Crossbar challenge

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Crossbar challenge

Post by Richinns »

Why has this been scrapped?

I always bought my ticket in the hope I get to go on the pitch and try and smash the ball against the bar. Now I will never have that chance. Will no longer bother with the 50/50 draw.

Gutted.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

Rich it has been replaced by a game of shoot the ball through the holes type thing, only Deano hasn`t quite perfected the new game set up yet, should be in place for the next home game! You can still win a visit to the penalty area, nothing was done last game but don`t worry, it`s easier to win this than the cross bar challenge!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Thanks geezer - fair enough!

Good to hear and I take back my threat of boycotting the 50/50!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Sad to hear that, I suppose it's because nowadays at half time 80% of the crowd need their faces surgically removing from their 'mobile device of choice' and are oblivious to it happening. Gone are the days when I had to give my girlfriends the phone numbers of the clubs I was going to so they could get in touch with me at the game if needed. One time i had a message read out on the PA at Boothferry Park for a 'domestic issue'! Mental.

No, it's sad that the crossbar challenge has been shelved. Is this permanent?

Why don't they ask people to write their names and details on losing 50/50 tickets and get them to pop them into a box somewhere at the club and the first 10 or whatever drawn out wins a pair of match tickets and a free programme for their chosen game? Just an idea.

Just read Geezers post but can't be arsed to delete all i'd written! :) So hey, good to hear there is a new game in town, just put your f*cking phones down for 15 minutes eh lads? :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Having never owned - nor even used - a mobile phone in my life I cannot imagine why one would want to look and listen to these objects while the crossbar challenge is going on.
Incidentally, Deano needs lessons in microphone technique. It's a powerful instrument, Deano; there's no need to shout, we can all hear you!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wivelgull wrote:Having never owned - nor even used - a mobile phone in my life I cannot imagine why one would want to look and listen to these objects while the crossbar challenge is going on.
Incidentally, Deano needs lessons in microphone technique. It's a powerful instrument, Deano; there's no need to shout, we can all hear you!
He's northern, he only has two volume settings, Loud and Louder.

I'm more interested in the scores from around the divisions than I am someone else trying to hit the crossbar, hence I use my phone during half time.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'm interested in the scores from around the divisions too Matt, just at full time. :na: :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

That's a decent point, Andy. Halftimes mean nothing in reality. Just provides a topic of conversation. So and so is 8-0 up at HT and what not.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I don't mind that Matt, people who can multi task are fine - ie they can flick through the scores, chat to their mates AND watch what is going on at half time on the pitch. It's just the head down, speak to nobody, look at nobody until the the players re-emerge types that wrankle. Often i go alone to games but like to just stand or sit there at half time taking it all in and looking round (not for new friends though :Oops: ). It is relaxing and makes it more of an experience, i can look at my phone when i come out the ground.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I still remember the words of a good friend which summed up the head down types.

The brain is only capable of permanently remembering a miniscule amount of images, compared to what we actually see, and we all have plenty of pictures in our minds of beautiful spots, nice views (whether it be landscape or... portrait) and our friends and family. We also have no choice of what is retained, so why would you want to risk having one of those memories an image of your phone?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

I haven't seen the new style of 'shoot the balls in the holes' but I've always wondered whether it would be possible to take a series of penalties against the keeper who's on the bench?

That way, if you score, you can brag about having scored against the keeper and you win a prize.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

GazTheGull wrote:I haven't seen the new style of 'shoot the balls in the holes' but I've always wondered whether it would be possible to take a series of penalties against the keeper who's on the bench?

That way, if you score, you can brag about having scored against the keeper and you win a prize.
I'm sure seeing the likes of us lot lumbering up to dispatch one penalty after the other past him will help Martin Rice's newly-discovered confidence no end of good.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

GazTheGull wrote:I haven't seen the new style of 'shoot the balls in the holes' but I've always wondered whether it would be possible to take a series of penalties against the keeper who's on the bench?
If he's on the bench and i'm taking penalties then i'll score every time! :)
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Some people have to go on their phones at half time to update the rest of us on here.