29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Spot on and that will almost certainly cost us the title and sizeable cash windfall and probably promotion I still think it is a problem with scouting
tq1_18
Trialist
Trialist

Post by tq1_18 »

Nemane suffered a freak accident broken leg in the gym when doing rehab from his initial injury, hamstring was it? I can't remember.

I think it's win the league or bust for us this season. I think the teams in the play-offs (mainly Hartlepool and Stockport) have strengthened and have already somewhat accepted the play-offs is where they'll be so I can't see us going up through that route.

Having said that, we do still have an incredible chance of automatic! Weirdly I think the two strongest squads in the league now are Hartlepool and Stockport, but us and Sutton are ahead of them enough to make it a two horse race, and I still believe we're better than Sutton.

I'm backing us to win the league with lots of twists, turns and unpredictable results along the way. COYY
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So Nemane broke his leg - for **** sake how did he manage to do that. Its been a complete mystery that he has vanished, given that his hamstring injury did not look particularly bad. That's a cruel blow , he was having a fantastic season.

I would probably agree with your assessment but to stand any chance of the title we would probably have to win all three of our home games this week - and as things stand we are going to have to do that with possibly the weakest line up we have fielded all season. Normally you do get freak results but with no relegation a lot of the teams have either already given up or are so useless that a number of the fixtures are walkovers (and Sutton have a fair few of them to come)

We did suffer a drop in form mainly due to our injury problems but I'd say we have done fantastically well to grind out a number of wins in succession since then, so great credit must go to the players.

It has always been about getting our big hitters back for the run in, and there was real optimism after the Sutton win that we were going to be bolstered by some key players returning from injury.

In reality though that turned to dismay when the line up for the Woking fixture was announced - yes we won the game but honestly I would expect an even weaker line up for Notts County. Little, Cameron, Wright (no chance) Moxey - not exactly been quick to get over injuries. Andrews - looked in some discomfort to me. Kimpioka (he didn't last long) Whitfield (on a rehab course this week so clearly not fit)

I'd say we would need two decent loan players as a bare minimum at the moment but that looks unlikely.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And Hartlepool have now made a triple signing, one of the players being Francis-Angol from Boreham Wood. He looked pretty good when he came on as sub for them against us recently......
Gull in black
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

I was confident about winning the title after the Sutton game. But now feel we need a good loan striker for Saturday. Would also be good to get Ryan Law back if we can’t rely on Moxey being fit for the rest of the season. Perhaps Liam D is going to be back for the run-in.
Thanks for sharing the update on Nemane. I’m 100% behind GJ but really can’t understand we the club hadn’t given us that info.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I do feel it was a shame that Law was recalled by Plymouth as left back is always a problem position for us. He played the whole game for Plymouth in the week but they lost 6-0 and according to their forum didn't do that well.

I wonder if that will have any bearing on Lowes decision about whether to offer him a new contract. Is he likely to break into Plymouths first team next season? - can't see it myself. Moving here might be a good move for him.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

First anyones heard Nemane has broken his leg ! If that's true, as said why wouldn't the club tell us, what's the point in keeping that a secret ? If he's out for the season tell us !
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Maybe it's a double bluff and we'll line up with Danny, Whits, Nemane, Little, Moxey, Warren, Cameron and Tapioca (sic).
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Nemanes hamstring injury didn't appear anything major when he walked off the pitch. It didn't appear anything that would keep him out for this length of time, so something else has obviously happened.

Given that we never hear his name mentioned by the management I think we can safely assume that he won't be back anytime soon. Be surprised if any of the aforementioned players appear on Saturday other than Warren perhaps. That wouldn't necessarily be a positive as it will mean Lewis having to play left back, and breaking up his partnership with Lewis which has been our main strength of late.

Kimpioka played in the friendly against Bristol Rovers. However he didn't appear in the squad against Woking so would this suggest that he's another player who has suffered a reaction to his injury. Trying desperately to look for a positive but can't seem to find one.
SimonJones
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SimonJones »

brucie wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 13:03 I do feel it was a shame that Law was recalled by Plymouth as left back is always a problem position for us. He played the whole game for Plymouth in the week but they lost 6-0 and according to their forum didn't do that well.

I wonder if that will have any bearing on Lowes decision about whether to offer him a new contract. Is he likely to break into Plymouths first team next season? - can't see it myself. Moving here might be a good move for him.
I also saw this, but their Manager had a very different view of how their game went for him... said he was ‘outstanding’, ‘deserved to be winning 6-0 as he was that fantastic’ and ‘is just what we want here at this Club’. So, I’m sure he’s done his chances of getting another contract at Argyle no harm if that’s how the Manager perceives him.

I agree though, it would be a good move for him here. Our style suited him and he appeared to slot in very well, bringing out the best in Jake Andrews.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... es-5323100
SimonJones
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SimonJones »

davethegull2 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 13:26 Maybe it's a double bluff and we'll line up with Danny, Whits, Nemane, Little, Moxey, Warren, Cameron and Tapioca (sic).
We’ve had that many injuries it’s difficult keeping track of who is injured and when they are due to return. It may be easier listing who is fit, rather than who is injured!

Perhaps we need a weekly ‘press release’ just from the medical department :lol:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I see in the Torbay Weekly Dowson has said he hoped Woking could do Sutton a favour against us ! As GJ alluded to, not sure he should be saying that as Woking play Sutton in 2 weeks. We don't want Woking boosting Suttons goal difference in that one - they should play their strongest available team. As someone else said, the National League should have said teams finishing in the relegation places should start next season with a points deduction.
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Just had a stab at predictions for the end of the season.
Sutton win 83
Hartlepool 79
Stockport 78
Torquay 77
Was being a bit pessimistic with some draws for us but unless Sutton implode it’s theirs still to lose despite tonight’s defeat.
What do you reckon?
simjones1980
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by simjones1980 »

Cheers for that...talk about bringing us down to earth!
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Sorry about that. Early evening hangover