FA Cup 1st Round Draw - Sunday 27th Oct

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

GazTheGull wrote: Ties to be played on 9 and 10 November 2013

So almost certainly, the 9th.
Yes - the 9th, Can't imagine ITV or BT Sport going for this one. They seem to like the non-league at home to league club ones for TV. Shortwood (if they get through) v Port Vale taps into the cup romance.

Is it just me, or do people not really care about the cup any more, other than a potential revenue raiser?

It is often said that the 'magic of the cup' has diminished somewhat. The assumption being that is true for big clubs. But is it the same for small clubs.

As a child, I loved the FA Cup. The games meant more to me than league games. But for a long time now - probably the last 20 years or so, it no longer is something I really care about. When I was younger, I just wanted a cup run for the glory and excitement of it. Now it's just for the money.

It may well be that spell from around 92 onwards when we lost to non-league clubs for about 5 years running or something silly, that lessened my love of the cup, or just the fact that nobody really seems bothered any longer and it is just something non-league clubs look forward too.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

The FA Cup is brilliant until about Round 4 then it just becomes Man Utd v West Brom and Swansea v West Ham in front of 11,000.

As for us it's a crap draw, a game we'll probably lose although it is at least at home.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You'll find I call him Tongue every time, it's one of those joke things that some among you seem to have such a hard time grasping.

I post, predominantly, from my phone, which uses a system called Swype. It's great, makes typing much faster, but does lead to occasional 'gilt v guilt' errors.

Regardless, a minor typo is easily dismissed, "could of" is the sign of something much more troubling.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I think the 'loss of magic of the FA Cup' has a lot to do with Premiership propaganda. Emphasising the 'magic' of the FA Cup (which I endorse) would (in the Premiership's view) lessen the status of their business (for that is what it is). Consequently, it is not in the Premiership's interest to place any value on the FA Cup and, indeed, it is in their interest to belittle it. Contributors may very well have noticed that the diminishing of the status of the FA Cup coincides with the rise of the Premiership.
One ought to state an interest here: I loathe the Premiership, for its greed, its excessive Capitalism, its role in the undermining of the national team as well as the FA Cup and League Cup, for its support and dependence upon ancillary activities (Sky TV, repellent advertising etc).
Also, I might argue that there is a generational problem here, i.e. in that those who grew up with the Premiership and (possibly) blindly accepted its propaganda (why shouldn't they?) go along with that propaganda without considering the alternative.
No, the FA Cup IS exciting, magical, glorious. Anyone here who was at the 1965 Spurs match will corroborate that statement.
Stuff the Premiership!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Thanks to both Gaz and Hector.

Matt.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

wivelgull wrote:I think the 'loss of magic of the FA Cup' has a lot to do with Premiership propaganda. Emphasising the 'magic' of the FA Cup (which I endorse) would (in the Premiership's view) lessen the status of their business (for that is what it is). Consequently, it is not in the Premiership's interest to place any value on the FA Cup and, indeed, it is in their interest to belittle it. Contributors may very well have noticed that the diminishing of the status of the FA Cup coincides with the rise of the Premiership.
One ought to state an interest here: I loathe the Premiership, for its greed, its excessive Capitalism, its role in the undermining of the national team as well as the FA Cup and League Cup, for its support and dependence upon ancillary activities (Sky TV, repellent advertising etc).
Also, I might argue that there is a generational problem here, i.e. in that those who grew up with the Premiership and (possibly) blindly accepted its propaganda (why shouldn't they?) go along with that propaganda without considering the alternative.
No, the FA Cup IS exciting, magical, glorious. Anyone here who was at the 1965 Spurs match will corroborate that statement.
Stuff the Premiership!
Cracking post Wivel !
:bow: :bow: :bow:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

thought it was interesting that Worcerster City - featuring on-loan Torquay play Niall Thompson - would have a home draw against Argyle if the progress in the replay v Lincoln. That'd be good for them
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Pleased to see loan extensions for both Azeez and O'Connor and both available for this cup tie. Now only need to know if McCallum, if fit, can also be selected. Not so bothered about McCourt as Harding should be available.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Christ, Harding the better option; McCourt might as well fill out his Tesco application now, save time in the future.

Matt.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:You'll find I call him Tongue every time, it's one of those joke things that some among you seem to have such a hard time grasping. Matt.
Ahhhh - I get it !! Said with tonge in cheek !!?? (took me a couple of days to think of that ..... don't think it was worth it !) :P :P :P
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

And now I'm disappointed that I missed it! Damn this thread!

Matt.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Good to see lowered prices. But why do we s/t holders have to present voucher B?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Because you have to present something, and the match tickets are all accounted for (obviously).

Matt.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

brooker wrote:Good to see lowered prices. But why do we s/t holders have to present voucher B?
I imagine this only applies to those who want to sit in their usual seat, you won't need a ticket for the pop.
123gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Mamadou Sow

Post by 123gull »

A very dull draw for us. I can't see us getting through it either. Always hope the cup brings us a new ground and a trip to somewhere bizarre. Good to see the price reduced though. Sure Rochdale won't bring many fans, can see the away end being closed for this one.