Can the squad be strengthened enough to save us?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Can the squad be strengthened enough to save us?

Post by Jack »

We have read the good intentions going into the January transfer window but will we find the players we need?

Taking out the loaned who are due to go back to their respective Clubs in January we have only got 6 players who should be in the first team week in, week out. They are Lavercombe, Berry, McDonald, Smith, Butler and Richatds.
The rest including Kevin Nicholson are essentially squad players who should mainly be used as subs and as cover for some first team games. They are Grant Fisher, Nicholson, Gerring, Heslop, Murombedzi, Briscoe, Fairhurst, Chaney and Prynn. In my view the three outfield players, Yeoman, Alex Fisher and Fenwick also came into this category.
I assume that Hurst is due back in January unless Guiseley or someone else signs him and Exodus? Who knows.
We also have a group of emergency subs in Hancox, Finch and Corderoy (as cover for Grant Fisher)

We need 4 or 5 players of first calibre which could include some quality loan signings. Will we get them? Good luck in the January sales Kev.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Our midfield isn't good enough, up front aren't really doing it but how can they without delivery?

Marsh could probably do a job if/When Ajala comes back. In him we'll have a winger with a bit of trickery who likes to track back and can thread the balls through for the lads up top.

A striker and a brute in midfield who can bully the younger squad members into position I think is what we need.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Jack one important omission in your post is Tyrone Marsh.

I will be surprised if we ever see Hurst again but he does have real quality as a player.

I think I read we are trying to get an extension of the Youth Loan on Andre Wright from WBA.

Since Kevin Nicholson arrived 4 players have left Yeoman,Spiess, Fisher,Fenwick plus Hurst, Odofin and Prynn on loan.

It looks like Toby Ajala will be back in January but you are right Kevin needs some real quality signings in early January.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Jack »

My apologies to Tyrone Marsh. I was working from memory and left him out. At the moment he is another sub but has the potential to step up if he applies himself.
I think Prynn went on a months loan but Odofin went for the rest of the season which will see his contract with us finish.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Football at a strategic level is complex by nature, it also takes time for players to blend into a team system if your buying players to strengthen positions within a system, they also need to be available and want to come to a struggling club. The players you buy will need to raise the whole team level of performance.

There are other contributing factors which have an effect on this process, I would not set my expectations too high, any calibre players will need to have a level of reason to come to a club, recent bad press and current league position may inhibit this process.

Only time will tell if the stars are all aligned, I would look to buy a nice big Alsatian dog just in case and get Jim McNichol on for a throw in for the last couple of minutes. lol
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Yes it can. Whether it will or not is down to who we actually sign.

As I said in another thread, John Milton is a top scout at this level and has suggested a number of players - most of which are probably out of reach - until now. I trust that the Board will be true to their word and put up the funds they said they would, and whilst the amount saved through the cancellation of numerous contracts isn't huge, once combined with the additional money, I believe we will have enough to bring in one or two players that actually want to fight for the club.

Hopefully people will understand if the next couple of result go against us - but come January when we make some signings, hopefully the fightback will begin and we will start to get something out of this arse of a season.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Jack »

On another thread it has been suggested that we are trying to sign Ajala and Daniell. They are both tricky wide players which would indicate that KN wants to revert to a Buckle style of play rather than the 3 central defenders and 2 wing backs as favoured by Paul Cox. If it comes about it should be a more exciting watch.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Probably not but it would be nice if the club at least gave it a go.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Southampton .....I have vread with interest your posts for a while and you are obviously very close to the Club.
Am I right in saying that potentially 4,5 or 6 players may arrive? And alarmingly (although I know there is to be an appeal of his conviction) did I see Ched Evans name mentioned?
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

MF68 wrote:Southampton .....I have vread with interest your posts for a while and you are obviously very close to the Club.
Am I right in saying that potentially 4,5 or 6 players may arrive? And alarmingly (although I know there is to be an appeal of his conviction) did I see Ched Evans name mentioned?

I have also heard about ched evens, some weeks ago, but have not wanted to be the first person to mention it on here!
I hope this is more than just a rumour, good player, and have read the evidence online, in my opinion he just slept with a girl after a night out, and she took advantage of that.
I would be more than happy to welcome him at plainmoor and give him the opportunity to get his career going again!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Ched Evans, I d take him like a shot.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

come the end of jan id hope to see a few new faces and if the some of the names mentioned are correct then id go for a team something like this..

------MILDENHALL/Lavercombe------

Berry---MacDonald---Smith---Butler

DANIEL---Richards---NEW CM---AJALA

---------Fairhurst--Marsh-------------
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Without any level of prejudice I think there is enough controversy at the club, PR nightmare!
MF68 wrote:Southampton .....I have vread with interest your posts for a while and you are obviously very close to the Club.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

davidcaldwell123 wrote:Without any level of prejudice I think there is enough controversy at the club, PR nightmare!
Disagree Dave.

He's served his sentence, during which he maintained his innocence and is appealing the conviction, which I'm led to believe he would win.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Dave. I agree fully but also am mindful that he has served his sentence. Dare I mention Luke McCormick or Lee Hughes?