Fixtures 2023/24

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

:goodpost:
Spot on Mr Tea808
Mr Tea808 wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 19:57 Not keen on all this talk about taking large number to Taunton, WSM, Plymouth Parkway etc etc, yet again I'll reiterate, we shouldn't be in this league, nor the one above it, we were a solid 4th tier club, to some fans maybe they buzz off being a big fish in a goldfish bowl, beating part timers I don't want to see fist pumping, flares going off, phony hype, us taking the piss out of set ups smaller than ours...I want to respect the league, the opposition, be fully focused, go about our business in a decent way, GJ has a major habit of pissing people off with his antics, he isn't popular at all, let's just see what the season brings, but sadly, something tells me we've found our level, 6th tier regional football.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

Very impressive how people can talk a out a 5-0 win in such a negative manner, how about let fans enjoy us winning for a change?
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

toastkid wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 07:53 That match at Weston didn't cover us in glory. There were some 18,19yr old Torquay "fans" giving the Weston goalie out of order abuse throughout the 2nd half. They should have been kicked out. They were chanting "Gary Johnston's Yellow Army". Yes, they didn't even know the name of their manager. Then the bin. My mate (not a gulls fan) said "You're just a bunch of yobs!" He was of course correct. The actions of the few tarnish the many.
Agreed. There is a fine line. The scenes at Bath City were horrific. I recall issues at Gloucester and others too. Very much hoping these youth don't reappear. We ve always been seen as a passionately supported but friendly club and it's a shame if there's a shift in that.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 19:57 Not keen on all this talk about taking large number to Taunton, WSM, Plymouth Parkway etc etc, yet again I'll reiterate, we shouldn't be in this league, nor the one above it, we were a solid 4th tier club, to some fans maybe they buzz off being a big fish in a goldfish bowl, beating part timers I don't want to see fist pumping, flares going off, phony hype, us taking the piss out of set ups smaller than ours...I want to respect the league, the opposition, be fully focused,
Following a football club is supposed to be fun. It's mean to an activity that enhances your life. If you can't enjoy those occasions where things might actually be tolerable, what's even the point? We still have a far bigger fanbase thatn 95% of the clubs in NLS so of course it's reasonable to expect that our attendances (home and away) will be more impressive than most.
Mr Tea808 wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 19:57 sadly, something tells me we've found our level, 6th tier regional football.
You say we shouldn't be in this league, and then you say this. It's funny how teams 'find their level'. It's almost as if - no, go with me on this - a meritocratic system whereby you go up a level if you're good, and down a level if you're bad is working exactly as planned. We are a 6th tier team this season because last season we were one of the worst 4 teams in the 5th tier. That's it - that's the entire reason. If you want to get into a conversation about what is our "natural" level, then that's a broader discussion. Historically, yes, for the majority of our existence we have been a 4th tier club. but we haven't been that for a while; in the past 2 decades we've spent 50% as long out of the football league as in it. (12 seasons vs 8).

This season can go one of two ways - it can be another successful season culminating in a title that then sees us safely consolidating in the National League next season, or it can be a season of underacheivement and we have successive seasons in the 6th tier for the first time in our history. If it's the latter, I'd fear for us as a club at all in future as I'd not be able to see a way back.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

happytorq wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 15:47 This season can go one of two ways - it can be another successful season culminating in a title that then sees us safely consolidating in the National League next season, or it can be a season of underacheivement and we have successive seasons in the 6th tier for the first time in our history. If it's the latter, I'd fear for us as a club at all in future as I'd not be able to see a way back.
I wouldn't necessarily regard it as an existential crisis if we remained in the NLS longer than one season. Stockport County stayed in the NLN for six seasons.
What would be an existential crisis is losing Plainmoor as there is no other suitable ground in the area from which to launch a drive for EFL status.
That said unfortunately I cannot see us thriving under the current ownership, there doesn't appear to be a desire for success at the club. You only have to compare the vibe coming from Yeovil's new owner to the what we get from our owners to realise this.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Cheddargull wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 16:27 I wouldn't necessarily regard it as an existential crisis if we remained in the NLS longer than one season. Stockport County stayed in the NLN for six seasons.
What would be an existential crisis is losing Plainmoor as there is no other suitable ground in the area from which to launch a drive for EFL status.
That said unfortunately I cannot see us thriving under the current ownership, there doesn't appear to be a desire for success at the club. You only have to compare the vibe coming from Yeovil's new owner to the what we get from our owners to realise this.
I think staying in NLS for more than one season would be an existential crisis simply because it makes it way more likely that the current ownership will either fold the club, or finally have the leverage he clearly needs to buy plainmoor and leave us homeless. so it's more of an indirect effect of being in NLS.

The news the other day about the conservative council looking for more assets to sell to raise money makes me pretty concerned.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Ideally we need to get out of the league asap, whether it'll happen is 50/50 for me, still not entirely convinced about the squad and if they're good enough to get us out of the league, what I would say is any comparison to Stockport is immaterial to be honest, they are are pretty big club, good solid support and fanbase, and are really a league 1 size of club, their support suggests that, we aren't them, we are at best a solid league 2 side with a fanbase of around 2500-3000 fans at best, that's not me knocking the club or our size, if we stay multiple season in NLS I don't think we'll survive, nor stay full time etc..
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Cheddargull wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 16:27
I completely agree.
As long as the club has Plainmoor with the lease owned by the Council there will be a Torquay United.
If the ground is lost the future of the club will be far less secure.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

standupsitdown wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 19:33 I completely agree.
As long as the club has Plainmoor with the lease owned by the Council there will be a Torquay United.
If the ground is lost the future of the club will be far less secure.
If we had gone bust in 2018, reformed and risen through the lower leagues, would we be back in the NLS now without the threat with being owned by Osborne? It’s a interesting one to ponder