Torquay United v York City - 5/10/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v York City - 5/10/13

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The Yorkies are in town leds and gents just a shame they will be one light as I can't make this game and so instead I shall be bringing to you the preview through the medium of pages and pages of vacuous nonsense. Those of you with a serious disposition may of course scroll to the end where you will find a grot video of Carol Vorderman in a gang bang. Those of you with a more taciturn nature may read bits of it if you wish and then decline to comment and those with a mental age of 6 like myself may just like it a little.

Many thanks to GG for filling in for the games v Chelts and Newport, the cheque's in the post GG. Oh, hang on. I've got a worse credit score than the RBS so they took my cheque book away from me ages ago. Sorry! It's funny now whenever I enquire about something and I get told, "Well what we'll do is run a quick credit search....." and once I've heard that I just tell them to forget it then and walk off or hang up. :-/

Anyway, York City are the visitors to Plainmoor on Saturday and the Minstermen will be looking to back up their 4-2 home win against Portsmouth at the weekend with another 3 points in Devon. Ex-Gull Ryan Jarvis will be returning to the club he left during the summer and he should get a good reception. Always liked Jarvo, ok he's not the best but he's often the running man and give him the ball around the area and he can finish, a real predator so I hope the Plainmoor faithful welcome the lad back. He got a raw deal at Torquay with the style of play Ling adopted I feel. He has also scored 5 goals for the Yorkies and so needs watching. With Richard Cresswell sitting out the last game of a 3 game ban it is certain that Jarvo will be starting for the men in red, white and blue.

I've been using my York City links (I was a regular at Bootham Crescent for a good few years in the 90's ) and from what I gather they have been playing better this season than their results suggest and apart from the 0-0 home draw v Hartlepool. A game which someone told me they (and Hartlepool) were atrocious and both sets of fans could have had a kip for an an hour and a half and not missed owt. It looks like they may be picking up now and although they have only one draw to their name on their travels (a 1-1 at Wycombe) they have only failed to score at Dagenham, netting 2 at Brizzle and 1 at Exeter.

All in all they have a similar profile to us in the sense that they have struggled for form, they have two wins against struggling opposition (like us and I class Pompey as struggling too) , they have failed to score at home to Hartlepool (like us) and drew 0-0 and we both have the same goal difference of -4. They are in 21st place a point behind us on 8. This suggests that the game on Saturday could have goals in it but that a draw looks a likely result.

Nigel Worthington took over at the end of last season in what could have been the end of days for the Minstermen however he kept them above the league 2 trapdoor and now he will be looking to push on and mould a side up there in North Yorkshire. He has relied on free signings like ourselves and has had to ship out a lot of dead wood and introduce many new faces to the club.

In the goalkeeping department they have NI stopper Michael Ingham who is very experienced. He has made well over 200 appearances for York and he also has 3 caps for Northern Ireland including a debut in 4-1 defeat to Germany several years back. Worthingtoh has added Chris Kettings on loan from Blackpool as back up.

In defence they have released Chris Doig to the codheads, another with experience Jon Challinor has joined non league Stamford after spending pre-season with the Daniels at Kettering Road (they are nicknamed 'the daniels' after allegedly the fattest man in English history who was called Daniel Lambert and who died in the town). I always thought Rene Howe was the fattest man in English history followed by another ex-Gull Billy Kee and then Chunkygull, then Jonny Vegas and then me. Oh and I forgot about that bloke off Channel 4 with the 68 stone testicles, yes, he is probably heavier than me I suspect. Apologies for that load of boll*cks. Former Leeds youngster Jameel Ible has also been let go, to Guiseley.

Coming in to shore up the back line are 17 year old defender Ben Davies who has been starting for York and he comes from Preston NE on loan. He is very highly thought of. They also have established players already there such as Lanre Oyebanjo, Chris Smith, Danny Parslow, David McGurk and Jamal Fyfield.

In the middle of the park they have released Pat McLaughlin and Scott Kerr to the codheads, I liked Kerr, thought he was a decent player at this level but hey what do I know? Matty Blair has gone to other codheads at Fleetwood, Lee Bullock finds himself by the seaside too at Whitby Town. Lovely place, been a million times. Lived not far off near Pickering about 10 years back in a village called Kirbymoorside in Ryedale.
Michael Potts, brother of Paul has joined Guiseley and is taking lessons from the tenor so he can deliver a stinging rendition of 'Sh*t ground no fans' whenever he runs out onto the Nethermoor Park turf. Guiseley is a very nice place as i'm sure Gazzab our Leeds based Gull will testify.

Coming in from Middlesbrough (he did right - THEY ARE SERIOUSLY SH*TE!!) is Ryan Brobbel on loan, Elliot Whitehouse comes in for a brief stint from Sheff U, ex Gills man Lewis Montrose joined on a 2 year deal, Estonian international Sander Puri also signed a 2 year deal after being released by St Mirren. He began his career back in Estonia with a club sponsored by high class prozzies. FC Premium Tartu. Josh Carson has signed a one year deal in 2 weeks back and they also have Ashley Chambers, Craig Clay, Michael Coulson and Tom Platt.

I happen to think that their midfield is incredibly weak and we can really exploit that. Not so weak however is their attack. We all know about Jarvo but they also have Wes Fletcher signed from Burnley, Ryan Bowman, Richard Cresswell (who will be suspended) and Tom Chamberlain. They did lose Jason Walker to Ostersunds BK in Sweden and also Jamie Reed to Chester FC but I think they have enough there when all are available to get goals.

I'm sure Yorkie the lion (who takes it up the arse) will be gutted about missing out on the trip to Plainmoor as large carnivorous animals aren't permitted on the supporters coach but I reckon good old Trigger might be making the trip. Is he still alive Yorkies?
If you hear an odd noise coming from the away end, a kind of series of animal noises and bird shrieks then that will be Trig. He is a York fans legend and although I don't know him personally (he's probably a really nice bloke) he is possibly the kind of bloke who you avert your eyes from when you see him getting on a bus. :)

That always happens to me you know, I must be the sort of bloke who just attracts weirdo's. Maybe because I am one myself who knows? I find the place you are most likely to attract an oddball is on a railway station platform. It can be real freak-fest at times. Buses are prime spots for being targeted by a nutter. We've all been there i'm sure. The weird thing for me is that i'm not so much bothered by the drunken freak that comes and takes a seat next to me when half of the bus/train is empty. I can now deal with that. No, it's the fact that if you put up with it you now become the focus of entertainment, mirth and merriement for the rest of the passenegers as they breathe a sigh of relief and settle down to watch the show. The show being, you having to fend off this headcase for the remainder of the journey! :clap:

Even weirder than that is that you try and do it by making small talk because you don't want to offend him!! It's us that are mental not them!!

Just tell them to go and sit somewhere else politely and if they still persist then put their f*cking head through the window. It really is that simple. My tactic now is just to get up and go and sit somewhere else and hope they get the message that their behaviour is bloody odd. I'm not saying Trigger is anything like this, what I do know is that he is dedicated York supporter. Can I also apologise in advance for any of you who complained to ASDA about the 'mental patient' Halloween costume and who take offence at my apparent bashing of people with mental health issues. I've been in the system for 15 years to varying degrees so i'm effectively taking the p*ss out of myself. :)

If I had the choice of sitting next to a person with mild mental health issues (serious ones would mean they wouldn't be on a bus in the first place unless they were under the jurisdiction of the Doncaster NHS Trust and then we've all got problems) or sitting next to drunken old bloke with no manners or a drunken / stoned chav or even chav twins then I would be perfectly happy giving 10 minutes of my life talking to the one who is struggling with life through no fault of their own. The others can just go and live on a massive island, grunt at each other, watch Jeremy Kyle and perhaps make their own reality tv show called, 'I HAVE EVOLVED - GET ME OUT OF HERE' .

Basically what happens is that all these unicellular organisms that think driving around a town centre at night in a f*cked Subaru with blacked out windows and rap bullsh*t blurting out is somehow acceptable get rounded up and dumped on a massive uninhabited island to fend for themselves. Obviously this is an alien concept to them having had the Government giving them free money all their lives and in return they go and make everyone's lives a misery. The aim is to eliminate all wasters who don't benefit society in anyway by a series of challenges and the survivors will have done so because they have evolved into humans and can be re-introduced to society with not a stripey top or wonky baseball cap to be worn again! HOORAY!! :bow:

As it is a show not meant to be funny it will be hosted by Keith Lemon. :rules:

There will be 'fight offs' where the two losers with the lowest IQ of those on the island have to fight to the bitter end armed with yucca plants in a huge off licence and the winner gets to take a few bottles of their choice as a reward. Just like in their real lives. (but minus the yucca).

There will also be 'battle re-enactments' where thousands are rounded up, split into two armies, given bricks, baseball bats and Staffies and allowed to recreate famous battles of past history. The audience then have to guess which battle they are trying to re-create and they can be in with a chance of winning a free neutering voucher for their Fila Brazilieros. A banned dog they only got hold of because they heard some geezer in the pub was knocking out some dodgy Fila's. Sadly these neutering vouchers won't ever be used. :'(

As you know I've worked in animal welfare for a number of years and I remember once asking a lady (she sounded a bit simple) if her dog had been neutered and she said, "yes, she's had all her jabs"!! Jesus, I hope she isn't a nurse otherwise if you think i'm going in for the flu vaccination with her you can f*ck off!! Oh and just a random quip, one woman rang up and said that she had found a snail in her garden and asked what she should do with it! No sh*t. That happened. Often working for the UK's largest animal charity puts you at the wrong end of ridiculous calls that could only be compared to ones on those 999 tv shows about stupid calls. Humanity can be really quite staggering at times. :O

Anyway, as this is a home game there will be no insights into the delights of Eboracum or Jorvik depending on your persuasion and this thread is relatively giggle free. There will be no ticket and travel details or no memories thread.

BUT...................................................................................................

THERE WILL BE THIS!! :)

An Ode to Manish

It's 11 o'clock on Saturday night and i'm starting to feel tired
I've drank 8 pints, ate a cottage pie and the day has nearly expired
I've watched West Brom and I've watched Man U and also Norwich City
Now it's our turn now to show the world our football is so pretty

So p*ss off Gary and you Premiership whores, go home and count your money
As wearing flash clothes and talking boll*cks really is not funny
So on comes Manish and Leroy too to talk about league 2
But we have to wait another few hours until they f*cking do!

They begin with Derby, Blackpool too and also dirty Leeds
Then discuss their problems club by club oh how my f*cking heart bleeds
Sod the chat it's half past 12 so just show us the f*cking goals
Then we can watch Torquay and go to bed and rest our weary souls.

Last week we hit 4 in a game with 6 so we thought we would be first
But we all know as Torquay fans that we are somehow all cursed
Time flew by and I fell asleep but at least I missed the Greeks
They came from a goal behind last week to win against the Fleets

Plymouth too were ahead of us and their game was nil - nil!!
It's a good job I had dropped to sleep or I would have felt quite ill
But now it's all good Manish that you always put us on last
As now I can watch the Torquay game whilst having my breakfast!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about the crap thread all. Wycombe is our next away game so I can hopefully write a bit more then.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw in this game and I have a strong feeling that Jarvo will score against us. I don't think we will win which is sad as York aren't a great side and have got off to an indifferent start like ourselves but a defeat would get some alarm bells ringing I reckon. I hope we don't feel the red heat on Saturday.

Hope the York lads have a safe trip down and a good day out, I've sat with you on many occasions and enjoyed your company during my brief stint as an 'unofficial' York fan and I know the city and area like the back of my hand having been brought up in part around there. I've spent many a day in the David Longhurst and I just feel sorry for you that you can't sing the song about shooting the Scarborough scum anymore as the old seadogs are now a new phoenix club.

Hope all the Gulls get behind the lads and enjoy the game too and if we attack from the off then we win the game! COYY!!!! :scarf: :scarf:

By the way, there is no filth video of Carol Vorderman here - just teasing!

In addition, bizarrely I have included the titles of 6 Arnold Schwarznegger films in the thread so if you can be arsed then they are in there. Don't know why I did that.

Yorkshire born and Tetley bitter nah nah nah nah nah nah nah!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Those of you with a serious disposition may of course scroll to the end where you will find a grot video of Carol Vorderman in a gang bang.
:@ :@

I scrolled right to the bottom of the thread, to find this!!
AustrianAndyGull wrote: By the way, there is no filth video of Carol Vorderman here - just teasing!

C**t

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

First game of the season for me.

First time in the Bench. (After this, will be trying to get semi-regularly back on the popside to actually make some noise happen, used to love it back in the days when I had money!)

First time in about ten years that I'll be sat with my dad at a football match.

First team that we played at home in my first full season as a fan, and the first I didn't see us lose to (my previous was a 3-0 drubbing by Chester!)

Let's hope we can find some defensive cover by then, seeing as apparently Pearce is ill as well! Proper excited, just want the week at the grind to go quickly now!!! :) :scarf:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Well lads and lasses - this is THE one !!! The magical tenth game of the season when all is supposed to come together. So with York still pinching themselves that they beat Portsmouth last Saturday, I'll go with a 3 - 1 United victory and that we leapfrog above Argyle again.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Oh Andy. You do so disapoint me. I would have thought that after Cheltenham you may have taken up the mantle and at least put in a few lines of Viking (or Swedish Chef if you can't read Viking)(P.S. That's not the Viking direct office supplies by the way). Or at least a bit of Latin as the Romans main language. tut tut.
Oh well I suppose I will have to edurcate yer and teach yer some crek Brissle, Latin and Svwedish Chef.
Herdygyerdyn borginbergenforg. Yerkyborkyblundenfish.
By the way. did anyone bother to translate the Latin I did write?

P.P.S The cheques back in the post you miserable bleeder. Fancy sending me a rubber one. Noel Edmunds was most disapointed.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

The ref for this one is Mr Michael Naylor who last reffed us in our 2-2 home draw with Bristol Rovers the season before last. His record is promising for not dishing out cards too so hopefully you will all get to see an open and flowing game on Saturday.

Assistants are Mr Andrew Bennett and Mr Adam Bromley and the 4th official is Mr Richard Hulme.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Can you pay cash on the turnstiles in the pop or do you need to get a ticket first? I ask as there may be faint hope of me getting down for this and usually I buy my tickets online and get them sent out to me so I don't have to queue when I get to Plainmoor but as it is now Wednesday there wouldn't be time for that.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

by AustrianAndyGull

In defence they have released Chris Doig to the codheads, another with experience Jon Challinor has joined non league Stamford after spending pre-season with the Daniels at Kettering Road (they are nicknamed 'the daniels' after allegedly the fattest man in English history who was called Daniel Lambert and who died in the town). I always thought Rene Howe was the fattest man in English history followed by another ex-Gull Billy Kee and then Chunkygull, then Jonny Vegas and then me. Oh and I forgot about that bloke off Channel 4 with the 68 stone testicles, yes, he is probably heavier than me I suspect. Apologies for that load of boll*cks. Former Leeds youngster Jameel Ible has also been let go, to Guiseley.

huh,hem, oy, :@ some people would get offended by that, some might even get upset :( :'(

but not me, im not a soft, easily offended type, in fact i laughed my ass off. :~D i actually feel quite honoured to have had a mention in one of your matchday previews. cheers andy. :-D :bow:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

No worries Chunk, I know you're the type of bloke who can laugh at himself and that's the way it should be! :-D

I don't actually know if you are overweight mate anyway, you might not be. If you were then so what?! Rock and roll let's all have a pear! :)

I'm just shy of 17 stone but I am quite a stocky bloke. I would admit to having a larger belly than i'd like but it's not massive by any means. I can usually hide much of it if I slump a bit and breathe in, it's less hard work than giving up food and drink. :-D

I think 14 and a half would be my ideal weight. If I listened to the quacks and followed their BMI stuff they'd have me coming in at 78 grams!! :O

As for the York game, my other half (not married though) has planned to spend the day at her mates in Rotherham with our little un and their little uns at Clifton Park so I've got my work cut out to try and get the decision overruled so I can go to footy. I've suggested we have a weekend away but in Torquay so I can watch the footy and they can go and do summat else. Then i'd have to go out for the day on sunday. Hey, I could use my footy winnings from last neet! :)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I've just had a look on their board. It seems the terrace is closed on Saturday and they're in the Bench and paying £21 for the privilege. They aren't happy about it, which I sort of understand, but they're going about expressing that it in a very strange way. They keep rattling on about our club being "organised". I'm not sure what they're getting at, but there are too many mentions of it to not be something meaningful. Did we balls up our allocating of tickets or something when we played them before?

Regardless, they're not happy, they seem to think that we've done it because we like screwing over York City fans (as opposed to it being a thing we do for every club which brings fewer than 500 fans and a thing which we have done to us at almost every ground we visit).

They seem in confident mood ahead of the match (stuffed Pompey about 6-0 last week, so I don't blame them) and that was before they knew that we were likely to have precisely zero fit centre backs (new boy aside). This is going to have to be another game where we set up simply to score more than the opposition, rather than attempt to defend a lead or play tight and nick a winner. We couldn't possibly dominate as much as we did against Newport, so we'll have to hope that Jarvis is kept quiet and that Azezezezezzze or A. N. Other can bag a couple at the other end.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Can you pay cash on the turnstiles in the pop or do you need to get a ticket first? I ask as there may be faint hope of me getting down for this and usually I buy my tickets online and get them sent out to me so I don't have to queue when I get to Plainmoor but as it is now Wednesday there wouldn't be time for that.
You can pay cash on the turnstiles, in fact I rarely buy a ticket in advance unless it's one of the bigger games.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Thanks Jase but after much deliberation and wrangling I am now to be spending the night in a caravan near Whitby so I shall be in North Yorkshire not Torquay. However I may be able to get the match on BBC radio York or Minster FM with a bit of luck.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wouldn't mind going to this one actually - with a couple of new players and Ryan Jarvis playing. This sould be a decent game.
However I am continuing my self enforced exile until results and the standard of football improves. Anyone know what Teignmouth Town are like by the way as I shall be watching themn tomorrow.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

We have some exciting players at the club now brucie and why would you not want to see the likes of Chappell and Azeez in action when you were in regular attendance when the likes of Stevens and Macklin were starting?
Crazy!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Quite simply because although the players you mention are indeed better the standard of football is probably worse than it was under Ling (and believe me that is a feat in itself) - I wouldn't mind seeing Azeez but not sure that I want to fork out £70 for the privelege of doing so.
Travelling for three hours, and the continuing failure to address the seating issue in Bristows Bench puts me off to be honest.
All those factors need to be weighed up against watching my local team, I can watch my two sons play, have a couple of drinks in the pub afterwards and save myself a load of money in the process. Theres other factors as well which I have alluded to once before.
Hope we win tomorrow anyway.