Conference 14/15

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Conference 14/15

Post by Jeff »

Now that the lineup is almost sorted, thought I'd kick a thread off for us to keep an eye on our rivals etc.

Quite glad with the sides who are promoted today - Altrincham and Dover. Both clubs with history, proper old-school grounds with none of this "boom or bust", sugar daddy syndrome that is prevalent in lower leagues.

Also pleased that Telford have been promoted, even though they are a Phoenix club, it's a town that has a long history of Conference football and by all accounts it's a nice ground too. Only Eastleigh are the johnny-come-lately, bank rolled club without the historic fan base at this level.

As for the others, I think only Lincoln have signed someone (some lad from Southport), wheras Southport have appointed Martin Foyle as manager.

Interesting times ahead.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I'm looking forward to Telford and Kidderminster away because I can introduce some colleagues to grass roots football :)
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

potentially add dover to my list of away days from Basingstoke, but midweek would be a problem me things, just a tad too far going round the M25 after work, but looking good for me for away days
TUST MEMBER
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I assume that the only matter left to be decided is the Cambridge v Gateshead playoff before there is a completed list of teams for next year's league? Of course we are losing a much juicier fixture list in league two however there are quite a few accessible away fixtures next season as has already been mentioned. This is all based on where you call home of course but it appears a number of games are in the south/midlands vicinity. When you consider Rovers unexpectedly joined us, you've then got FGR, Kidderminster, Telford, Alfreton (a bit further on), Salisbury, Nuneaton and Hereford. Hopefully I might get the chance to tick off a few new grounds next season!
The original taunton_gull!!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Should also have added, that as a small-scale blast from the past Nuneaton have signed Ben Starosta - a right back who I think we trialled under Buckle in our first season back in L2. Starosta had been captaining a side in the Phillipines.

This is how the conference rolls - left-field signings from exotic backwards. Get those scouts out Greavsie!
Gourock Gulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: ?????

Post by Gourock Gulls »

Looking forward to games with Welling United, who I have looked out for for several years. Decent enough ground and a well run club - after run in with the tax man a few years back.
If Gateshead stay down; that is a possible convenient away trip for the Gourock Gulls B-) Southport also on the radar!
Gourock Gulls
est. 2010
C'mon the Gulls! C'mon the Ton

TUFC/GMFC/BFC/WUFC/BTAFC

Avatar by kind permission of Historical Football Shirts.com
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Hereford is one of those on mine and probably a few others radar. I've always hated going there though, cack ground, we never see to get a result and it always seems to be cold and wet! Even got nicked there once for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not a lot of due process going on that day!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Gullscorer wrote:But Herefordshire and Shropshire are lovely rural counties with some great cider...!! :)
Ahhhhh but Dave and I live in the home county of cider so why travel? =D
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Burnhamgull wrote:Ahhhhh but Dave and I live in the home county of cider so why travel? =D
Travel obviously not essential, unless you drink the county dry... :lol:
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Genuinely looking forward to visiting some smaller clubs and feeling like we might be favourites for once (although let's see what the starting XI looks like before we make that judgement).
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Jeff wrote:Should also have added, that as a small-scale blast from the past Nuneaton have signed Ben Starosta - a right back who I think we trialled under Buckle in our first season back in L2. Starosta had been captaining a side in the Phillipines.
I thought he looked a cut above the rest of the squad when he was here on trial. Im astonished no one at L1 or L2 level signed him that season. Couldnt agree personal terms if I remember rightly.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Dexter
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by Dexter »

Being Gloucestershire based I'm looking forward to FGR, Kidderminster, Telford, Nuneaton, Salisbury, Hereford, Rovers and Tamworth.
The deluded optimist
Scorpion
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Scorpion »

Dexter wrote:Being Gloucestershire based I'm looking forward to FGR, Kidderminster, Telford, Nuneaton, Salisbury, Hereford, Rovers and Tamworth.
Tamworth were relegated! :lol:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Dexter wrote:Being Gloucestershire based I'm looking forward to FGR, Kidderminster, Telford, Nuneaton, Salisbury, Hereford, Rovers and Tamworth.
Hi Dexter. If your Gloucestershire based.Where are you in the County. We are Glouc based too.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843