Torquay United v Truro City (Boxing Day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Torquay United v Truro City (Boxing Day)

Post by Midlandgull »

So Truro City at home, before we play them away at home again!

League form going into this game:

TUFC = W, W, W, W, W, W

Truro City = D, W, W, W, L, W

Truro started the season terribly but as you can see their form has improved. I don't think they will be a pushover at all plus they're more rested with recent postponements.

Score predictions?

I'll go Torquay 2-1 Truro with a bumper crowd of 2945

Depressing fact, in 2006 they were in tier 10 of English football (Western League division 1) and maybe lower than that before. In 2004/5 we were in tier 3! We now meet in tier 6 - how times change. However, with the recent form and optimism, we can get ourselves up the leagues again!

COYY :scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Hopefully 3000+. We will respect them like every other team, but this Torquay team is now playing at a different level under the Johnson stewardship, 4-1 Torquay
Lucy
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

All we can do is hope that this team continue to realise how good they are for this level. In my opinion, there is only one other team that can stop us winning this league. Unfortunately, their d*cking of The Circus yesterday proved that they are serious title contenders and all we can do is keep winning and hope they don't (easy this football lark isn't it!).

Home to Truro... two very important games against the knuckle draggers from Kernow coming up... the first of which will see a crowd in excess of 3k (with an away contingent hopefully getting into double figures) and a humiliating drubbing for our friends from abroad (I'll plump for 5-0... like I said before, easy this football lark!).

Then we can look forward to our highest ever away following on NYD.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

We could do with stretching our lead over Woking in the next 3 by a couple of points, then by another 3 by beating Slough on the 5th as Woking won't be playing in the league until 19thJan due to cup games , they will have 3 games in hand then but if we can be 7 points ahead it will be more comfortable
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Despite recent home games against St Albans, Concorde and Welling all being in or around the playoffs, all sides performances were nothing special. Concorde and Welling also would have set off about seven in morning and that showed with their slow startz. Truro wont have that and they will certainly raise their game against us. They may even x eak a draw in one but we do have Cameron back after missing yesterday
PaulR
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PaulR »

I have a feeling that the team and fans of Manchester City had a similar feeling about their games scoreline prior to the match against Crystal Palace yesterday!
(Bah humbug etc)...:)
http://www.rockettrides.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

This will be a tough game being alocal derby and Truro are a good side a big crowd will motivate them.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I do not like over confidence. It almost guarantees a fall
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Mr Johnson's knows the potential pit falls & will drum it into the lads, Complacency is the no' 1 threat to our ambitions for this season,
Talk about "been there, seen it, done it, got the T shirt" who else would you want in the hot seat at this present time other than our Gary J ?
The 2 teams that will be miles ahead come prize giving time are the 2 that were relegated last year, there is a huge gulf in class between TUFC, WFC & everyone else in this league & I feel it'll come down to who holds their nerve the best.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

arcadia wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 09:52 This will be a tough game being alocal derby and Truro are a good side a big crowd will motivate them.
The thing that makes derbies tough and unpredictable games is the passionate backing from both home and away supporters. This won't be the case against Truro as they will only have a mini bus full of fans.

Not suggesting it will be a walk in the park for us, just pointing out that this isn't really a derby.

Plus how can you know a big crowd will motivate them? They are used to Plainmoor being empty when they play so who knows how they will react to a totally different environment?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

arcadia wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 09:52 This will be a tough game being alocal derby and Truro are a good side a big crowd will motivate them.
I agree, in fact the crowd may not motivate us. Why do I state that? Over the years, Plainmoor holiday crowds have always contained a very large proportion of watchers rather than cheerers. Don't get me wrong, they are more than welcome back to the fold and the tills will be rattling but, sometimes, the hard core few on a February Tuesday evening can be more vociferous and partisan.

That's got the baa humbug bit out of the way and actually I really do wish for a bumper crowd. I see no reason why there shouldn't be well over 3,000 as we managed almost 2,500 the other week.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just a few points about Boxing Day.

United are in Top Form. Truro have only played 2 games since 24th November! Big advantage to us.

First 11 League games in AUG/Sept Truro lost 7 and won just one game conceding 25.

Since 1st October played 8, won 4, drawn 2, lost 2 and conceded 13. Big improvement.

In 19 games they have kept only 2 clean sheets. We have best defence in the League.

If conditions are tough, which they will be, our superior fitness and Pitch Time will be very important.

I am going for 4-1 win..
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

desperado wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 08:18 We could do with stretching our lead over Woking in the next 3 by a couple of points, then by another 3 by beating Slough on the 5th as Woking won't be playing in the league until 19thJan due to cup games , they will have 3 games in hand then but if we can be 7 points ahead it will be more comfortable
We may not be top of the league when we kick off on Boxing Day.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gateman49 wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 13:06 We may not be top of the league when we kick off on Boxing Day.
Er, why?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 16:31 Er, why?
Woking’s game against Hampton kicks off at 1pm.