Gary Johnson, stick or twist? - As of 07/03/23

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Yes - keep him
29%
No - get rid
71%

Total votes: 45

UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Keen to hear from the 3 who think he should stay
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I'm not sure it makes much difference to the current season whether he stays or goes now, I don't believe anyone can dig this squad out of relegation. However someone new needs to be in now to start rebuilding the team next season.

The recruitment last season was wrong - you simply cannot build a team to compete at this level amongst cast offs from league clubs in their early 20s. You might get lucky with max one in six to ten and those players need to be alongside experienced players. Last season didn't work but there was still enough experience around to carry the team to midtable. This season was just a huge gamble to try and do it with 75% of the squad and its shown to be a shambles. It needed a mix of youth and experience, even if that experience was just middle of the road National League experience, enough to stay out of trouble and allow the chance for one or two of the young players to find their feet and show they have actual potential other than just nice technical ability from academy coaching.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

:goodpost:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

That's what makes you wonder what Edwards is thinking. Surely a new manager would need to see this lot play now and decide who to keep (not many) not appoint someone in June , he'd have no chance.
Do we know if Johnsons contract is up this summer? Or how many of this shower are on two year deals ? The whole thing is a disaster , so depressing.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Desperado you have A levels in common sense and logic, will it ever happen, I think it might because it certainly wont go down to the last game of the season to decide our fate , I reckon with six games to go bringing in someone new would be the practical thing to do or at least pay who ever they decide to take over to sit in the stands and get a fresh viewpoint on who to keep which will not be a big ask or a long list.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Do we honestly believe Edwards has a plan B in place ?
I sincerely hope so , but I very much doubt it.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

DevonBee wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 20:50 Do we honestly believe Edwards has a plan B in place ?
I sincerely hope so , but I very much doubt it.
There's barely a plan A at the moment, to expect a plan B from this shambles is a step to far. Unless of course you count producing crap on the pitch and alienating the fans off it, as a plan.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

SWgull wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 21:30 There's barely a plan A at the moment, to expect a plan B from this shambles is a step to far. Unless of course you count producing crap on the pitch and alienating the fans off it, as a plan.
Edwards has all the charisma of a dead duck. He pounces around on matchdays, not speaking to the supporters.....even if he is spoken to. Certainly has not got the first idea of PR and no chance of a plan B. He could not tell you what plan A was !
Talking to Sharron, she tells me that what he says goes, that is supported by others.
You can see that everyone at the Club are just "Yes men" (or women) when you hear the garbage post match interviews with Gary. Dom is a lovely guy but I cringe at his continual ar** licking - what a waste of time. If you have seen one interview, you have seen them all, NOTHING changes.

Oh for a Tony Boyce, or even a Mike Bateson or Alex Rowe, who you could engage with.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

SWgull wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 21:30 There's barely a plan A at the moment, to expect a plan B from this shambles is a step to far. Unless of course you count producing crap on the pitch and alienating the fans off it, as a plan.
Edwards’ Plan A is a 5% profits interest in whatever money making scheme GI are banking on.

For all we know Plan A is going perfectly.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I'm not a fan of GJ and believe he should of gone, but that was never going to happen, Don't get me wrong, he has been good for TUFC, but last season (end of) he should of gone, this season has been shocking, I still don't believe we all know the full story, everything outwardly seems a mess, in no real order, the signings,the loanees, no communication from top to bottom, on the pitch there's no identity, continual chopping and changing,tactics, formation and personel....I could go on....the budget this season must of been cut, we've got a bunch of players who hard as they try, aren't of the required level, I've no doubt they are honest pro's, some may prove me wrong, but right now, NL is a standard to high for them, that may change, but in a dogfight you need to be defensively sound, have experience and be streetwise...GJ, I actually feel sorry for him, no piss take or sarcasm at all, what he's achieved in the game, and managed internationally aswell, he shouldn't be standing in Solihull at 10pm on a cold Tues night rambling about our latest defeat, he should be retired and on a sun lounger somewhere, it's a shame it's come to this really, he's had to get cast offs, free agents, hit and miss loanees and it's not worked out, he knows it, he's not daft, nobody should take personal aim at him and slag the bloke off, have some class, I respect him, but it's a season to far, the trouble for me is what are GI/Osborne up to, is he another Chris Roberts in disguise?,
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

:goodpost:
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Whatever Clark Osborne is, he is definitely not Chris Roberts in disguise. Roberts was a charletan who tried to buy the club with no money. Osborne msy have got the club on the cheap but he has financed it, probably to the tune of £3 million and taken nothing out.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Mr Tea, while I agree with the majority of your posting, and no one should have to tolerate the abuse Johnosn got after the last home match, but I understand the frustration of the die hard fans who have been marginalized and ignored for the last two seasons who turn up week after week with their hard earned cash to see what, a team that has class, a team with obvious exceptions that tries, a manager and staff that make things happen, honest post match reflections of the game.
Can we blame the owner, not in my book, he gives johnson a budget and I am sure additional support when needed, he relies on an experienced manager to deal with all football matters, and this season he has not been up to the task, I still believe the money available would have been the same or similar to last season becuase if you believe what Johnson says that he has the full backing of the owner and that must include finance.This season we went for quantity over quality and retained expensive players who were past there best.
We have four players out on season loans who we are undoubtedly still paying at least part or all of their salaries, players we know that on past experience will be released with best wishes at the end of the season.
All this adds up to mismanagement on a grand scale,the owner does not pick the team or the tactics,this is a failure at the footballing level.Johnson has to own it, only then will his legacy in years to come be remembered with any degree of warmth.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Cheddargull, I hear what you are saying, the Roberts comparison maybe a bit unfair, but because of what's gone on with GI in Swindon, and all this talk about a new stadium, rightly or wrongly I get suspicious of non-local "businessmen" who wrap a Gulls scarf around their neck, and pretend to "love" the club, he wouldn't know Kevin Hill from Harry Hill would he?, I don't know the figures, but surely he's taking a wage out of the club, I could be wrong, and perhaps he is our "white knight" with only the fans interest's at heart, but I sense he's up to something, we don't want to end up like Bury, or years before, Maidstone,Chester, Aldershot and Halifax,all went bust, but re-formed..If it's to good to be true, it usually is, GI/Osborne-i have my doubts.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

culmstockgull wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 12:05 Mr Tea, while I agree with the majority of your posting, and no one should have to tolerate the abuse Johnosn got after the last home match, but I understand the frustration of the die hard fans who have been marginalized and ignored for the last two seasons who turn up week after week with their hard earned cash to see what, a team that has class, a team with obvious exceptions that tries, a manager and staff that make things happen, honest post match reflections of the game.
Can we blame the owner, not in my book, he gives johnson a budget and I am sure additional support when needed, he relies on an experienced manager to deal with all football matters, and this season he has not been up to the task, I still believe the money available would have been the same or similar to last season becuase if you believe what Johnson says that he has the full backing of the owner and that must include finance.This season we went for quantity over quality and retained expensive players who were past there best.
We have four players out on season loans who we are undoubtedly still paying at least part or all of their salaries, players we know that on past experience will be released with best wishes at the end of the season.
All this adds up to mismanagement on a grand scale,the owner does not pick the team or the tactics,this is a failure at the footballing level.Johnson has to own it, only then will his legacy in years to come be remembered with any degree of warmth.
Quick question, you think GJ was given the budget to replace Cameron, Nemane, CLE, Lewis, Armani, McDonald, Ben Wynter, Whitfield etc? My guess would be no, unless given the budget to hold players down for multiple years we face the same thing every year, we lose players to better sides and then have to bring in the players who have a 50/50 chance of being good enough, I imagine if we could've held the players down from last year and then got paid by those clubs we'd have had a budget to go and compete again.

Until the owner really throws money to a manager (I'm not suggesting GJ) to go and build a squad decent enough for the level then we can't blame managers for not bringing the best players