers forward quickly to support, Labadie and Mansell looked like they were on a Sunday afternoons lovers stroll, struggling for words now, just a crock of shite end of.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Everyone knows that i'm generally very positive about all things TUFC, I am relentlessly (hopelessly) optimistic, even after the Chesterfield match I was bleating like a nutjob for everyone to keep the faith, but today that veneer was worn down, all semblance of positivity seeping out of me like piss going down the drain.

Signs have been there all season, and I've largely chose to ignore them, instead choosing to believe that time will bring about a change in fortune. There is simply nothing anyone can offer me now to suggest we have anything near enough to survive, and it pains me like you wouldn't believe to write that. I maintained hope as long as weren't cut adrift, well 5 points is now the gap and that looks like a massive bridge to me right now.

Accrington, with the greatest respect (well done on the win, nice fans, best of luck for rest of season etc) were rubbish, and we made them look sufficient, if we maintained any hope of staying up, they were sort of team we had to be picking points up against. We never looked like scoring from open play.

I could write all night about how bad we were/are, about how wrong everything is, but I do not have the desire to write it, nor would you the desire to read it.

Plainmoor is a soulless, dispassionate, completely sterile place. No-one cares, we were all going through the motions watching another disaster unfold In front of us. Everyone has accepted our place, it will be a miserable place to visit from now until the end of the season, the malaise has well and truly manifested itself and now we have to stand by and take our medicine.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We have to many players lacking experience Downes needs to come back in O'Conner is not a centrehalf yet needs to be moved to right back, the midfield well, today was shocking no passing tackling no control from the wide players and no creation and that gave the front players no chance.
It was one of the worst games of the season Chris has a hard job to put this right by Tuesday.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Exactly - and why should we put up with it? We are fans, yes, but we are (terrible word) customers too, and customers deserve to be treated at least fairly well. Today was a gross and unendurable insult. I want my money back! I want my years of despair back! I want my hope and optimism back! I want my Saturday afternoons back! It was never, ever as bad as this.