Opening Day Conference Attendances

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Opening Day Conference Attendances

Post by nickbrod »

For the first day of a new season there were, apart from a massive 7019 for Bristol Rovers home Conference debut, some pretty worrying attendances.
611 at Welling, 613 at Alfreton, 935 at Nuneaton, only 1765 at Gateshead and 1964 at Aldershot.
There were just two other matches which attracted over 2000.
How many are likely to turn up on Tuesday night to watch Welling? Not only will the away end be closed but probably the away seating in the Bench! That just means home supporters and maybe a few holiday makers.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I think it may be the first time I've ever seen NO away fans at Plainmoor on Tuesday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

oh how depressing. I was looking to see if there was a table for attendances generaly. The Barbeecee text site used to do them but hasnt done for a couple of years now, I dont know why but one of the things i like to keep tabs on is attendances at all games to see how the seasons compare. I suppose you could call me a statistic Mystic
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

There may very well be over 2000 for Tuesday night's match, but if we lose or if the performance is as wretched as those of the last two seasons then it will be the last we see of the figure 2.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:There may very well be over 2000 for Tuesday night's match, but if we lose or if the performance is as wretched as those of the last two seasons then it will be the last we see of the figure 2.
Let me slightly re-word your post Wivel - There may very well be over 2000 for Tuesday night's match, but if we WIN and if the performance is much better than those of the last two seasons, then we might see over 2000 for most games. See? It doesn't take much to be positive !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I agree with Wivelgull - its the first game of the season at home. But if we don't impress tomorrow and we are amonst the also rans our attendances will struggle to make the 1200 mark.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote:I agree with Wivelgull - its the first game of the season at home. But if we don't impress tomorrow and we are amonst the also rans our attendances will struggle to make the 1200 mark.
You don't agree with Wivel though. He said that if we lose or the performance is wretched it is the last we will see of the figure 2. Your 1200 mark attendance includes the figure 2 ;-)
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I think it may be the first time I've ever seen NO away fans at Plainmoor on Tuesday.
Have you seen the number of holidaymakers down here at the moment? Got to be somebody from Welling down here on holiday surely?
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote: Have you seen the number of holidaymakers down here at the moment? Got to be somebody from Welling down here on holiday surely?

Unless Welling has a huge French/German following.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I think it may be the first time I've ever seen NO away fans at Plainmoor on Tuesday.

You are obviously too young to remember the 87/88 season when, other than Luton Town, we were the only team around who banned away fans. A huge over-reaction to some chaos caused by Wolves fans, the season before.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I think there will be just under 2000 there. If this game was played a few months later on a Champions League night, then I think it would be nearer the 1500 mark.

Hopefully the Gateshead result won't put off too many people, I mean after all,'it's our second game of the season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Too many variables and competing attractions in play today to accurately "guess" the home attendance tonight, including - Childrens Week 2014 (on Paignton Green), Paignton Regatta funfair (with fireworks display in the evening) and Torre Abbey Meadows funfair. I'm over in Paignton today and will remain until well after the fireworks display is over.

My first game will be Southport on Saturday and when I've seen the deadbeats and newbies in proper League action then I'll be in a position to assess who and what is shite and whether I'll be investing anymore time and money in the Baker/Phillips experiment.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

1846 home fans is not awful for a Tuesday night.

Last season we had 1528 (home fans only) for Rochdale, 1663 for Bury, 1524 for Burton, 1982 for Northampton and 2346 for the Plymouth derby.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Never saw many away fans back in the 70's unless it was a local derby or the first game of the season. Then again games were on a Saturday night back then. I remember Workington Town having 4! :S
Oblivion!!!!