Torquay United v Northampton Town - 15/12/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Northampton Town - 15/12/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

WHAT A LOAD OF COBBLERS!!

Literally. The players and fans of Northampton Town FC come down to South Devon looking for the three points against a Gulls side in a bit of disarray at the moment. A win for the men from Northants will see them leap-frog us by a point as they currently sit 2 points behind us in 13th place and with 29 points. They will be looking to capitalise on perhaps a little bit of negativity in the yellow camp after a demoralising loss to Bradford where the lads worked their socks off and deserved something out of the game but got nothing. The lads will be deflated after that defeat and will certainly have to try and re-invigorate themselves for Northampton.

Torquay will be without defensive kingpin Brian Saah for this due to his straight red at Bradford and as i write this there is no news on the injury Billy Bodin sustained which forced him off in the first half of that game. Lee Mansell is available for selection once more after completing his 3 match ban for his sending off against Southend and we will await news of whether he is to be thrust straight back into the starting line up. My guess is that he will be. Quite what the starting line up and formation will be for the visit of the Cobblers will remain a mystery until prior to kick off but i just hope that Martin doesn't alter things too much and try to use Mansell ( if selected ) as a safety first option.

Our visitors from Sixfields are more or less on a par with us in terms of league position, they have scored a handful of goals more than us but have also conceded a handful of goals more than us so all in all it will be a tight game in prospect but one which should see goals. They have scored in each of their last seven matches netting 16 times; however, they have also only won 2 of their 10 away games and conceded 19 goals in those games, almost double our away goals against tally. They have also gone 12 games without a 0-0 draw. Goals look a certainty in this game and with us having 10 goal top scorer Rene Howe and them having former Gull Adebayo Akinfenwa who has got 13 thus far, i don't think i will be wrong. Discipline is a problem also as they have had 4 dismissals so far this season, the same as us. All in i reckon this game could be a cracking encounter.

Manager Aidy Boothroyd took over the hotseat at Northampton after failure at Colchester and Coventry. He had began his managerial career at Watford and guided them into the Premier League in 2006. Six years on and he is ploughing a furrow at Northampton, i bet he didn't see that coming 6 years ago the poor thing! I like him though, seems a good bloke and he's from Yorkshire. He has the job of trying to resurrect the fortunes of the club who have been in the doldrums for many years.

He has brought in quite a few loanees to cover for injuries to David Artell and John Johnson. Swindon Town right-back Chris Smith has been added until January and veteran defender Clark Carlisle rejoined from York City ( and was sent off v Oxford. Well done that man! ). Another defender Danny East has come in from Hull and midfielder Emyr Hughes has arrived from Manchester City. Boothroyd tried to get Balotelli but with no joy. Boothy has had to call on some of his youth team to also help cover an injury crisis with 16 year old Ivan Toney becoming the youngest ever player to feature for Northampton in their FA Cup 1st round replay against Bradford. Lewis Hornby has also impressed after deciding to not continue in the family business of manufacturing model railways. 8/

Northampton have some seasoned pro's in their ranks including strikers Clive Platt, Alex Nicholls and defenders Kelvin Langmead and Anthony Charles and they also have a player who i think has totally destroyed his career and who could have been something special, Ishmel Demontagnac. On his day he is unplayable but for whatever reason he hasn't done the business at most clubs he's been at showing brief glimpses of real quality but nothing consistent. Also in their ranks is former Gull loanee and striker Jake Robinson who had a fairly successful spell with us a few seasons back helping us to the play off final. He has been largely ignored by Boothroyd but has recently been included in the side.

Last time out the Cobblers were beaten 3-2 at home by Cheltenham after being 2 nil up after just 14 minutes. Former Gull Chris Zebroski scored in that one too.

The line up was:

1. Lee Nicholls (gk) ( on loan from Wigan Athletic )
2. Joe Widdowson
3. Kelvin Langmead
4. Ben Tozer
5. Clark Carlisle
6. Ishmel Demontagnac
7. Ben Harding
8. Chris Hackett
9. Lewis Hornby
10. Emyr Hughes ( on loan from Manchester City )
11. Adebayo Akinfenwa

SUBS: Dean Snedker (gk) UNUSED, Anthony Charles UNUSED, Danny East ( on loan from Hull City ) ( on for Widdowson on 81 mins ), Clive Platt ( on for Hornby on 64 mins ), Henoc Mukendi ( on loan from Liverpool ) UNUSED, Jake Robinson ( on for Demontagnac on 63 mins ), Louis Moult UNUSED.

Sorry for the boring content this time round, i'm sure many of you will appreciate the normality though. I'm 95% certain of making this game my first home game of the season, i just need to scrape a few more quid together and hope the car keeps on working and the weather stays ok and i'm coming down to annoy the f*ck out of everyone! :devil: I'm not really. I hope to meet up with Dave ( forevertufc) and a few others if possible ( i'll give you a ring Dave when i get down there and am on my way to the game ) and then i can impose on Bengull and his old man by standing with them on the pop for the game ( hope you don't mind fellas, i'm looking forward to that Devonshire hospitality and enjoying a sing song ). :-D :scarf:

I've got my ticket already anyway so Plainmoor here i come!!!!

I reckon this game has all the hallmarks of a cracker and goals look a formality; however, i'm going so it will be 0-0 or we'll lose. Hope not though and i'm going for a 3-2 Torquay victory and i don't care who scores!

I'll add the match officials details at some point this week but we should be ok unless it's Darren Deadman, Darren Drysdale or Danny McDermid. They all have holes where their eyes should be! :red:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Great stuff Andy. A game that means a lot to me when I go to see the In Laws. I will be taking some 20 pound notes with me to wave around whenever Akinfenwa gets near to me, in the hope that the smell of the money (he has a great sense of smell for cash) will put him off. I look forward to some happy ribbing of the fat one when he falls over.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Perfect preview Andy..!

I know much depends upon the availability of players, injuries, suspensions, etc., but I just hope that we can get away from what now seems to be our traditional 5-3-1-1 formation which is too defensive and use our speedy players down the wings to become much more an attacking force, both home and away. 4-3-3, or even 4-2-4 on occasion. 5-3-1-1 or 5-3-2, only on the comparatively rare occasions when we have to..

It will need the right players with the right game plan and good passing abilities, but whenever possible, put out an attacking team and take the game to the opposition; they won't know what hit 'em.. :-D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Gullscorer wrote:Perfect preview Andy..!
I know much depends upon the availability of players, injuries, suspensions, etc., but I just hope that we can get away from what now seems to be our traditional 5-3-1-1 formation which is too defensive and use our speedy players down the wings to become much more an attacking force, both home and away. 4-3-3, or even 4-2-4 on occasion. 5-3-1-1 or 5-3-2, only on the comparatively rare occasions when we have to..

It will need the right players with the right game plan and good passing abilities, but whenever possible, put out an attacking team and take the game to the opposition; they won't know what hit 'em.. :-D

I take it you don't like my 'eccentric' ones then Mick? :'(

:lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Gullscorer wrote:Or do you mean egocentric..?? :lol:

:lol:

To be honest Mick, having a big ego is definately NOT a trait i am well known for. In fact quite the opposite, i have a very low opinion of myself and like to live a low key life although when it comes to singing on the terraces for the mighty Gulls ( i'll be on the pop for this game and i'm nearly pooing myself with anticipation :Z ) i put all my confidence issues to the back of my head and let the singing commence! Away we go!!! COYY!! :scarf: :scarf: :-D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Don't know if i've mentioned this before but I'M F*CKING GOING TO THIS GAME!!!!!!!!! Whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED, AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT! I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW I WANT TO ( go to Plainmoor for this game ). I could get evicted tomorrow and i just woudn't care, i could get attacked in the street by an escaped Polar Bear, i could get gout and hobble about but i'm going to Plainmoor so there!!!! :na:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Is there any danger of this game succumbing to the elements and being called off? Up here it has been about minus 5 overnight and freezing ice and fog but i understand down there it has been rainy with plenty more forecast. I'm driving down tomorrow so obviously would like to know. Cheers!

Also, does anyone actually HAVE any opinions on this game as there has only been a handful of posts since sunday and i've made half of 'em! :@

Also, the ref for the game is Mr Chris Sarginson who, looking back on the games i've been to in the past, i've seen referee us twice. On both ocasions i remember him having a poor game. He reffed our opening day draw at Fleetwood and also our FA Cup defeat to Sheffield United last season. He has only reffed 15 games this season yet has dished out 35 yellows and 4 reds. :'( NOTE TO MARTIN LING - LEAVE AARON OUT FOR THIS ONE! :lol: His assistants are Mr Andrew Turner ( who coincidentally has the same name as my uncle who lives in Belgium ) and Mr Adam Hopkins who i think some of you ( Nick, Yellow) know through reffing in the area. Apparently he's a good bloke. The fourth official is Mr Kevin Johnson.

Please take a quiet moment at some point during Saturday to pause for thought and offer your deepest condolencies to both Orient and Scunny fans as they are being reffed by Darren Deadman. A moment of reflection and relief that it's them and not us is required. I can't find my other 'favourites' MR DRYSDALE and MR McDERMID on the list, they most probably have been struck off for being total lesbians. Blind lesbians too!

Also, Northampton striker ADEBAYO AKINFENWA has been awarded league 2 player of the month. Great timing as that means he'll have a shocker tomorrow as the curse continues.

Also, i believe ISHMEL DEMONTAGNAC is suspended for this game due to an accumulation of yellows.

Also, i've just enjoyed a nice warmed up tin of mackerel fillets in spicy tommy sauce. Fish is the best! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Also,
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I shall be attending this one, I have a referee free saturday and my free tickets have arrived! :engflag:
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

What's the weather like in the bay? It's awful in Exeter.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

It's got that way up here in Chesterfield too. Freezing fog and black ice early this morning to heavy prolonged rain, howling winds and it's the Mayan prophecy come true! :lol:

Seriously though, is there any doubt about this game being on?
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

It has been raining pretty much all day in Torquay, although the strong wind has died down. I am concerned about the pitch because the side closest to Bristows Bench last saturday ( the youth team played on it ) was basically just wet mud and the groundsman must be up against it.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Great preview as usual Andy, thanks.

Weather here at 03.30hrs is not so good, appears to have been raining during the night but for the moment has stopped. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Going for a 2-0 victory with Rene and Manse on the scoresheet (ever the optimist!).

COYY!! :scarf:
TUST No 278
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I bet any of you a tenner that this game gets called off when i'm near Exeter! I'm setting off soon for the 5 hour drive down to Plainmoor and it would be just my luck to have this game postponed. My only other planned trip to Plainmoor this season went for a Burton as i became ill whilst down there on holiday and so missed the Aldershot comeback. :'(

Message to GOD: Leave it out with the rain will ya, can't you wait until i'm back at home on sunday and then let them have it with both barrels mate? Go on, i'll by you a pint when i get up into heaven. :-D You know it makes sense.