Fans Forum

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Fans Forum

Post by PhilGull »

So did anyone go last night? Anything of any interest said?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I was there. Great turnout, more than the board could have imagined.

Didn't take any notes but will try my best to put it on here.

1) After the other consortiums bid fell through, there was a very real chance that Torquay United would not have been here today had the current consortium not come in with a bid. They've been working 12+ hour shifts pretty much since they've come in because they've had virtually no time to meet the conferences bond payment. There's been a lot of stuff to sort out from the previous board.

2) The playing budget is set for an average home gate of 1800.

3) The consortium were told that Junes wages were paid in full when in reality they weren't and that the training ground was not on a lease and we had invested a lot of money on improvements, as well as paid to rent the site out each month.

4) Paul Cox I believe has contacted 4 players about signing for us and is hopeful we should hear news in the next few days. He wants a squad of 20 players and news on whether Ajala wants to stay should be known to him by today.

5) The players are in for pre-season on July 1st and PC wants us to be the fittest team in the league. Some players are even working on their fitness levels at training camps to be ready and up to the standards PC expects.

6) speaking to one of the directors after the meeting, they are expecting to travel to a lot of the away games on the day. There just isn't the money available for overnight stays, although I expect the Barrows, Gatesheads etc will be.

There was more but I'm sure someone who did take notes will be able to provide more info than I could.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Do you know if it was filmed? Would be interesting to see it.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

There was someone recording it however the microphone and speakers were c*ap!!

Hopefully it will be.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Thank you tktufc91 for your report.

I wanted to go but a family event prevented me going.

Are you saying the Club spent a significant sum of money,on the Seale Hayne training ground, some say £200,000, without having a lease, in other words, with NO security of tenure.

If this is correct it goes to show the previous Board had zero business acumen.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

portugull wrote:Thank you tktufc91 for your report.

Are you saying the Club spent a significant sum of money,on the Seale Hayne training ground, some say £200,000, without having a lease, in other words, with NO security of tenure.

You just could not believe it could you! A complete joke!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

another couple of points

This consortium were ready to go in March but had been turned down

That as we all probably guessed that the club wasn't "debt free", far from it , and that the due diligence had said "not to invest" ! I got the impression that they were all pretty shocked at the some of the financial aspects of the Club

Paul Cox spoke very passionately about wanting to do the job and the sort of person he is, and the sort of player he wants.

Communication both to the fans and internally was stressed.

Briefly touched on both Boots and the Club shop and Steve B agreed that these need to be revenue generating for the club, however they were both tied up in contracts which at present they couldn't get out of. Am I right in understanding that the upstairs bars are owned by the club ?
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Cheers Tom for your report! Sadly I was working last night and couldn't make the forum. Paul Cox sounds like he's the right man for the job, some of the players may be getting a little shock when they return to Plainmoor...*cough* Bowman *cough*.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Cheers Tom for your report! Sadly I was working last night and couldn't make the forum. Paul Cox sounds like he's the right man for the job, some of the players may be getting a little shock when they return to Plainmoor...*cough* Bowman *cough* .
Reckon he sh1t a brick when he saw the appointment!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tufctillidie
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by tufctillidie »

Richinns wrote: Reckon he sh1t a brick when he saw the appointment!
I doubt it, he's currently sunning himself in the baleric islands hah.

Was a positive evening to be honest, i was impressed with the turnout, as were the board.

a lot of good things came from the meeting, but only time can tell wether things will change for the better at the club.

i have a very positive attitude though.

I'll be getting my season ticket on friday :)

Matt
Keep Calm. Support Torquay United
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Very very positive.

In Dean Edwards and Steve Breed I can safely say we are in safe hands. So much passion, desire and commitment from these 2 that things will be changing for the better at our football club.

Paul Cox won't take any slackers so Bowman is going to be in for a shock when he turns up on the 1st July.

Get to the ground this year guys. The more that go, the more money PC will get to get us out of that league.

We have our club back!!!!
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

portugull wrote:Thank you tktufc91 for your report.

That is exactly what was said. Deano said thay they (The new board/owners) could not believe that no lease was put into place to preserve our expenditure at Seale Hayne. They are working on getting something sorted out.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I thought the evening was very positive. Such a contrast with the last couple of years.

I was, however, shocked that the previous board had left things in an even worse state than they had claimed. Although I still applaud Thea for bankrolling the Club for so long, I think her appointment as Chairman was, quite frankly, a disaster. Just when we needed a strong hand at the tiller we had the opposite and we were drifting to oblivion. Some of the revelations about Seale Hayne were damning! Clearly we were within a few hours of losing our football club - indeed, Dean Edwards actually said that that the new Board had deliberately ignored the recommendations in their due diligence report to save the Club. Hats off to them for doing so!

I was really impressed with Paul Cox. He is clearly a 'no nonsense' manager who has 'been there and got the tee-shirt' - he understands this particular league, knows how opposition managers set up their sides and appears to have not only a plan B but a plan C too when it comes to tactics (Mr Hargreaves please note!). He knows that there is not much cash around but he correctly identifies that, with the right players, we could still make an real impact - money isn't everything.

I thought the appointment of Dean Edwards as DOF was a really shrewd move - he knows PC well and between the two of them they will forge a really strong partnership. Dean will also provide an effective link between the manager and the Board - something which was previously lacking.

We have no alternative but to put our total trust in the new Board - now is the time to back the new management. Please, please fellow supporters purchase your season tickets if you can afford to and attend as many games as possible if you can't. Don't be swayed by short-term results - we need to be in this for the long haul. It will not be a sprint - it will be a marathon but one which we can win!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Fans Forum Video

[youtube]TYwq7pkHPmw[/youtube]

or
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Steve Breed stated that £150,000 had been spent on the training ground and no lease had been signed which is incompetence by the previous board. Bill Phillips had told the incoming board that the wages had been paid for June but they had not been.
Steve asked for volunteers to help the club if you able to help go forward and tell him how you can help or the time that you could give the club.
On the playing side Paul Cox was talking to a few players and should know in the next week or so of their decisions. He's talking to a keeper 31 years old to be keeper coach, he did not make it clear if the keeper would be his first choice.
Steve asked if the supporters would use the upstairs bar so the money would go back into the club but the response was not very good.
Paul Cox was confident but we must now wait and see, Dean Edwards the same both not proven, but both need our support.
Good night out.