Managers press conference today

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
longfordgull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by longfordgull »

A lot of the talk here when Osborne took over was how his plan was to run the club into the ground, take us part-time make his money and clear off. It certainly seemed to be happening and Gary Owers was the man to do it. Relegation and then hovering at the bottom end of NLS. Probably the worst period in all my years following Torquay. Yet suddenly Owers was out Johnson was in, we stormed the league and missed promotion to League 3 by a whisker. Johnson might have inherited some decent players from Owers but Jamie Reid couldn't hit a barn door until Johnson came along. Our better players have taken the opportunity to move on and you can't blame them for that but for whatever reason Johnson hasn't been able to replace them. Last year was very ordinary and this year has been truly awful with a stack of players obviously not up to NL standard and that is clearly down to Johnson and his team. I don't think Johnson is a bad manager but by Christmas it was obvious we were only going one way. I do think sometimes they stay too long at a club and I definitely think it was time to say thanks very much for some great times but now you should go. That's not going to happen so I guess we just have to wait to see which players we can hang on to and if he can find a few decent NLS level players to get us straight back up.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

One thing that will be interesting is the big question, who'll be with us next season, I can't believe Jarvis and Halstead will stay on, probably not Nouble, ALL loanees will return, that leaves us with still some decent players,Hall,Dawson,Moxey,Martin and Lovett, but as for the rest, no thanks, they need to go now.. I'm also beginning to sense GJ is on an ego trip, think he wants to hammer Hungerford, Tonbridge, and Chippenham and tell us how great he is, I'm not buying into that..The reality is we are a 6th tier regional football side, who've got an owner who's intentions seem mysterious, no communication out of the club, full of old pals acts and hangers on, We should of used this time to move forward with a change, but it's just typical TUFC isn't it?.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 11:51 One thing that will be interesting is the big question, who'll be with us next season, I can't believe Jarvis and Halstead will stay on, probably not Nouble, ALL loanees will return, that leaves us with still some decent players,Hall,Dawson,Moxey,Martin and Lovett, but as for the rest, no thanks, they need to go now.. I'm also beginning to sense GJ is on an ego trip, think he wants to hammer Hungerford, Tonbridge, and Chippenham and tell us how great he is, I'm not buying into that..The reality is we are a 6th tier regional football side, who've got an owner who's intentions seem mysterious, no communication out of the club, full of old pals acts and hangers on, We should of used this time to move forward with a change, but it's just typical TUFC isn't it?.
Based on what people in the know have said, the core players will all be staying including Jarvis unless someone is willing to generously compensate us for him. Nouble and the loanees will be going, they are looking at Collins again for next season if he doesn't get into Newports squad and they'll look to make Dawson a permanent signing
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

GJ might and I say might be able to persuade players like Dawson to sign BUT can anybody see Frank Nouble signing again or Aaron Jarvis or Tom Lapslie ? Can we really get anything more from Asa & Deano ?? That's why I would support a fresh start but lets face it with Edwards and Osborn in charge there was never ever going to be a change as those two wouldn't have a fecking clue who to appoint anyway. That is the very sad truth of it all, So we are left with a management duo who live in Bristol / Cheltenham who get picked up on the way to away games. Doesn't that show commitment !! Nepotism with a chief scout who doesn't scout and more than likely makes player judgements on agents videos rather than investigating exactly what they can or cant do ! Hence we end up with Hanson, Crowe. McGavin, Omar, Marshall, Mensah ( Who ??? !!!). How many loan players something like 20 ? One really great one with Nico Lawrence but JEEZ with have suffered some crap !! A forward from Cardiff ..never played a game !! What was the point of that !! So much mismanagement but he gets to carry on and is rewarded with his FAILURE by keeping his job !! What a fecking shambles at little old cosy Torquay United !
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Well said Dutchgull, and some naive people thought the lad from Cardiff was coming down here with endorsements from GARETH BALE!!, embarrassing to say the least, we will end up with those names, all need to leave, even Donnellan who's had to many chances, not good enough, even for NLS.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

The signing of Dawson would be massive.
A midfield of him, Lapslie and a fit Hall would be certainly be good enough in the Nat South. Believe Jarvis is under contact and should score a hatful in that league, except I imagine knowing us we would take £20,000 if anyone offered it.
Ideal last season for Moxey next year. Won't be as easy as last time and opposition will all raise their game especially at Plainmoor.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Dutchgull wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 12:15 GJ might and I say might be able to persuade players like Dawson to sign BUT can anybody see Frank Nouble signing again or Aaron Jarvis or Tom Lapslie ? Can we really get anything more from Asa & Deano ?? That's why I would support a fresh start but lets face it with Edwards and Osborn in charge there was never ever going to be a change as those two wouldn't have a fecking clue who to appoint anyway. That is the very sad truth of it all, So we are left with a management duo who live in Bristol / Cheltenham who get picked up on the way to away games. Doesn't that show commitment !! Nepotism with a chief scout who doesn't scout and more than likely makes player judgements on agents videos rather than investigating exactly what they can or cant do ! Hence we end up with Hanson, Crowe. McGavin, Omar, Marshall, Mensah ( Who ??? !!!). How many loan players something like 20 ? One really great one with Nico Lawrence but JEEZ with have suffered some crap !! A forward from Cardiff ..never played a game !! What was the point of that !! So much mismanagement but he gets to carry on and is rewarded with his FAILURE by keeping his job !! What a fecking shambles at little old cosy Torquay United !
Jarvis doesn't need to sign again, since he has a contract. If we get a decent offer for him, though, who knows. I can see Lapslie signing if offered 2 years. Nouble is a weird one. He seemed to enjoy his time here and I've heard a few people say he expects to say, but as ever it's this rumour mill where nothing can be trusted.

Hall and Moxey have shown enough to suggest they could do a job for another year - especially down a division. Hall especially if written off entirely by January but he showed his value during our run in .

A lot of loans, but some good ones. Lawrence, obvs. But Dawson, Collins, Stobbs and - earlier - Will Goodwin - were pretty good. Fewer than the failures, of course; Da Silva, Ellis, Crole, Fadahunsi.

Oh, also, I think Evans got better the more season went on (especially after he recovered from the broken ribs) and he'll be a decent player in a division where he's allowed to play. Not with us, of course - he'll probably be on loan at a League 2 or 1 club next season.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Pure speculation but departures mentioned so far: Koszela, Moyse, Nouble, Halstead.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

brucie wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 18:45 Pure speculation but departures mentioned so far: Koszela, Moyse, Nouble, Halstead.
Halstead will be offered a contract but there is another keeper being looked at if he leaves, Moyse will be given a chance in pre season, Nouble and Koszela will most likely leave
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Brucie , do not doubt your inside sources but are you sure on moyse, his family did not mention anything
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Gary Johnson's refusal to take responsibility for his inadequacies is merely redolent of the country as a whole, where no entity - the government, Police, NHS etc. - accepts blame for their failures.

Contributors on this site basing their predictions for National League (South) on the final few matches of this campaign are, in my opinion, being unduly optimistic.

The capable loanees will, almost certainly, return to their parent clubs and remain there or move on to other National League sides.

The contracted players who put in a decent shift - Halstead (I apologise to him for my pre-season derision), Jarvis and Lapslie etc. will attract offers from the National League and above and who would blame them for increasing their earning potential and enhancing their careers.

You have to counter Hall and Moxey's experience and game management with the fact that neither are likely to feature in 46 games each next season.

If the recruitment in the last pre-season by Gary Johnson and his totally ineffectual brother is repeated then Torquay United is likely to spend a long time in National League (South).

Some may accuse me of undue pessimism. I consider it to be a realistic assessment of a club that has been totally mis-managed for the past 12 months.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

A good assessment Jim, and an opinion of which I agree…total mismanagement sums it up for the past 12 months.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

There’s absolutely no guarantee we’ll piss the league, there are a lot of competitive clubs in that division around London that could probably attract better players than us.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Oh no months of doom and gloom
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Interesting next week ahead. Let us see who Johnson is going to show the door. I am hopeful it will be a huge number of the ‘Marquees’