Transfer talk.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

knightmaregull wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 19:48 For some of Notts, Stockport, Wrexham etc etc it may pay dividends
The thing is - they can't *all* get promoted. This is the last season without a salary cap in the NL. If any of them don't get back into the football league this time around, they're screwed.

At least Stockport are bringing in players who can do well in the League. Notts County seem to have look at the Vanarama team of the week a few times and thought "i'll take him, and him".

Cameron was our 3rd best centre-half by season's end, and Nemane was good for 3 months - the only decent 3 months of his career to date. He's talented, but I'd expect that the contract that was offered to both of these players was in line with where they currently are in their careers. if Notts want to pay more than that, that's fine.

(Kyle Cameron clearly needs to grow up, though)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
bojllitse
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bojllitse »

A shame to see him go but the move makes sense for Aaron as he'll probably double his wages. At least the club will receive some money for him unlike for the others. Hopefully we can reinvest this sensibly into a few more incomings as we look especially short on the wings now.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

More sorry to see Whitfield go as Nemane - Whitfield had much more end product. I did like Nemane's work rate and he did show good improvement, but I think he's far from the finished article.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

knightmaregull wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 19:48 As has been said by others, the NL has gone mad with clubs spending sums that will for many risk their very future.

I for one am glad Torquay are not one of them. For some of Notts, Stockport, Wrexham etc etc it may pay dividends but it can't for all and I'd rather be watching professional football in 10 years time, even if it's conference.

Except we are one of them, we are being bailed out to the tune of £1 million a year by the owner. If and when he decides that is no longer tenable then we are back to where we where when Dave Philips has to salvage the club on playing budgets that would almost certainly guarantee relegation.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Fair point. We are also very exposed but, in the absence of either a rich altruistic chairman or some form of fan ownership, I guess we always will be? Could we run at a profit and survive in the NL these days?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

It's a fact that money out weighs loyalty. Two year deals on double wage is enough incentive for Nemane, Whitfield and Cameron to leave. I am not blaming them for my annoyance that they have gone to a league competitor. Nonetheless, credit to the club and management team for sourcing players that our competitors envy and want. The one thing watching transfers over the years is signing potentially good players does not guarantee you success - it just means three ex-Torquay players will be playing National League North football the season after next.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Time will tell - we did well enough without Nemane, Cameron and Whitfield last year so don’t see why we wouldn’t do the same next year. They’ll get paid more, our players will be hungrier for success - watch us finish above Stockport and Notts next season with King Gary in charge.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with the sentiments about this league getting tougher and tougher each season ,undoubtedly why there is a lot of talk about making the national a new league 3 under EFL management. The likes of Wrexham,Stockport and Notts Conty plus the two relegated sides seem to be paying top dollar and going all out for a return to the league, factually at least three of them will be disappointed.
I do not hold any ill will towards the likes of whitfield, Cameron or Nemane for trying to extract as much revenue as they can in a short career and as for loyalty that works both ways, clubs are far more ruthless in realising assets and is it any wonder than players adopt the same tactics, we seem to criticise nemane and whitfield for a injury prone season but the likes of davis and nelson were a drain on our resources for the whole season with zero contribution.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Some of the absolute tripe being spouted on players going elsewhere is laughable. Its their careeer, good luck to them. Funny that we can wish players well when we release them(Buse) but slag them off when they leave and dont say a nice good bye. Get over it.

I challenge anyone to say no to an increase in salary for doing the same job in a different company, or it suits your lifestyle better to move or 100 other reasons you might want to take a change in direction.

I was slightly underwhelmed by the magnificent 7 but if were anywhere near the playoffs itll be a good season.
TUST #324
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Absolutely right, knightmaregull.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

numpte wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 16:48 I challenge anyone to say no to an increase in salary for doing the same job in a different company, or it suits your lifestyle better to move or 100 other reasons you might want to take a change in direction.
Ok, let's go with this analogy.

I would not say no to a massively increased salary, in most cases. I would still (probably) want to know more about the direction the company is going, and how that could affect my career. It wouldnt only be about the money, although of course it'd be a very large part of it. I don't think we disagree there.

With that said, I would not then also encourage people to leave my old company in such a public way, and I definitely would not then go on social media afterwards and suggest that I was the one who got them to leave. That's bad manners in any industry, and would most likely damage my reputation just as I would not write an memo on my way out of the door saying how hard it is to leave, I've grown as a person etc etc, and then go to a direct rival.

It's obviously exactly the same, but I think Cameron has behaved pretty badly since the season ended. Nobody will ever begrudge a player moving on to bigger or better or more lucrative pastures, but there's for sure a good way to do it; this ain't it.

Although I'm a little stung at Whitfield leaving, I don't carry the same sort of ire because to my mind he has acted appropriately. Same with Covolan, who got a way better job. Not the case for Nemane and Cameron, money aside.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
lanzo
Trialist
Trialist

Post by lanzo »

numpte wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 16:48 Some of the absolute tripe being spouted on players going elsewhere is laughable. Its their careeer, good luck to them. Funny that we can wish players well when we release them(Buse) but slag them off when they leave and dont say a nice good bye. Get over it.

I challenge anyone to say no to an increase in salary for doing the same job in a different company, or it suits your lifestyle better to move or 100 other reasons you might want to take a change in direction.

I was slightly underwhelmed by the magnificent 7 but if were anywhere near the playoffs itll be a good season.
Totally agree, we discard players when it suits us with no regard or thought of what they will do, i imagine some of those players may struggle, but how dare a player leave us to better themselves..
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fact of life that players leave. I don't think that anyone begrudges players leaving to earn more money.

In fact a lot of supporters wished Cameron well when he left. Doesn't actually alter the fact that the messages that Cameron put on his twitter yesterday showed a complete lack of respect to the fans of his previous club that treated him well.

Either the bloke has a small pea for a brain or the move has gone to his head. Whatever, I reckon there are a fair few people that now hope he falls flat on his face.

Personally, if I was his new employer I wouldn't be greatly impressed either. I'd be wanting him to do his talking on the pitch, not putting unnecessary pressure on himself. Inevitably this sort of thing comes back to bite you on the arse sooner or later.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Has anyone considered that what Cameron put on his Twitter regards #agentcam was in jest, you know a bit of fun. Jesus, some people need to get a sense of humour.
Wardlow3048
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Wardlow3048 »

Why would the move have gone to his head, it’s the same league
He was just having a bit banter on Twitter, one of our own players tweeted him back and was hailed a hero.
He did get a lot of abuse from a lot of our supporters when he left and just took it on the chin, for god sake can we just let it go and concentrate on our own players and winning the league this season, Cameron’s history let’s look to the future.