The Euro 2012 Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

What do you guys think of this England?

Personally I would have liked us to be a tad more expansive in our play against the 'weaker' sides. Like, tonight I think it might have suited us to let the game open out. We have to have faith in our forward line to score more goals than them! Our attack is better than theirs, so let's play to our strength?

I'm not trying to be overly critical of Roy's methods, as I know it must read like. Being honest, I didn't expect us to qualify from this group, let alone top it! So Roy is obviously doing something right, and I think his system might be better suited to these big games where we can't be expected to keep the ball for long periods. Instead, we soak up pressure and try to grab a goal from a set-piece.

COME ON ENGLAND!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

As a neutral England have been efficient but in a different way to the Germans. They have been fortunate but simply aren't good enough. They could still win the thing if luck holds out, they get the breaks and they stick to a gameplan ala Greece. I'm not ruling it out however if you sit back and absorb against the Spanish, Portuguese or Germans then it's game over IMO. At some point there has to be some ambition and sustained pressure applied to the opposition because against the French and Ukrainians if you'd have conceded first i would have struggled to see where England were gonna score. Despite what i think of the England team, Terry ****, Cole ****, Rooney ****, Carroll ****, Gerrard being world class aside and Milner being a decent honest pro which i respect, i want Roy Hodgson to do well as i think he's a real decent bloke who deserves some success.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Gullscorer wrote:An England v Germany final..!! :-D
Can't happen - will play either them or Greece in the semis (if the Italians are cast aside)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Can't happen - will play either them or Greece in the semis (if the Italians are cast aside)
You're right. I misread the tables. So we play Spain in the final, then? If...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/eur ... s-schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

What does everyone think, about counting down the seconds before kick off at the Euros? Personally I think its a really good idea and would happily see it here. Is there anything else people would bring to plainmoor from the euros?
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

united09 wrote:What does everyone think, about counting down the seconds before kick off at the Euros?
Absolutely not!! It's the kind of thing you do with nursery kids. Football doesn't need tacky gimmicks like that.
Is there anything else people would bring to plainmoor from the euros?
Ronaldo, Torres, Gomes, ......
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

England are doing a feckin Greece!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

austrianandygull wrote:England are doing a feckin Greece!

Austria are doing a Feckin Scotland
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

We were taught a footballing lesson tonight. 20 minutes of good football won't win you a game.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yet another below par performance from those overpaid, prima donnas who milk it in the Premier League and turn out for our country. Embarrassing.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Ah but the key aspect is that Austria perfectly emulate the Scots in not qualifying for major tournaments and just being generally shit but the English try to play like Greece but don't emulate their success because they aren't as good as that Greek side. Once again it is a case of England struggling to beat shite ( Sweden, Ukraine ) but getting through then coming up against a genuine top 10 country and going home. Deja vu anyone?
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

codswallop. I am for the first time in a long while quite proud of the boys. Ok the performance against Italy was not the best but there is alot more togetherness than we have seen for a while. We had a new manger a month before the tournament players getting injured. I think we have a good foundation for the world cup.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed USA-M , that was the worst preperation England have had in a run up to a major tournament, with the change of manager , who had a month to make his plans and then change them over and over again with a number of injuries that racked up.

Think we can be proud of making the q-final of the Euros when many inside and outside our country thought the team would not make it past the group stage, yes the best side won tonight, and had we gone and played like that aginst Germany who knows we may have got butrammed, so maybe Italy have saved us some pain, but you never know what might have happened.

I can't agree with you Andy, how on earth can anyone in their right mind say Greece has a better team than England, the greeks player for player are not fit to walk in our shoes, they got through on sheer luck and nothing else, and a nice little rule change.

And how can you say we struggled to beat rubbish, Ukraine were the host nation, allways going to be a hard match, and Sweden won against France, which was the first time in 22 matchs the French lost.

we have some young talented players coming through the future for us is very bright, but one thing Roy, please wake up to the fact that Milner is utter carp, please.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Dave, I think Andy was referring to the Greek team that won it 8 years ago.

As for last night, I had a horrible feeling it'd go all the way, and it did. I, like others, don't feel TOO bad about this as the preparation has been pretty bad for the tournament. However, now it is time for change. I think that was the last chance for Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry etc, it's time for the new group to come through. Gerrard has had a storming tournament to be fair to him, but he was outclassed by Pirlo last night. Cole has always been good in an England shirt, but he wasn't his best last night. I despise John Terry but to his credit he always turns up for our country. I think it's time to move on from this crop of overpaid underachievers though.

Rooney looked awful against Ukraine, he was just as bad last night. He's been on the front page of all the tabloids all week saying he'll fire us to glory - he talks the talk but can't walk the walk I'm afraid. He should have been subbed off for Carroll last night, not Welbeck.