Manchester City fan here...

General chat about anything else goes here.
BlueGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Bodin

Manchester City fan here...

Post by BlueGull »

I'm a Man City fan (from Manchester before you ask) and I've been half following Torquay for a few years now for whatever reasons (family to begin with) and I was just wondering about the views on city from fans like yourselves. I understand that we are not very well liked, especially since the takeover, but I'm just interested on honest opinions about city and premier league football. Not just about the recent money, but as a whole.

And of course, the BEST of luck to Torquay. Hate to see you go down
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I still quite like Man City. Like the colours and the history of the club - plus loyalty of fanbase. If a club deserve such success, then I think Man City fans do. The way they won the title in that dramatic game v QPR was incredible and probably 'typical' City to have such a shoddy defence of it...suspect Chelsea will win it this year but would rather see City do it.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

hector wrote:I still quite like Man City. Like the colours and the history of the club - plus loyalty of fanbase. If a club deserve such success, then I think Man City fans do. The way they won the title in that dramatic game v QPR was incredible and probably 'typical' City to have such a shoddy defence of it...suspect Chelsea will win it this year but would rather see City do it.
Strange isn't it?

I still quite like City also, whereas I cannot abide the other "money" team (Chelsea).

Not sure what it is, I think they are just a more likeable club in general.

Of course it helps that they don't have lowlifes like Terry and Cashley playing for them!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

It's easier for us to like a team like Man City because they've not always been at the top level. It really wasn't that long ago there were in the third tier struggling much like most of the teams we play against.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

City are the very epitome of everything that is wrong with the Premier League.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
BlueGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by BlueGull »

Honestly that was the response I was expecting and the one that I see from most fans of most clubs. Even Chelsea fans have the cheek to talk like that strangely.
I do understand that opinion and I think I'd feel the same if it was another club than city. Happy to see some positives too though
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Of course what Matt fails to mention is that he is a Man Utd fan. ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Jerry wrote:Of course what Matt fails to mention is that he is a football fan. ;-)
Edited for factuals

;-) :)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Edited for factuals

;-) :)
Edited further, so factuals are actually factual . Jerry was right.

As a side note, feel very sorry for those real genuine Man.c fans who followed their team through Div 2 and Div 3 who can no longer wear their colours with out being called a glory hanger on. I have nothing against Man.c it's no their fault some super rich bloke came along, were they supposed to turn the money down.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

As usual Matt is talking through his hat, probably intentionally: he's a little mischief-maker, harmless enough though. :~D
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

As a Torquay fan, we get excited when we spend £10,000, and we deem ourselves lucky to be able to spend that when we can, so to watch premier league football clubs throw around £30 million on mediocre players who fall to the floor from the slightest contact, or in some cases none whatsoever, it is a completely different world.

I watch the Premier league closely enough, and with no alliance to any team, it just does not compare to standing on the terraces at Plainmoor. It is completely different to lower league football in every conceivable way. The sport at the highest level, is run like a business and everything hinges on money. Multi-millionaires will refuse to play because they get dropped to the bench. Some of these players have forgotten why they fell in love with football in the first place.

We piss and moan at Torquay because we don't do things well, we don't do things properly, we try and run our club professionally and end up making a dog's dinner out of it on countless occasions, that is all part of the charm. Last night we won a home match for the first time in 24 years and it felt amazing, through all the shite, adversity, trouble and strife we had finally won a football match, contrast that to the reactions of fans who lose 1 game in every 6 and still want their manager out, where winning a league cup is the least one would expect. Where a quarter final cup defeat to the holders renders the manager incapable. The two situations just do not compare.

I wouldn't say I hold Premier league football with contempt, as I say I watch it whenever its on TV, I guess I just see it as a completely different entity to the football with which I have been brought up on and fallen in love with. Lower league football is all about heart and soul, Premier eague football is decided by the size of some rich bloke's wallet.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I prefer neither, but if I had to pick one from the two it would be Man City.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but it seems Man City, and Chelsea come to that, put millions into football whilst Man U (not their genuine fans fault, few that there are) take millions out with interest payments on loans that Glazier secured against the club.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I deplore the ££££s sloshing around in the Premier and I fear the bubble will burst eventually. I don't think players in the German Bundesleague (spelling?) get paid anything like our Premier players. Having said that, I am envious of the genuine supporters who can see great football in fabulous stadiums with fantastic atmosphere. As for Man City, I like Pellegrini and his attitude ('as long as we score one more goal than the opposition, I don't care how many goals we concede') and although I've no allegiance to any Premier side, I'd like to see them, or Arsenal, win the league ....... still prefer them back in the days of Mike Summerbee and Colin Bell.

Have to say, though, I have more admiration for fans of clubs like Bury, Rochdale, Accrington, Macclesfield, Stockport - almost in the shadows of the two Manchester clubs' floodlights yet still choose to support their local teams.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I take it you've not been Accrington
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You can't blame him, Luce, nor has anyone else.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"