Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

DevonBee wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 16:59 Cannot ask for anymore than that. Building up nicely and seemingly on schedule. Good result - under the guidance of a good manager..
:)
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

Great result and team looking good. Agree we need another forward, can’t be caught short like last season need to learn by our mistakes. Assume it will be a loan at this stage
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Fantastic display, total commitment, some nice football and played the conditions much better than City.
We looked a side that has had time to gel and develop, City looked the opposite. If City continue to play out from the back, they'll get battered this coming season.

If we can maintain that form at home, and get results away on those pitched, then we will take some stopping. Hopefully we'll stay injury free, although I felt all the players today looked the part and fitted into our style. Mcgavin got stuck in, which was great to see.

Exeter are just an unpleasant club. Celebrating getting the score back to 4-1. 🤔 Nice to see Kev Nico back as well.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Hopefully we hit the ground running! We have a settled squad and it’s showing.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Sorry but I think I may be getting bit carried away. 😅
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A very enjoyable afternoon, many positives to take although sweeney getting sent off made things somewhat easier for us, I am still not convinced about a back three, Exeter played two wingers who hugged the touchline and our wingbacks had to work a lot harder than they would have done with a back four, we are not relying on Jarvis for our goals although that is the second match in a row when I thought he contributed little to the outcome, noticeable drop off in intensity second half when lapslie was subbed but there seems to be a very positive attitude amongst this team that wasnt present last season.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Does anyone know what the situation with Dawson is?

I thought he was a major influence in our end of season from last year. Any sign of him in training or watching from the sidelines of our games? Is he injured?
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Nice result that, and plenty of entertainment along the way, it's exactly what we pay at the turnstile for.

Exeter must be wondering what hit them.

The only poor moment was the young lad at the end slipping over when in possession leading to the penalty. Hope he bounces back from that.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Good result today, although I very much look at it as a fitness exercise, the result dosen't mean to much other than a bit of a morale boost, but it's a win...Dawson is a worry, think we can all cast our minds back to when and how he came to the club, he wasn't really playing that much at Gloucester, he looks a decent NL standard of player, but I sense he's only a 25-30 games a season type, I don't know he track record with injuries, but it maybe why other NL have swerved him, that's not knocking him by the way, he looks decent, but not sure if the reason he's with us is because he's injury prone, and they've taken their toll.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Decent performance, keep putting these in when it matters and we might be alright!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I noticed they didn't show the sending off incident on the highlights - wonder why ?!
I wasn't there but did anyone get a good view of it ? Lapslie runs a fine line often, I'm a fan of his play but not his, how shall I put it ....
over zealous tackling and mouthing off at the ref. Expecting several yellows and a few reds for him next season .
Gull in black
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I was there. It was a ‘Tom challenge’, full- blooded - worthy of a Yellow but no more.
Sweeney had been getting some stick from the Popside which might have played a part in his reaction- obvious Red.
Their manager has lost some credibility with his comments about a physical game. He would have been wiser to have talked about gaining fitness, learning about the squad and reinforcing his earlier comments about working on their defence. They lost and we’re poor.
The ref was certainly favouring them after their manager had a go on the touch line.
Great performance from us, hope we can still play our game when we come is against NLS opposition. Thinking about a trip to Dover !
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Judging by their Managers comments , seems they 'didn't like it up em'!!!
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

It's not about not liking it up 'em as you call it, it's a pre season game, the clues in the title, 9/10 both managers agree to not go in full blooded and to hold off a bit, steaming in and running around like a fruitcake in a pre season game dosen't impress me to be honest with you, last season we beat Exeter and look at what happened there, I take this result with a colossal pinch of salt, means little. .Injuries in pre season or causing them, what's the point? I don't get it .
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I get it.
Gary is breeding a winning mentality in this squad and we will play like that every game. No let up.
Last season Argyle walked through us 5-0 and I was worried.
This season we held a Championship team 1-1 and outplayed City from minute one 4 goals to 1.
Last season we scraped a 1-0 win.
Pre season should mean nothing but it does give some clear clues and I do get that this squad is together and will only get better and better.