Howe Injury

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcfans
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan!

Howe Injury

Post by tufcfans »

Rene Howe is a doubt for the game on Saturday.
http://www.torquayunited.com/page/Injur ... 45,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bit concerned that we might not have enough fire power upfront now and with our defence inevitably weaker, I'm not so optimistic about beating Shrewsbury now. However, it will be once again, a chance for Taiwo!
Torquay United Online Newspaper (Torquay United Fans Daily) http://www.paper.li/TUFCFANS/1309719474 and other online newspapers here: http://paper.li/~/publisher/674697#
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

People said this when Howe was suspended for four games...We didnt lose a game Atieno played in.
tufcfans
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan!

Post by tufcfans »

I can't argue with that, and I'm still quite confident of getting a result. However, much of our success in recent games has been due to our defence and the chances are that it won't be as solid as before. It's not that I think Saah isn't capable, but the centre-back pairing hasn't had time to mould yet in a game situation so probably won't be as solid.
I just don't feel Taiwo has the ability to score as many goals as Howe if given the opportunity but he does work incredibly hard and is no bad player to have in the starting XI.
Torquay United Online Newspaper (Torquay United Fans Daily) http://www.paper.li/TUFCFANS/1309719474 and other online newspapers here: http://paper.li/~/publisher/674697#
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

This Rene v Tai argument has been done to death by myself and others when Rene was out for the games over Xmas. We all know that Rene scores goals and Tai doesn't and we are a more potent force going forward with Rene in the side. That said we were unbeaten in those four games as Alex says although that can be largely attributed to the way our defence has performed in both keeping tight and cropping up with vital goals. If Rene is out for saturday then it's no big deal although it does mean dependance on goals from other sources once again IMO.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

That's one thing that disadvantages our opponents. They don't know from where in our team the goals are going to come from.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Agree with Andy, the goals will come whether we have Rene or Atieno.
I am curious to see the impact of Robertson out of the defensive unit - have a hunch that this could hurt us for a couple of games.
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Wisconsin_gull wrote:Agree with Andy, the goals will come whether we have Rene or Atieno.
I am curious to see the impact of Robertson out of the defensive unit - have a hunch that this could hurt us for a couple of games.

Yes WG, i'd actually forgotten that Robbo had left! :-/ Maybe we shouldn't be relying on the defence too much now! I hope Saah can fit straight in again and get his confidence back.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

AlexGulls wrote:People said this when Howe was suspended for four games...We didnt lose a game Atieno played in.
I've never been mauled by a bear while wearing my lucky blue hat. Is that because of the hat?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Are bears known for eating minnows?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

I really don't care who scores the goals for us. If Atieno is the mastermind behind a goal I am just as pleased as if he scored the goal himself :)

A bit like Torres in Chelsea I guess :)

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

ferrarilover wrote: I've never been mauled by a bear while wearing my lucky blue hat. Is that because of the hat?

Matt.
Clearly not. Merely stating last time we lost Howe for a certain amount of games we were all worried about how we we would cope without him. And Atieno came in and proved the doubters wrong (myself included) and was part of the team currently unbeaten in 2012 so I dont really see it weakening us as Atieno has proved in the past on his day he can do a job at this level.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Certainly the prospect of losing Rene for a game or two is not viewed with the sense of foreboding it was last time around.
Early in the season,judging him on his substitute appearances, Atieno looked a little slow in movement & thought. Maybe it's a confidence thing but as soon as he was in the starting eleven due to Rene's suspension Tai seemed to acquire a vastly superior first touch along with a noticeably greater spring in his step.

Rene would be my first choice, but Tai is a more than adequate replacement & certainly worked incredibly hard for the team over the Christmas/New Year period. If fit & available most of us would have selected Howe, Robertson & Bodin on Saturday. The loss of all three surely means we will field a weaker team against Shrewsbury than if they were still all fit & available. We'll compensate as best we can, but we should remember than it may well be three very good players missing from our line up & expectations levels should be adjusted accordingly.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I wonder if there is a certain amount of mind games going here, taking into account the importance of the match, and what happened up there place with Howe.

However if ti is the case and Howe is not fit, then I agree with all the above sentiment Atieno cam in and did a fantastic job during Howe's 4 match ban, and I am confident he will do it again if called opon.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

AlexGulls wrote: Clearly not. Merely stating last time we lost Howe for a certain amount of games we were all worried about how we we would cope without him. And Atieno came in and proved the doubters wrong (myself included) and was part of the team currently unbeaten in 2012 so I dont really see it weakening us as Atieno has proved in the past on his day he can do a job at this level.
Plus I don't think Rene had his best games against Daggers and Northampton, seemed a bit off the pace, in my mind.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yeah thats the worry Nick. I didn't go to those games but from accounts Rene looked out of sorts and not his usual self. Although i clamoured for Rene to be brought back in favour of Tai upon his return from suspension, if he doesn't start justifying his starting berth then i would have to bite the bullet and recommend Tai comes back in which would go against all i've been saying about him this season. I don't care who gets them but goals need to be flowing from one of our forwards regularly and soon.