Jarvis

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Richinns wrote:
Yeah - was just a little joke! No one really thinks that.
I know - but some people may have started to believe it :-D

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

richinns.....i have attended every game this season home and away and i do not take part in any form of player bashing and feel very insulted that you have suggested that i may have . i don't think that you were joking in your comments about my alleged impersonation of andy although i have to say that i do agree with most of what andy posts and like andy want billy to come good but am just fed up with reading endless excuses when other underperforming players are ready for the scrapheap :-/ :-/
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

novicegull - I don't know if you've been wearing ear plugs at games, but listening on GullsPlayer the groans and boos exclusively when Bodin misses a shot or misplaces a pass are so clear and audible, as are the insults from the stands and cheers/jeers when he has been substituted when I've been in attendance. In what way has he been immune to critcism or have people shown him 'leniency'?!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Chris,

I think he is talking about this site rather than at the ground.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

novicegull wrote:richinns.....i have attended every game this season home and away and i do not take part in any form of player bashing and feel very insulted that you have suggested that i may have . i don't think that you were joking in your comments about my alleged impersonation of andy although i have to say that i do agree with most of what andy posts and like andy want billy to come good but am just fed up with reading endless excuses when other underperforming players are ready for the scrapheap :-/ :-/
Really? I think it is quite clear that it was a joke personally.

Good on you for your support then - there are, however, many Plainmoor morons and I apologise if I suggested you are one.
It really gripes with me when a (has to be said more than minimal) percentage of the crowd pick a target and (unless a Messi like performance is given) attack them for everything and anything then can possible think of. Does not help the indivdual or the team.
Your post about Billy was very much of that ilk but I fully accept this is the place to air your views and if you do not show the player bashing at games then that is fair enough.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

richinns i am sure there are other players who have read negative comments on this forum and from the crowd and feel very deflated as i am sure billy does.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

I'm sure Billy Bodin and all concerned at the club would rather criticism was reserved for him online than at the ground, but ok.

The simple point is Billy Bodin is 20 years old with fewer than 50 club career appearances and he's in his first full season at Torquay, whereas Danny Stevens is 26 years old into his sixth campaign, having made 200+ appearances for us. I could continue by offering the statistics for more of our experienced players who haven't peformed at their best in 2012/13 (Nicholson, Mansell etc), but surely it isn't *that* difficult to understand why people are calling for patience with Bodin?

Jarvis is a hard-working, selfless player who's very good at retaining/recycling possession, and is capable of popping up with the odd goal, by the way! Looking at him and his inability to effectively complete 90mins even pre-injury, I'm not entirely convinced he's only 26, though!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Chris B wrote:I'm sure Billy Bodin and all concerned at the club would rather criticism was reserved for him online than at the ground, but ok.

The simple point is Billy Bodin is 20 years old with fewer than 50 club career appearances and he's in his first full season at Torquay, whereas Danny Stevens is 26 years old into his sixth campaign, having made 200+ appearances for us. I could continue by offering the statistics for more of our experienced players who haven't peformed at their best in 2012/13 (Nicholson, Mansell etc), but surely it isn't *that* difficult to understand why people are calling for patience with Bodin?

Jarvis is a hard-working, selfless player who's very good at retaining/recycling possession, and is capable of popping up with the odd goal, by the way! Looking at him and his inability to effectively complete 90mins even pre-injury, I'm not entirely convinced he's only 26, though!
Very well put Chris. Well done you!

novicegull - the difference between a forum and at the game is on here Billy does not have the view inflicted upon him whereas at games it is. Have you ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy? We need to lift the atmosphere at home games as currently the morons are making far easier for the away team.
TUST member 328
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

i am pretty certain that billy will read this forum and his criticisms but so will many other of the players who get slagged off all the time !!! that is my whole point
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

novicegull wrote:i am pretty certain that billy will read this forum and his criticisms but so will many other of the players who get slagged off all the time !!! that is my whole point
do we know if the players or anyone from the club reads this forum.
it seems to me these days football clubs or professional footballers especially couldnt give a $h!t what the fans think. :-/
even when so many have opinions and ideas that should be staring the club in the face nothing ever seems to be taken any notice of or addressed.
if anyone from the club does read this forum then surely that makes things worse. :@

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

do we know if the players or anyone from the club reads this forum.
it seems to me these days football clubs or professional footballers especially couldnt give a $h!t what the fans think. :-/
even when so many have opinions and ideas that should be staring the club in the face nothing ever seems to be taken any notice of or addressed.
if anyone from the club does read this forum then surely that makes things worse. :@

:scarf:[/quote]

Yes they do. O'Kane did, Kevin Hill did and I am sure others do.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Its choice though. Not inflicted upon them.

Hopefully if Bill does read this forum he will know some of us still have big hopes for him. He will come good - I have no doubt.
TUST member 328
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

i seem to remember in a programme not too long ago that lee mansell did a feature about football forums and when he was at luton ( i think ) his confidence was destroyed by the comments he read. i am sure he said that when it involved his family he took it further.
i would imagine that the players do read these forums and i only hope that it makes them more determined to prove themselves rather than destroy their confidence
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes the club do every bit read this forum, that is not an opinion it is indeed fact, in fact it has been known for threads from this site to be printed off and disscussed at the club, and we do have a member of the clubs staff on the site, Mr A.Candy who has been very helpful to many fans with concerns and problems.

I have been lucky enough to meet a few ex-pros and not just Torquay player either, that is one question I have asked them all , and the common answer is if you let fans opinions drag you down your in the wrong job, that said I do think it depends on the player, some will be able to brush criticism heck of lot easier than others, positive support inside the ground is vital, however each and all are wasting their breath appealing for it, not matter what you say there will allways be a few in the crowd who think it is right, even funny have shout something at a player.

I do not see anything wrong with expressing an opinion on this or any forum as to whether an individual player is player well enough, or even good enough, it comes back to the old "sticks and stones" thing, there are fine margins in football, players and managers alike know you can go from hero to zero very fast, just the nature of the game.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

We do all seem to agree that the midfield is the main problem, we just have no-one as the spare man who is always available and confident to control and to spread the ball - perhaps it is time to abandon the 4-4-1-1 approach and have an anchor man in midfield. Against Fleetwood it became a 4-2-4, with the 2 midfielders having too much work to do, especially when Fleetwood changed to 4-5-1 to consolidate their lead early in the second half which we did not respond to.
Why can our management not also see that playing Nathan Craig out wide makes him ineffective, that lobbing high balls up to Ryan Jarvis was not going to work even though he tried his damnedness, that crosses to or beyond the far post were not working as we have no-one who will head a goal from open play; our best chances were created by playing on the deck. It was encouraging to see Billy Bodin playing with more determination and enthousiasm, to see everyone working hard, but we lost momentum in the second half and played long balls again.
Why do we never attack the near post? - Ryan Jarvis scored twice there against Yoevil and is the only striker who looks to go for a near post ball - just a pity that hardly any of his team-mates seem to be on the same wavelength except Danny Stevens.
Although we hit the bar in the last minute from beyond the far post, every corner kick had gone to the same place - too much height, no pace on the ball, curling away from goal - we expect too much of our headers from 12 yards out - so let's try some variety...
Final observation, Michael Poke is a fine stopper, but he really should have come to deal with the cross for Fleetwood's goal - a high floating cross from the touchline aimed at the biggest guy on the field - but he was rooted.