Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Jerry wrote:I can't believe they haven't already signed up a replacement. They have known about this for 3 weeks and hopefully spent that time getting a replacement sorted to take the reins immediately. Due to the play offs we are already behind the rest of the division, we can't afford to hang around!
Would agree with this. I would think that what Dave is saying is correct, and that we probably have got a replacement (or possibly two) lined up. However it would be silly not to invite applications just in case... what if someone really brilliant suddenly declares they've always had a soft spot for Torquay and are willing to do the job for a pat on the back and abag of chips every saturday night? Unlikely, but the club would be stupid not to make sure all bases were covered.

Whatever happens, we need it sorted as soon as possible to give the new boy maximum squad-building time.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

hector wrote:It says on Bristol Rovers site that Buckle 'has already identified a list of players' so when he was supposed to be preparing our squad for the play-offs he was busy compiling a wish list of players for his new club. We were paying his wages to do work for Bristol Rovers. The whole saga is sickening and I only hope our 'nice' board have not been taken for mugs.

I heard this a couple of weeks ago, others on here heard it too.

I even had a couple of Greeks tip me off about his "plans".

I'm sure the Board knew all along, some of them are on the ball even if others are not.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote:Jerry, I would imagine that a deal has probably been agreed in principle already but with the Board apparently not meeting until Thursday to make a decision I'd hope the announcement is just to see what applicants they get.
Let's hope so Dave!

With the names Hargreaves and Hill being mentioned as former heroes turned rookie manager I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Alex Russell. He would surely have the requisite contacts at this level.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

[quote="hector"]It says on Bristol Rovers site that Buckle 'has already identified a list of players' so when he was supposed to be preparing our squad for the play-offs he was busy compiling a wish list of players for his new club. We were paying his wages to do work for Bristol Rovers. The whole saga is sickening and I only hope our 'nice' board have not been taken for mugs.[/quote]

Or not. That list of players wouldn't look like this, would it?

Branston
Kee
Zebroski
Ellis
O'Kane
Stanley
Robinson
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

hector wrote:It says on Bristol Rovers site that Buckle 'has already identified a list of players' so when he was supposed to be preparing our squad for the play-offs he was busy compiling a wish list of players for his new club. We were paying his wages to do work for Bristol Rovers. The whole saga is sickening and I only hope our 'nice' board have not been taken for mugs.
Pathetic. I'd also imagine that list of players includes Branston, O'Kane, Zebroski, Stanley, maybe Robinson and Tomlin aswell..

EDIT: I see Kit Robin got there before me..
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Kit_robin wrote:Or not. That list of players wouldn't look like this, would it?

Branston
Kee
Zebroski
Ellis
O'Kane
Stanley
Robinson

I reckon Branno will end up there, he might come back to buy Zebs at some point but I can't see Ellis going there in a month of sundays.

O'Kane I doubt they could afford, doubt they would want Kee.

Stanley seems to have a genuine affection for us and I hope he gets an offer to come here. Robinson I expect to end up somewhere like Burton.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

devington wrote: Dave

You really should stop reading three week old newspapers!! :)

I nearly missed that one mate. Made I larf :clap: :clap:
Dave

clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

so footballs worst kept secret is out and buckle has gone, rumours i gathered from various sources were that the deal was signed in the week leading up to the shrewsburys 1st leg, also hargreaves as new manager was sorted before the playoff final which is good on the club for not hanging around. spoke to zebs on saturday night he said most of the players will be staying around with or without bucks. zebs defo not leaving as he feels at home with torquay and hasn't settled anywhere else. i can only possibly see branno leaving to follow buckle and thats an if as i feel he loves it down here and with hargreaves as manager and branno doing his badges i feel a player coach contract offer could be drawn up here.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Buckles news is due to be made public at 10.30 this morning, Shaun North is meant to be one of the casulties following him but they are hoping to retain the physio's services as he has a buisiness in Plymouth. Amongst the names being banded about was a shock as the board are expecting an application from Mr Branston himself but are waiting to see who actually applies as no one has been actually sort yet.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

clemy1989 wrote:so footballs worst kept secret is out and buckle has gone, rumours i gathered from various sources were that the deal was signed in the week leading up to the shrewsburys 1st leg, also hargreaves as new manager was sorted before the playoff final which is good on the club for not hanging around. spoke to zebs on saturday night he said most of the players will be staying around with or without bucks. zebs defo not leaving as he feels at home with torquay and hasn't settled anywhere else. i can only possibly see branno leaving to follow buckle and thats an if as i feel he loves it down here and with hargreaves as manager and branno doing his badges i feel a player coach contract offer could be drawn up here.

Hope you are wrong about Hargreaves. I like the bloke but i is a lazy appointment if true. Simply because he was a popular player here does mean he will translate into being a good manager. I would not mind if he was part of a coaching set-up e.g. assistant manager but not in overall charge of the team. Not yet.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I've already said I'd prefer Hargreaves to someone like Trollope. I just feel that Hargreaves would have the fans support from the moment he walks back through the door, Trollope on the other hand would always be seen as a makeweight in the Buckle deal.

If Hargreaves is given the job I think the fury towards Buckle will subside somewhat with Hargreaves bringing a feelgood factor with him. He's great with the media, always worked hard off the pitch with fans and especially with Louise while she was running the Junior Gulls. Trollope on the other hand might have the experience some are after but would he ever be welcomed by fans in the manner Hargreaves would be? No chance.
Dave

RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I'd give Tarzan a go. Good with the Media, massive list of past clubs and contacts, knows the boys and very popular with the fans.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

hargreaves as assistant would be the ideal scenario, but will it happen i doubt it, the club don't seem able to afford an experienced manager so give hargreaves a shot at it. cant wait till we play rovers im thankful for what buckle has done for the club but im afraid its all ended with a lack of respect sorting deals and player list for another club while leading us through the most important weeks of our season is disgusting and he has lost my respect personally.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Personally I have no doubt Buckle will try to sign Branno, Stanley, Robinson, Tomlin. I also think he will go in for O'Kane and Kee (he is a big Kee fan remember). He knows what money it will take to get the two and also the state of finances at Plainmoor. Poke will also end up there.

Gutted - the last couple of days cannot be described.

I hope this is not the start of the dark days arriving again - for sure the clouds are currently gathering above TQ1. Lets hope the board find a decent replacement quickly and we can start offering the important players terms before it is too late. Knowing Torquay - their futures will be long decided before this though.

On a personal note I am trying to ignore Buckle's underhand meetings and talks while our season is very much still alive and would like to thank him for 3 finals in 4 years and our League status back.

As for Rovers - they can go f**k themselves for their behaviour - reeks of 'we are a big team so we can sh1t on the little guy'. Hope their lack of morals turns full circle and bits them in the arse.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Not sure where I read it, the list of possible candidates with Trollope, Hargreaves & Jim harvey, but also spotted Alex Russel's name (someone also mentioned it on here) They said he has been doing his coaching badges whilst playing at Yeovil and they would not stand in his way if he got a player/coach role. Apparently has one more year at Yeovil on current contract. Another name mentioned was Bruce Rioch, now living in Cornwall after coming back from stint in Denmark 18months ago (he obtained champions league football with side he managed) was apparently dissappointed not to have been a candidate for Plymouth job when he came back