cheltenham town v torquay united - 14/2/2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

cheltenham town v torquay united - 14/2/2012

Post by bixieupnorth »

100% record for me in starting these threads, 2/2 so far!!

not got the time or the knowhow to do the impressive write ups that have become a feature of these threads, but that seem to have disappeared recently

a tough call tonight and i would definately settle for a draw before kick off
still keeping the faith
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Come on you mighty gulls! Massive game, would be a huge 3 points that would go a long way towards promotion! Gutted I cant be there, make some noise all you travelling gulls!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'm as excited as a pig in poop about tonight. I haven't been to a match since Shrewsbury away. I won't have seen the other half all day since he left before I woke up and I'll be gone before he gets back so Crappy Valentines Day to him! Erm I have nothing informative or sensible to add so I'd best get back to baking. Whoo!
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

This game is SO tight its going to come down to a mistake or bit of magic to split us. I cant help but think with the form Stevens is on he could be the person to do it. If we can win there and swindon beat crawley at we would go above them......how nice would that be, maybe bodin will do us a favour lol
BernardB
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BernardB »

We have everything going for us tonight - we're the side in form with a fantastic recent record, our substitutes have come good, a not-too-tiring journey, and we often do very well at Cheltenham.

Therefore I fully expect us to get hammered!

I am of course hoping (and indeed praying) to be proved wrong.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

1 each for me, O'kane to get the goal.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's not going to be a tight game, but we're definitely not going to get hammered. We have what is currently the strongest defence in this division. I can't see Cheltenham scoring, but our goals can come from anywhere in the team. The Gulls are surfing a massive wave of form and self-confidence. Cheltenham's supporters are very nervous about this game; their team has been showing signs of cracking under the strain. The run we're on is not going to end just yet, and the Gulls are due a big win. I have a feeling this could be it.

The St. Valentine's Day massacre: Cheltenham 0 Torquay 5 :scarf:
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Gullscorer wrote:It's not going to be a tight game, but we're definitely not going to get hammered. We have what is currently the strongest defence in this division. I can't see Cheltenham scoring, but our goals can come from anywhere in the team. The Gulls are surfing a massive wave of form and self-confidence. Cheltenham's supporters are very nervous about this game; their team has been showing signs of cracking under the strain. The run we're on is not going to end just yet, and the Gulls are due a big win. I have a feeling this could be it.

The St. Valentine's Day massacre: Cheltenham 0 Torquay 5 :scarf:

wow someone got some love this morning. :~D
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Now Gullscorers said that I fully expect a 9-0 hammering.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

So excited for this game. Travelling down from Birmingham this afternoon and meeting up with my Dad who's coming from Dorset, our first away game together since OT.

Mate of mine from uni is a Cheltenham fan and he reckons the game is ours, they've been poor recently. I'm going for a 2-1 win for us, Ellis and Mansell with the goals.

COYY
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'd quite happily take a point tonight. Both teams are on great form and although our record at Cheltenham is quite good, 1-1 would suit me just fine.

Will be listening over GullsPlayer so let's hear you Yellow Army tonight. UP THE GULLS!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

In the First half we will ask them a lot of questions. Second half will be different, they will ask us a lot of questions....

Agree with GS, we will win by a good margin. This will be our Wycombe away game!

Danny for a hatful

3-0 gulls
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

Really looking forward to this one, and I would happily take a point, but if we play as well as Saturday then the 3 points are there for the taking. We played well here last season, 2 up if memory serves right and then pegged back at thee death!! We are better defensively than then so lets hope no repeat.

A couple of final preps to do before heading out to pick up the kids and then make my way to Cheltenham!

See you all there!

COYY :scarf:
I live for matchdays!!!!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I do remember a couple of seasons ago when Danny Stevens was on a hat trick, got awarded a penalty and the ball was taken away from him by Wroe, for him not to score it any way. That night it was all Danny, he tore the defence apart and spread the defence out by playing very wide. I am expecting the same from him tonight (although I may not have said that at the begining of the season). It seems the whole team have uped their game and playing superb individual football but also passing and moving brilliantly as a team.

I am not going to predict a score, because when ever I do we have a crap game and I wonder why I even bother, but I would be disappointed if we don't get any points from tonight.

Looking back at Cheltenham's last few games they seem to be on a bad run of form since Tottenham..... however Rovers beat them with the new team and manager who seem to have found their form at last, a beating by creapy crawley but they are a strong force at home and a draw at Hereford, even though they are the bottom end, any team at home always have a bit of on edge so a draw isn't a shock.

Tonight could be the game they need to flow back into form, and I have a feeling we are not going to know what has hit us if we play badly in the first half like we did with D&R and Northampton.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

We're in form and they are not. They are top and we're not. Both teams would be delighted with a draw so it has all the makings of a 0-0 for me which i'll be over the moon with anyway.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.