Has O'Kane Gone Yet?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

He's a nice lad, but a professional that earns his living playing football.

He signs for a higher league, better paying scumbag( sorry club) and hopefully ups his income and his earning potential. Consider then that he might also suffer an injury (hopefully not) or a dip in form etc and so hanging on at Plainmoor for a better deal might never come about for him - he might have had his best season (again hopefully not) and so he has to take his chance when it arrives.

I would - you don't have to love your employer, just do your best by them, earn your wages and in the process hopefully move onwards and upwards.

In the emotive sense, I'm appalled that he would even consider going there but being a supporter means that I can ignore all logic and just shout like an idiot whilst wearing a stupid hat......
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

I can`t believe what I`m reading on ALL sites by some people at the moment, it`s no wonder players get disillusioned! The common thing that players say is that people are always nice as pie to their face and then stab them in the back through a keyboard or at the pub later on. What`s that about? Maybe it`s the behaviour of some of our fans that don`t help these situations!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think Eunan O'Kane seems like a decent lad and he has been a wonderful player for us. It has been great to see him develop from that rather scrawny bit part player into the most talented midfielder in the division.

However, I really do think he is making a mistake to go to Crawley. Going there is embarrassing. I'm sure he has hoped for a big move and hoped a bigger club would be watching him, so surely he'd be embarrassed if he was texting his mates to say he had got his big dream move to....Crawley Town!!!

I guess the attraction is money. They might be League 1 but then it could so easily have been us...it is not as if they walked the league. So it can only be money because the way they scraped promotion suggests a season of struggle in League 1, the same way we would likely have struggled.

If his advisers are suggesting he go to Crawley it is a quick fix to make a quick buck...it is not a move to further his career because that club will implode and be back in League 2/non-league. Swindon would have been a much better move.

Whilst I have given up on seeing O'Kane in yellow next year (well, our yellow), I really hope he gets the move he deserves. Going to Crawley smacks of desperation because surely if he goes there he will be looking to have to move again in a year or so.

Furthermore, watch him go to Crawley and see them cash in on a player WE developed. They will probably sell him in a year for a million or something silly, while we nurse our £175k.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Aussie wrote:I can`t believe what I`m reading on ALL sites by some people at the moment, it`s no wonder players get disillusioned! The common thing that players say is that people are always nice as pie to their face and then stab them in the back through a keyboard or at the pub later on. What`s that about? Maybe it`s the behaviour of some of our fans that don`t help these situations!
Thats my point above Aussie, not having a go at Eunan , however any player at any club should not take to heart anything said on a fans forum, and are foolish to do so, read through fans forums of just about every club you will find the same happens, its not just Torquay fans.

I spoke directly to Branno about what was written on Shrewsburys forum prior to our play-off match last season, his reply was, thanks but I could not give a f... what is written about me, thats how all players should view the net.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

TorquayFans.com has just tweeted 'Eunan O'Kane has signed for Crawley'??
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

yeah, someone posted it on Facebook too, but not seen it officially anywhere yet.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Does anyone know who controls the TorquayFans.com twitter and facebook account?
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Does not seem to be finalised yet according to this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18521424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TUST member 328
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Richinns wrote:Does anyone know who controls the TorquayFans.com twitter and facebook account?

I am an admin for the Facebook and Twitter account (like a couple others) only because Louis asked for someone to help and I was happy to oblige. However I am not a regular poster on Facebook and Twitter with the TorquayFans.com accounts, I think its Y4L or Louis who controls them the most.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

A move to Crawley (or anywhere) would mean £ for his agent, of course. There are good and bad agents so I hope Eunan has chosen his agent wisely for the sake of his own career. I honestly feel that the best career choice for Eunan would be to stay with the Gulls for another season. If he is still with us next season there is the distinct chance of a Championship club making an offer possibly halfway through the season, which would be a better move for all concerned, rather than to a club which may have just won promotion but may well also be, as a club and as a team, facing League One mediocrity.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 20 Jun 2012, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I only posted a few days ago that there is a reported bid, not that he has signed.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I have now deleted that tweet, it was not me who posted it however.

I am a regular poster of facebook.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

.... all but gone now it seems... :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18531671?

I cannot imagine the wages would prove a problem for them. EOK must be the only player over the last few years who hasn't joined them purely for the money!!! :devil:

Best of luck Eunan and thanks for the memories, in particular the Plymouth goals, sweet!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Link is broken but info below:

Torquay United manager Martin Ling says midfielder Eunan O'Kane is to discuss personal terms on a move to Crawley.

The 21-year-old Ireland Under-21 international met Crawley boss Sean O'Driscoll earlier this week and looks set to agree a move.

"He's met the football club and talked about everything but money," Ling said.

"Now he's going back to meet them to talk about money, so obviously the football club's sold itself to him that it's the right club for his career."

And Ling says that O'Kane's approach to the deal shows what sort of a player Crawley look set to sign, in a deal reportedly worth around £175,000.

"Most players would talk money first, football club second.

"Eunan O'Kane, and his agent to be fair to him, have gone football club first and money second.

"He's one of the sensible boys because the grass is not always greener on the other side," he added to BBC Sport.

O'Kane, who joined the Gulls from Northern Irish side Coleraine in January 2010, was one of four Torquay players to make last season's League Two team of the season and has played 122 times for the club, scoring 14 goals.

He will be the second high-profile departure from Plainmoor after goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik left for Peterborough earlier this week for a reported £300,000.
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

You will be missed Eunan - all the best.
TUST member 328