Burton Albion v Torquay United - 22/10/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Brucie, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ricey at present, he's been one of the better performers and was decent again tonight, kept the score respectable!

I do see what you mean about the defence though so deffo agree with that!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes perhaps Knill should sign another couple of forwards on loan. Is it any wonder we look like a team of strangers. By all accounts McCallum was haring down the M1 tonight - turned up without even meeting his teamates and the next minute was on the pitch. And you wonder why we look disjointed.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am not blaming Rice for the defeat at all - but he looked as shaky as ever to me on Saturday. Our key positions are lacking for me ie goalkeeper,centrehalves,centre forward.
harbertongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: guy branston

Post by harbertongull »

I can't understand why Benyon isn't getting a run. When he came in last season Knill himself said he improved with every game and it's true he did. Now he seems to be a bit part player being bought on with about six minutes left. Come on Knill give him a proper run. Can't say I'm over impressed with Hawley! Hope I'm wrong and I hope things pick up and pretty soon!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thats fair enough Downes,Pearce and Poke would make a massive difference to this side. O'Connor is the cover we have been lacking all season at centre half. If his parent club would let him sign for the season we should take him now - if necessary we should then play him at right back because he is quality.
Can anyone seriously see how the team will set up on saturday though. Its time that Knill took a long hard look at some of his own signings (Tonge and Hawley) who have been automatic choices for too long.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Here's yet another of Knill's questionable team selections. What cover was there on the bench for midfield if Mansell or McCourt had to come off? Only Mozika who hasn't played for months and is supposed to be playing in a 'prove your fitness' friendly match next week. Why wasn't Lathrope on the Bench?
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

because as you say he drops lathrope for a guy that is still 2 weeks away from getting anywhere near match fitness its bloody madness. i thought mozika would try and get 90 mins on tues against a strong yeovil reserve side and then start to stake a claim for a place but no put the guy on the bench who hasnt started a match for a year.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Poorest performance I've seen in a long time. Can't summon the energy to waste anymore of my time on that match but what utter tripe! Rice saved us from extreme embarrassment.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Can't help but feel depressed and I didn't even go tonight. Don't know when we will win, or even score again but it's going to be a long winter :(
Oblivion!!!!
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Well, that was utterly, utterly absymal. Soul destroyingly so. In fact, much like RussianGull, I can't even be arsed to write about it, it was so poor.

First half, Burton just about shaded it, but we were alright. Nothing special, but alright. Defensively we were ok, and we were tidy on the ball going forward without doing any meaningful whatsoever, save for a fairly tame turn and shot from Hawley which their keeper was always behind and saved very easily. The home side looked dangerous on the break and came close several times with neat triangle moves, before they hit the post at the end of the half.

Second half, I'm not sure we actually came back out. It was all Burton, and just a matter of time before they scored. They duly did through a rebound after Kee had hit the post, and the second one...well I don't know, I'd got so bored by watching us capitulate again that I was checking scores on my phone when I looked up to see their bloke in acres of space and smash home. We properly worked their keeper ONCE all game. Azeez broke down the right and sent a hanging cross to the back post where McCallum headers was saved low down to the keepers right. Even then it was a fairly routine stop.

Utter rubbish.

Positives:
Erm. McCallum looked alright I suppose. Azeez was dangerous first half. O'Connor looked solid, and Rice made some good saves. That's about it.

Negatives:
McCourt very poor. Manse just as bad. Hawley totally ineffective. Craig dissapointing, and made some very rash decisions. Can't string togther more than a few passes. Can't create any chances. Can't score. Apart from that, fine.

Big shout to the Yellow Army tonight. Made some great noise and backed the lads until we went 2-0 down. Some great gallows humour after that. In particular, when Chapell came on, kudos to whoever shouted "Alan, that sub feels like a win!".
Staffsgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Staffsgull1 »

MKGull has it fairly spot on. I know it's not much consolation to say we were ok in the 1st half, but we were solid enough, some shape with an extra man in midfield and a fair amount of possession. But we didn't have any clear cut chances, it was all a bit dour, reminded me of the last couple of seasons under another manager...

The 2nd half was so bad, so clueless, and so tactically Inept. It started with Bodins injury, he brought on McCallum and seemed to get utterly confused as to what formation he wanted to play. Firstly Craig was put on the right midfield with 2 up front. Then bizarrely Hawley was up on the left wing for most of the 2nd half with Craig playing 'in the hole'. The 3 forward players, all strangers to each other, some out of position, simply didn't link up.

I really don't think the back 4 did too much wrong, and Rice made some good saves, but despite all the attacking options we're accumulating, we're not able to hold the ball up front and keep possession. And I can't think of any times we got behind the Burton defence, or broke into the channels. It was one of the worst halves of football I've seen us play away from home.

I don't think Knill is even close to working out who is best team is or what formation he wants to play. And I don't doubt the young loanees have talent, but just throwing them in to the mix just seems desperate.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Dull and uninspiring...........

Another pitiful performance from a bunch of blokes who need name badges to identify each other. If the story about McCallum is true, the guy shouldn't have to race down the M1 to join his new team and then come on as a hurried sub. Pathetic.

We look devoid of ideas, there's no pattern to our play and why oh why do we thump the ball long to short guys like Hawley and Benyon???

Mansell is a waste of a salary at the moment. McCourt has not impressed in either of the last two games and had more than a few wayward passes tonight.

Everybody clammoured for Chappell tonight but his early season form has gone and we've gradually dragged him down to our level. He came on and had no impact whatsoever. I'm sure Knill had a wry smile on his face.

I like the look of O'Connor but he's playing in a weak defence and if it wasn't for Rice, we'd have lost by more.

Knill's future looks bleak after tonights performance.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Someone please say there's light at the end of the tunnel !!!???

Massive well done to you guys who went, just wish you got what you deserved - a proper performance!

Keep the faith
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

After last night we should be very very concerned about our league safety even 13 games in. Like Russiangull I cannot begin to describe what I saw out on that pitch last night only to say that we have IMMENSE problems mainly of Knills own doing.

The man is completely flaccid. Oh and f*cking useless too.

Well done on the Chappell omission Knill. A f*cking masterstroke that one. Bring him back in v Pompey just for the continuity. Unbelievable.

Write more later but it certainly felt like a win. :clap:

Nice one Ben! F*cking hilarious mate! :lol: :rofl: :-D

Oh and I was singing The Chase theme tune in my sleep! :na: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

13 games in, no improvement or progression since day 1. No indications of what sort of team we are supposed to be, what formation is best, what 11 Knill prefers, increasingly odd and bizarre team selections and substitutions. Soon it will be 20 games and we'll be in the same boat.

I now want the man to leave as he is clueless. We can't get rid of course as we have no money so it looks like we have to trust that he knows what he is doing. Well he doesn't so we're in a little of bit of trouble here aren't we?

I felt I was right about Ling and his playing style but what I've seen under this clown is actually much worse. I dared to dream for a new dawn at our club with positive attacking coherent football, I lauded it at the fate of our previous incumbent. Now it's me that looks like a total knobhead for wishing for a dream that has turned into the ultimate nightmare. I was wrong and I have made a mistake and now we must all pay for it in the form of The Alan Knill Comedy Show. Maybe we should get David Icke as his assistant?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.