skybet next manager odds

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

PhilGull wrote:Bruce Rioch has not managed since being sacked by Aalborg BK in the Danish Superliga in 2008, a job he held for just four months. I really do not think he is the answer.
I would much prefer him than Hargreaves, perhaps the dizzying heights of top tier Danish football were just a bridge too far for him, I think he would do a wonderful job down in the English Riviera.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

That would be Aalborg who he got into the Champions League Group Stage though, no mean feat! My only concern with Rioch would be how in-tune is he with the modern, lower league English game. Thats why someone like Hargreaves alongside him would be the dream ticket.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

How in tune do you need to be. "OI NICHO LAUNCH IT UP FIELD, DON'T BOTHER AIMING OR ANYTHING!!" seems to do the trick most of the time.
Popside_Josh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Popside_Josh »

as a huge torquay fan and season ticket holder i would love to see hargreaves come back, he was such a leader and a massive influenece on the boys.
aswell as this my family and i are brentford fans aswell, i manged to get to their games against the scum and plymouth and once forster came in all of the brentford players said they had much more freedom and as a result played a lot better football and got better results.

i think forster would fit in very well here as he likes to get the ball down and play aswell as this he has experience and personally i felt he did a brilliant job in west london. would love to see him as the new boss possibly with hargreaves next to him as number 2.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

I really don't think it is necessary to refer to Exeter City as "the scum". I do hate it when football fans call their nearest rivals offensive names simply because they are near them. What have Exeter City ever done to you might I ask?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I totally agree Stoke_Gull.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Come now Stokie, you're being a mite touchy there. A little gently name calling does no harm. Near neighbours in football always have a fierce rivalry, that's one of those things which exists simply because it is as good a thing to have a rivalry over as anything else.

So, to stop this thread going off topic: Bring back Lubos, that's what I say...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

I see your point Matt and I agree that a bit of light hearted name calling is fine but I wouldn't want to be called "scum" by a rival supporter. Mind you I have heard worse. :'(

By the way I agree completely with your suggestion for the new manager. :-D
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Popside_Josh wrote:as a huge torquay fan and season ticket holder i would love to see hargreaves come back, he was such a leader and a massive influenece on the boys.
aswell as this my family and i are brentford fans aswell, i manged to get to their games against the scum and plymouth and once forster came in all of the brentford players said they had much more freedom and as a result played a lot better football and got better results.

i think forster would fit in very well here as he likes to get the ball down and play aswell as this he has experience and personally i felt he did a brilliant job in west london. would love to see him as the new boss possibly with hargreaves next to him as number 2.
Josh...while Hargreaves was a great character and player for us in our non-league days, this simply does not make him management material. As a captain and player he was, as you put it 'a massive influence on the boys'...and he was indeed 'one of the boys'...you could see that in the way he was larking around with the likes of Mansell and Nicholson and they with him, in the pre-match film for the Stevenage game on sky.

My worries about appointing CH are:
1) He has no experience
2) The only coaching he has done has been this season with an U16 team
3) He is too matey with some of the players
4) He is a bit of a TQY legend and this will be tarnished by him coming here as manager because it will not work out.

CH seems a very decent bloke but he should not be our next manager and a coaching team of Forster and Hargreaves would just be too inexperienced. We need a bit of nous and guile in our next manager because quite often the season after a play-off final is a bit of a hangover year and it needs someone with tremendous strength of mind to do this. CH is just too friendly with the players to do this.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Utterly bizarre and of course it won't happen but Paul Trollope is 33/1 for the Fulham job.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

In point of fact, Stokie, I too abhor "scum", I refer to ECFC as "the filth", which may seem like much of a muchness, but, to my mind, it is much less aggressive. I don't do it in polite company, you understand, only on the terraces and in the privacy of my own home.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Right, I'm putting the CH thing to bed.

Do you want Lee Hodges? No, didn't think so. Well, he has experience, he is older than CH, equally as experienced in football (if not more so), yet none of us pine for him to return because he was not a fans favourite.

People of a certain vintage hanker after a Lamborghini Diablo VT more than they desire oxygen to breathe, yet,in almost every single way, a Ford Cortina from the same year was a better car. It's the romantic notion that we all want, the fairytale, and sadly, that is so unlikely as to be impossible.

Forget CH, he was a great player for us and rightly remembered fondly for lifting the trophy at Wembley among other things, but this does not make him a good choice of manager.

Matt.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:Come now Stokie, you're being a mite touchy there. A little gently name calling does no harm. Near neighbours in football always have a fierce rivalry, that's one of those things which exists simply because it is as good a thing to have a rivalry over as anything else.

So, to stop this thread going off topic: Bring back Lubos, that's what I say...

Matt.
Oh yes..Lubos...phew,when i first read this i thought you wanted to lube the new manager...Vas!!!
Formerly known as forevertufc
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

much as i would like to be put out of my misery (not literally) and be told who our new manager will be, we have to accept the appointing of a new manager these days is somewhat more critical than it used to be years ago. i'm not saying it's any more or less important, but what i'm referring to is instant success.

i was thinking last night about the chopping and changing that goes on these days in the managerial circles, and how rare it is for a manager to see out a season these days. Usually this is due to poor results, but there is also very little loyalty left in the game (and honesty). Was after reading about Mark Hughes last night, i could see parallels with our own ex-manager. All this "i've not spoken to any other club", "there's no deal in place" - they must be quotes from the modern managers handbook.

some may say this is more of an issue at a higher level, but it's not.

but i wonder how many man ure fans were baying for the blood of one Sir Alex when he went the first "x" number of years winning sweet FA, while watching liverpool win everything. if that was today, he wouldn't have lasted the first season.

so whilst the ambitions of our club are very different to those of Man Utd for example, the pressure on the manager is relative, and that pressure is on the board now, to make the right decision.

honestly, i don't know who i want the job to go to - but i know a few names on the list who i definitely don't want. i don't know enough about any of the candidates to make an informed choice, but it's got to be someone who is going to come in and build on what's there, but not try to fix anything that isn't broken. as someone posted earlier, for each option, you'll find people for and against it.

so, whatever happens, lets get behind the new guy from day one, and give him and the players all the support they need. it's going to be a tough season.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:Right, I'm putting the CH thing to bed.

Do you want Lee Hodges? No, didn't think so. Well, he has experience, he is older than CH, equally as experienced in football (if not more so), yet none of us pine for him to return because he was not a fans favourite.

People of a certain vintage hanker after a Lamborghini Diablo VT more than they desire oxygen to breathe, yet,in almost every single way, a Ford Cortina from the same year was a better car. It's the romantic notion that we all want, the fairytale, and sadly, that is so unlikely as to be impossible.

Forget CH, he was a great player for us and rightly remembered fondly for lifting the trophy at Wembley among other things, but this does not make him a good choice of manager.

Matt.

Spot on. Assistant maybe but definetly not manager.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/