Lavercombe could save the club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Lavercombe could save the club

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Wether they appeal speiss dissmissal, surely Lavercombe is the only comodity we have(since luke young is injured and will go on a free in summer). We have to play Lavercombe 1)he's better than speiss and 2) if liverpool showed interest u can bet other teams will. He must be in the shop window... attention paul cox!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not sure why it's taken as certain that Young will go next summer. The fact he is injured and not in the shop window puts the club in a bit bargaining position for contract renegotiation.

Agree that Lavercombe is the most saleable asset we have, and I wouldn't be upset if he asserted himself in the first time now he has a game or two ahead of him. At least this year we know we have two capable stoppers so if Lavercombe goes we won't be too badly weakened
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

DaveysBarTab wrote:Wether they appeal speiss dissmissal, surely Lavercombe is the only comodity we have(since luke young is injured and will go on a free in summer). We have to play Lavercombe 1)he's better than speiss and 2) if liverpool showed interest u can bet other teams will. He must be in the shop window... attention paul cox!
Somebody talking sense I just hope the manager sees this as Lavercombe needs to play I wonder if he's got a keeper as sub. tomorrow. I've been saying this since the start of the season. :)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I do not agree that Lavercombe is the only saleable asset at all. I think if we look at the footballing education James Hurst has had, couple that with his performances, an attacking full back, constant threat, creating chances, scoring goals, I'm guessing his career had come of the rails some what, which could down to the personality of the player.

Maybe the suggestion he contacting our club in search of a contract suggests the lad may have done some growing up, and if his performances continue in the same vein, if continues to add goals, not going to be to long before someone further up the food chain comes in for him.

Yes Lavercombe is a saleable asset, but to say he could save the club is a bold statement. Clubs outside the top end of the premier league are not paying big money for players at the lower league end of the scale anymore, even if Lavercombe plays the next 30 games, how much money do we think our clubs going to get for a 19 year old conference keeper with 35 games under his belt, not a lot up front, maybe in terms of add on's, certainly not a club saving amount, better of trying to keep him, let him develop while getting the best out of his talent, because he will not worth mega money, as things stand.

Finally the day any manager, not just that of TUFC has to start playing young players in the hope someone might come along and buy them, THAT'S THE DAY, THAT CLUBS GOOSE IS WELL AND TRUELY COOKED.

Paul Cox' job is to win match's, he must, and no doubt will pick the 11 players he thinks stand the best chance of winning, just what he should be doing, end of.

Added in 3 minutes 40 seconds:
arcadia wrote: I wonder if he's got a keeper as sub. tomorrow.
Haven't seen any evidence the club has appealed the Spiess sending off, so what do you think ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Eunan O'Kane's sell on clause is probably the most likely chance of making 'big money' in the future. I believe that we have 15%, and he's currently playing in the Premiership every week. If you look at the kind of fees Championship clubs are throwing about (Fulham £11m on McCormack, Burnley £9m on Gray, Derby £20m in total, Bristol City making £8m offers...) then O'Kane's market value is probably upwards of £6m, and that's before he's played an international game (which will surely come very soon) or played more than a handful of top level games (increasing every week). In 12 months time he could be worth even more than that.

Is it worth offering Bournemouth the chance to buy that out? Maybe they would be happy to pay half a million or so for the chance to have the full transfer fee in the future? Obviously this is out of our hands, but it might be worth asking a question. Ok, maybe the transfer market goes even crazier and he moves in the future for £10m, but he might run down his contract and move on a free transfer, giving us nothing. If the club is desperate for money now, then it's worth asking the question in my opinion if the money can be used effectively.

Lavercombe is the only other possibility because the only players that move from this far down to that far up are youngsters with potential. 15 year olds in academies are worth more than professionals nowadays. A 19 year old keeper with his all round abilities might be spotted if he gets a run of games and builds a reputation. That is why I would play him over Speiss - they're both young in goalkeeping terms, but only Lavercombe has the potential to really explode in terms of performance/value. With the academy closed the potential for us to earn a really big fee in the future is reduced to almost zero.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I have to agree with forevertufc lavers combed is a good young prospect but I look at the likes of jonathon henley who was at reading and played most of the season on loan at welling he was freed from reading and went on trial at various clubs finally getting a deal at ipswich as third choice but he is still in the scotland u 21s squad so considering laverscombe went on trial at Liverpool and did not get a contract we would not get much for him
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Problem is goalkeepers do not traditionally go for big transfer fees, not at any level, look at the worlds top 100 transfers and you'll only see 1 keeper on there, Buffon, I believe the most ever paid domestically in England is £9 MILLION, when you think Andy Carroll once fetched £35million, even if Lavercombe explodes in terms of performances we'll be lucky to get £100k, very welcome indeed, hardly club saving.

Whilst I get the sentiment, playing a young player in this case Lavercombe in the hope of selling, is not, in anyway the right reason to play, the player, it really isn't.

What happens if say he did make a few mistakes, if he did have a few bad games, the manager is potentially risking blowing the lads confidence, development and career, Lavercombe is 19 very, very young for a keeper at any level, he needs to be handled correctly, not put in a sheep pen on market day.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

He was thrown into the deep end last season, and again on Saturday, and has done all he can in those 6 games to deserve a longer run.

It's not all about selling him, but developing the last of our academy graduates. Speiss is not a clear number one, so Lavercombe should be given a chance to play games when the time is right. That's the only way he'll fully develop.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gulliball wrote:He was thrown into the deep end last season, and again on Saturday, and has done all he can in those 6 games to deserve a longer run.

It's not all about selling him, but developing the last of our academy graduates. Speiss is not a clear number one, so Lavercombe should be given a chance to play games when the time is right. That's the only way he'll fully develop.
I completely agree, he does deserve a run of match's, and I've always believed both him and Spiess had a big part to play in this season, but, I'm sure you'll agree Lavercombe must be played for all the right reasons, selling him isn't one of them.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Problem is goalkeepers do not traditionally go for big transfer fees, not at any level, look at the worlds top 100 transfers and you'll only see 1 keeper on there, Buffon, I believe the most ever paid domestically in England is £9 MILLION, when you think Andy Carroll once fetched £35million, even if Lavercombe explodes in terms of performances we'll be lucky to get £100k, very welcome indeed, hardly club saving.

Whilst I get the sentiment, playing a young player in this case Lavercombe in the hope of selling, is not, in anyway the right reason to play, the player, it really isn't.

What happens if say he did make a few mistakes, if he did have a few bad games, the manager is potentially risking blowing the lads confidence, development and career, Lavercombe is 19 very, very young for a keeper at any level, he needs to be handled correctly, not put in a sheep pen on market day.
Lavercombe has not done this he has made a mistake but gets over over it what your talking about is rubbish Lavercombe may only get about £100,000 if he is able to continue his progress. Lavercombe will have clubs watching I assure you now it's up to him if he is picked. The sale on clause is what will make the money for Torquay but lets leave him to prove to everyone he's the player we want him to be.
The club would not be playing him to save the club we would be playing him because he's the best keeper in the club. lavercombe is special!
JUST REMEMBER Banks made his debut at 21, Clements at 18, Mervyn Day at 18 I'm not saying Dan is a Banks but given the chance why not!
The trouble with this country not enough youngsters are played whilst they are young to learn off of the star players at a high level but when they do get the chance we see a gem if they are treated right.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

He should feel a bit hard done not being 1st choice as speiss is dodgy/good shot stopper.

Hurst is on a 1 yr deal? Could b kicking ourselves yet again in the market.

Was hoping sale of bowman wouldnt be an error but were missing his goals(not his missing sitters) but i guess we aint creating anything he would get on the end of.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:I do not agree that Lavercombe is the only saleable asset at all. I think if we look at the footballing education James Hurst has had, couple that with his performances, an attacking full back, constant threat, creating chances, scoring goals, I'm guessing his career had come of the rails some what, which could down to the personality of the player.

Maybe the suggestion he contacting our club in search of a contract suggests the lad may have done some growing up, and if his performances continue in the same vein, if continues to add goals, not going to be to long before someone further up the food chain comes in for him.

Yes Lavercombe is a saleable asset, but to say he could save the club is a bold statement. Clubs outside the top end of the premier league are not paying big money for players at the lower league end of the scale anymore, even if Lavercombe plays the next 30 games, how much money do we think our clubs going to get for a 19 year old conference keeper with 35 games under his belt, not a lot up front, maybe in terms of add on's, certainly not a club saving amount, better of trying to keep him, let him develop while getting the best out of his talent, because he will not worth mega money, as things stand.

Finally the day any manager, not just that of TUFC has to start playing young players in the hope someone might come along and buy them, THAT'S THE DAY, THAT CLUBS GOOSE IS WELL AND TRUELY COOKED.

Paul Cox' job is to win match's, he must, and no doubt will pick the 11 players he thinks stand the best chance of winning, just what he should be doing, end of.

We are not doing that though!

Added in 3 minutes 40 seconds: Haven't seen any evidence the club has appealed the Spiess sending off, so what do you think ?
bigleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bigleigh »

I find this witch hunt against Speiss quite strange among some so called supporters. Speiss and Lavercombe are both young and inexperienced and will make mistakes. Paul Cox see's both keepers in training every day and in my opinion is more than capable to decide who should start games. With Speiss out suspended its up to Lavercombe to keep hold of the position. I personally think we have 2 very capable keepers and don't forget Liverpool also have shown interest in Speiss this year. http://www.nottinghampost.com/Notts-Cou ... story.html
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

it's fair to say Liverpool know what they're doing with regards to keepers and if you don't believe me ask Chris Kirkland, Peggy Arphexad, Brad Jones, Charles itandje, Scott Carson, Doni or Adam Bogdan.

Added in 9 minutes 14 seconds:
Oh and not until January he can't anyway, I didn't want Spiess personally I didn't feel he was what we needed at the time but he seems to have done ok so far and I still don't think you can make an 18 year old a regular number one especially in this team where it would probably hammer his confidence.

Lavercombe I presume is playing tonight and it's up to him to try and take that opportunity, I don't think there's an awful lot between the two which is half of the problem for me. I know it would have cost a bit more but we really needed an experienced proven number 1 who Lavercombe could then learn from.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The club is appealing the Spiess sending off; result this afternoon.