Will we stay up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

If anybody watched Match of the Day this week....Everton are the Torquay United of the Premier League and vice versa. On and off the pitch the issues are the same.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

North Curry House wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 21:23 Other than Aldershot, they have ALL been draws....... Not good enough, we have to improve. We will stay up by beating Wrexham in the last game at home.
TBH, I'm hoping we're safe (long) before that game......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Given our results from the first half of the season, it’s going to be a tough call. We are not going the win automatic promotion, we are not going to make the playoffs, we are unlikely to achieve mid-table status. So we will be in the lower half of the table. Question is how far down will we be? There look to be around 6 teams who could be fighting it out against relegation. A couple look doomed already. So we will need to ensure we get better results than those few teams around us. Failure to win games from now on narrows the chances of survival. Could we do it? Possibly, but it will not be easy! Time will tell.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Wolborough wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 12:18 Given our results from the first half of the season, it’s going to be a tough call. We are not going the win automatic promotion, we are not going to make the playoffs, we are unlikely to achieve mid-table status. So we will be in the lower half of the table. Question is how far down will we be? There look to be around 6 teams who could be fighting it out against relegation. A couple look doomed already. So we will need to ensure we get better results than those few teams around us. Failure to win games from now on narrows the chances of survival. Could we do it? Possibly, but it will not be easy! Time will tell.
The couple who look doomed only have 1 and 3 points fewer than us (granted having played more games). So I would not draw a line between them and us at this point.

Maidenhead appear to have built a little cushion between them and the drop group but then it is very close for the next few teams (7 teams within 4 points).

If we can close the gap on this bunch and drag a few more into the fight, our odds will improve no end. If we continue to fight amongst the bottom 5/6 teams to avoid the bottom 4, it will likely end in disaster.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

With Woking going so well I guess a point there would be good as long as we beat
Maidstone, if we don't beat them there really is no hope, they have conceded 3 goals a game - 40 goals in 14 away games !
After Woking we have 4 of the next 5 at home , trouble is we're abysmal at home,
bottom of the home form table with 12 points out of 39 and away we have scored a paltry 7 goals in 13 games.
I recall under Nicholson we were 10 points adrift at the beginning of February and escaped so it's still doable but don't think this team could pull back that sort of deficit.
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Dorking seem very willing to join the relegation fun. Dropping like a stone.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

So we are the Everton of the National League?

Well, that clears that up.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

toastkid wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 19:52 So we are the Everton of the National League?

If you watched Match of the Day as stated it would make sense. Clearly you didnt. We are going down like Everton due to disinterested owner, a manager that should have been sacked, no one to score goals, a leaking defence, poor tactics and formation.

Just to clear it up for you
masterspecs9262
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: Pop side

Post by masterspecs9262 »

toastkid wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 19:52 So we are the Everton of the National League?

Torquay will always be my club, but Everton are my premier league team. This statement is so sad but true
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 20:38 If you watched Match of the Day as stated it would make sense. Clearly you didnt. We are going down like Everton due to disinterested owner, a manager that should have been sacked, no one to score goals, a leaking defence, poor tactics and formation.

Just to clear it up for you
So much negativity. We have just signed 4 or 5 players in a couple of weeks who can't be worse than the tosh they are replacing. Scunthorpe are bottom and in turmoil on and off the pitch and along with Gateshead are doomed. I think Yeovil are also in deep trouble along with Maidstone and neither have strengthened their squads significantly. Add Dorking into the mix, none of these sides show little signs of improvement. Torquay on the other hand have a bunch of new signings and I think that with 20 games remaining, 8 wins, 2 draws and 10 defeats giving us 48 points will be more than enough to save us from relegation. I just can't see the sides that I've mentioned getting 48 points as they simply haven't strengthened their squads and we have.

PS Clarke Osborne for PM!!!!!!!!!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Simple answer NO
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I don't have a premier league side.

Our disinterested owner has been bank rolling us for several seasons now.

We are making signings.

I (and many) still have faith in our side and the manager.

To make comparisons between a non league side and a premier league side is nonsense.

By the way, I think that Dundee United are the South Devon Leagues Liverton. See? Nonsense.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

toastkid wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 06:07 I don't have a premier league side.

Our disinterested owner has been bank rolling us for several seasons now.

We are making signings.

I (and many) still have faith in our side and the manager.

To make comparisons between a non league side and a premier league side is nonsense.

By the way, I think that Dundee United are the South Devon Leagues Liverton. See? Nonsense.
Why is it nonsense to make comparisons? Despite the obvious differences, we are playing the same game and have the same aim (avoiding relegation).

Everton have a rich but uncaring owner who seemingly cares more about their new stadium than their league position.

Both teams are sleepwalking into relegation and are clinging on to an ever receding hope of redemption not because of anything good they are doing but merely because there happen to be 3/4 teams just as bad as them.

The main difference seems to be that the Everton fans expect better and are prepared to shout about it. Those few Torquay fans who dare to say anything against Johnson or uncle Clarke get pilloried.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

We aren't the Everton of the NL, crazy analagy to make, as for the signings, it's to early to say if they are any good, two haven't played for us yet, the lad from Swindon looks ok, and a win over Taunton isn't a major test... Maidstone have just got a new manager in, unlucky last min loss to Wrexham in his 1st game, big George Elokobi seems extremely popular and passionate, It's in the balance if we stay up for me, our home form is awful, I'd be surprised if we did stay up myself, we need to hit mid table form, and that's not realistic for me.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Can't compare as Everton have taken positive action in sacking Lampard