FA Cup 1st Round Draw - Sunday 27th Oct

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

wivelgull wrote:I think the 'loss of magic of the FA Cup' has a lot to do with Premiership propaganda. Emphasising the 'magic' of the FA Cup (which I endorse) would (in the Premiership's view) lessen the status of their business (for that is what it is). Consequently, it is not in the Premiership's interest to place any value on the FA Cup and, indeed, it is in their interest to belittle it. Contributors may very well have noticed that the diminishing of the status of the FA Cup coincides with the rise of the Premiership.
One ought to state an interest here: I loathe the Premiership, for its greed, its excessive Capitalism, its role in the undermining of the national team as well as the FA Cup and League Cup, for its support and dependence upon ancillary activities (Sky TV, repellent advertising etc).
Also, I might argue that there is a generational problem here, i.e. in that those who grew up with the Premiership and (possibly) blindly accepted its propaganda (why shouldn't they?) go along with that propaganda without considering the alternative.
No, the FA Cup IS exciting, magical, glorious. Anyone here who was at the 1965 Spurs match will corroborate that statement.
Stuff the Premiership!
Oh Wivel. You sound so much like me. I totally totally agree with every word every sylable you uttered.
And yes I did see the Spurs game. oh for days like that again. the young uns havn't a clue about what it felt to see 20,000 in Plainmoor
We have our own bit of Cup magic in town now. Tiny Tiny little Shortwood are having a brilliant cup run having beaten Aldershot on their own patch. It reminded me so much of last years Yate V Newport game. or even such past games Involving Blyth SPartans who had to play their home cup match at St James park in front of 42,000 in an evening game against Wrexham in the 5th round. or Hereford United neuter Newcastle United. Or indeed the Faous Yeovil cup clash with Arsenal.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Does anyone know if any of our four loanees will be eligible to play against Rochdale - i.e. has permission been granted by their parent clubs?
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

tomogull wrote:Does anyone know if any of our four loanees will be eligible to play against Rochdale - i.e. has permission been granted by their parent clubs?
Pretty certain all four will be eligible. O'Connor and Azeez are confirmed here in this article in the Herald ..

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

I cannot imagine that Leicester or West Ham would have refused permission for young McCourt or McCallum either, particularly given the short term nature of their deals and the fact that they are hardly likely to be needed by their parent clubs.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes the Fa Cup just isn't what it used to be. There was a certain "magic" about the Cup - it was always exciting.
Can remember a game many, many years ago - I think it was an FA Cup game (but not 100% sure to be honest) we were playing Lincoln City at Plainmoor and were 0-3 down. We had a player on loan Chris Barnard - he came off the subs bench scored a hat trick and we won 4-3.
Or the day the great Cyril Knowles side played Bristol City away. On the drive up the Bristol radio commentators were discussing who they would get in the next round.
That side was probably the best away side we have ever had - we were gritty,uncompromising and never gave anything away cheaply.
The game ended with Dave Caldwell winning it for us in the dying minutes with the only goal of the game. he got on the end of a cross with a diving header - the ball was six inches off the ground at the time. What a player he was. Great memories.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

2nd January 1971 Brucie ( just looked it up ). Plenty of room in The Ministand after half-time because a lot of 'supporters' went home, tearing up their matchtickets. Wonderful celebrations ensued, & you needed your match ticket to get your ticket for the next round ! Attendance that day :8147 when the match started !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Both the games that Brucie mentions were wonderful. I went to both, but the Bristol City game was very special. I think it was 1987. City fans just assumed they would win and we won the tie with a first class goal. Great to humble such arrogance.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thanks for the dates. Blimey I was 13 for the first game and 30 for the second one. Its actually quite frightening to think that Bristol City game was 25 years ago, it doesn't seem that long ago.
The Lincoln game must have been a third round match then - 8000 the crowd.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Does anyone know if this is all ticket? I'm a season ticket holder living in Taunton and obviously don't want to have to buy online and get them posted or drive to Torquay if I can either pay on the gate or buy them on the day. Normally would buy them at the previous game but no time to do this for this one?
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No, not all ticket.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

CP Gull wrote: Pretty certain all four will be eligible. O'Connor and Azeez are confirmed here in this article in the Herald ..

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

I cannot imagine that Leicester or West Ham would have refused permission for young McCourt or McCallum either, particularly given the short term nature of their deals and the fact that they are hardly likely to be needed by their parent clubs.
Thanks CP. The four of them certainly seem to have resuscitated our season so it will be good to have them available for Saturday.