Players Under Contract

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am surprised Jarvis is still with us, as others have said in the past contracts mean nothing, money means everything, Johnson is just giving the club line, i.e. come up with our valuation and he is yours, we cannot operate any other way.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We’ve seen a lot of players leave the club recently only for it to do more harm than good in their career advancement. After his first and only good goalscoring season it may be better long term for Jarvis to stay for another year, bag 20-25+ next season and then move on if we fail to get promoted.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

I do agree with your sentiments however his contract runs out next summer , another good season and he leaves for nothing.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

culmstockgull wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 13:31 I do agree with your sentiments however his contract runs out next summer , another good season and he leaves for nothing.
Players come and go, that's just the nature of the beast.... but if we can get a good season out of Jarvis and win promotion back to the NL it'll be worth not getting anything for him when he finally leaves.

Fail to win promotion and most of this squad will be gone one way or another anyway.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

culmstockgull wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 13:31 I do agree with your sentiments however his contract runs out next summer , another good season and he leaves for nothing.
You’d rather we play this season without our best player? 😂 I’d prefer keeping our best chance of getting out of this division…
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

if he scores 40 goals and gets us promoted, he can go with my best wishes. We're not in the position where we can afford to let our better players just leave. Is there a striker available to us that would be as good as Jarvis? No.

If it was up to me I'd have approached him this summer with a slightly improved contract with an additional year and said "if we don't go up this season, we'll let you go for a fee of...£X, no fighting from us". that way, he's getting paid a bit more, he has the security of another year with the promise of being allowed to further his career elsewhere, and we keep outr 'star' player for what is sure to be a critical season.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AdrianC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

That’s a very sensible approach, offer him a little bit more without him feeling he’s being too tied down.

Hopefully he has another good season with us wants to stay having been a major contributor in a promotion season!
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

No way in the world Jarvis will get anywhere near 40 goals this coming season, he's had 1 decent season so far in his career, is he a decent player at this level?, yes, but nobody is Indispensable, esp Aaron Jarvis, after 15 games last season people didn't even want him at the club!, I think fans are getting carried away with this.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 16:59 No way in the world Jarvis will get anywhere near 40 goals this coming season, he's had 1 decent season so far in his career, is he a decent player at this level?, yes, but nobody is Indispensable, esp Aaron Jarvis, after 15 games last season people didn't even want him at the club!, I think fans are getting carried away with this.
he's demonstrated that, given the service (which he wasn't getting early in the season) he's a very capable NL striker.

Of course nobody is indispensable but at this stage - 5 weeks before the start of the new season, and a half-decent squad retained squad that was built mostly on the assumption that Jarvis would be the main man - Jarvis leaving would be a massive blow to our chances. it's highly doubtful we could convince anybody anywhere near as effective to come down here.

40 goals is a massive number at any level of football but I could certainly see him approaching 30. The fact that he's only had one decent (that is, relatively prolific) season is probably why we'll keep hold of him. Whatever you think of Johnson, you can't deny that he's given Jarvis a second chance at a career after years of showing ability but not actually scoring that many.

"after 15 games last season people didn't even want him at the club" - yes, and those people were idiots. It was apparent to anybody with half a brain that he's a good player who was badly let down by the clown parade around him. These are probably the same people who booed Armani Little when he was carrying the club, or thought Kyle Cameron should have stuck to being a bricklayer.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

looks like Jarvis isn't going to Eastleigh - they've just signed Scott Quigley from Stockport. (they're splashing some cash, bleddy hell)

gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Will Jenkins Davies signs on loan from Argyle.
The gulls are going up
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

If this lad from plymouth turns out half as good as randell they we have acquired a gem, yet again another torquay born player.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

gullno4 wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 16:32 Will Jenkins Davies signs on loan from Argyle.
Ex Torquay Grammar School boy. Another local youngster who had to go else where to develop his career.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

What's his style of play?

We're in need of someone who can get behind and put crosses in, imho
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene