Boreham Wood v Torquay United - Saturday 13th March - KO 17:20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Just taking up a point with my old mate Brucie about the Bath lad who has gone to Sutton Chances are much greater he comes from the London area and that's why I feel the City clubs are in a good position currently in this lock down situation and we are probably are in the worst. Yes players coming in aren't fit but to be honest it's only the desperate will travel down to a locked down seaside town and spend endless hours in the lodge. We are currently fishing from a very small pool.

I think lockdown and not being able to recruit is as big a factor as our massive injury list in all this and the name calling by some isn't going to change that.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

We have scored 6 goals from open play in the last 10 games. Can we try a few more shots instead of trying to walk the ball into the net ? Pity we couldn't get a right sided attacker to replace Nemane instead a couple of loanees who don't even make the squad.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Still a lot of football to be played. We`re two thirds into the season. Excluding away to Dover which is unlikely to take place Sutton have 5 of their next 6 games away from home before they play us. Plenty of opportunity for them to drop points. I know we`re experiencing a total drop in form at the moment but we`ve plenty of games to put it right. We`re still in the mix.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

As far is Wilson is concerned he doesn't actually come from London at all. Born in Yate, he was at Bristol Rovers, and made 10 appearances for Exeter City on loan.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have been watching pro football for over 60 years. The game has changed so much but the key fact is goals win games.

If Scott Boden is unfit play Olaf Kozela as an out and out striker and he will score goals I am convinced. He needs the chance which he never gets.

It is no good bringing him on with 10 minutes to go. We have got to work the goalkeeper. Sometimes you get a keeper error but often you get a deflection but you get neither if you do not shoot. Tuesday should be shoot on sight and ensure 20 shots minimum and stop trying to be Manchester City and pass our way to a goal. It might work with our very best team but it does not work without the cream of our squad out injured.

This League is competitive but players in the National League are there for a reason they are not, most of them, Football League quality.

The Boreham Wood strikers were energetic and high octane our strikers were not.We were fortunate to get a point but Gary knows that and hopefully he will give Olaf a proper chance to prove he is good enough.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Launceston Gull wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 11:30 Still a lot of football to be played. We`re two thirds into the season. Excluding away to Dover which is unlikely to take place Sutton have 5 of their next 6 games away from home before they play us. Plenty of opportunity for them to drop points. I know we`re experiencing a total drop in form at the moment but we`ve plenty of games to put it right. We`re still in the mix.
:goodpost:
Totally agree
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

brucie wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 23:12 At least you can't blame Hall completely as Hartlepool failed to win as well. That said it was a terrible penalty - the keeper had committed to diving to his right when Hall was four steps from the ball. All he had to do was roll it into the other call, but for some reason went the direction that the keeper was diving.

Squad still looks weak but not helped by our loanees Sheaf and Street who contribute nothing, when we need a full back. I'n mot sure Boden looks any better either. Not big enough, or quick enough to do any damage and looks like he's blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes.

Suttons winner today was scored by a player they have on loan from Bath City - he has scored 6 goals in 9 games for Bath this season. Our recruitment of loan signings looks poor in comparison.
And the Notts County winner was scored by Mark Ellis on his debut, on loan from Tranmere.

Surely we could have been in the market for Wilson and Ellis. Instead we are lumbered with Street and Sheaf, who are clearly not up to it.

Gary's brother should be replaced, he has not any worthwhile contacts and is a total embarrasment.

Sparks and Blissett both scored yesterday for Maidenhead, just warming up for Tuesday.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You've got to wonder what exactly we are paying Pete Johnson for. Nearly every other team has fit for purpose strikers. Reuben Reid and Rhys Murphy at Yeovil.

Boreham Wood's were better (and had better on the bench) - Maidenhead have Blissett.

Sutton sign a player (where our alleged scout is supposed to have contacts) and he scores in his first match.

We had Boden who can't head the ball and has no pace. In fact believe it or not I'd rather have Street - at least he isn't knackered after 10 minutes.

We havn't even got a proper right back , it is embarrassing - we are supposed to be chasing promotion. With Whitfield looking to have sustained a knee injury last night our line up will no doubt look even worse on Tuesday night.

I suppose that Mark Ellis wouldn't have been available to us but just as Ilustration if we had signed him, then put Lewis at full back and return Randell to midfield the team starts to look far stronger. Its obvious what we need one or two players in the problem positions instead of four or five no hopers and a goalkeeper to play one game in the Fa Trophy.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

i would have taken a point before hand with all our key players out . just looked at the table and still hell of a lot of games to go yet, when wright, nemane and cameron are back everything will look much better. covolan also back too as he was on the bench yesterday expect him in next saturday.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

So what are you suggesting Brucie ?' We play without a goalkeeper against Woking. ?

I know things are not great but what would a move like that do for team spirit.

You have already written off Boden. Rightly or wrongly he was furloughed by Chesterfield. He was always going to have limited fitness at this stage. If I remember it correctly you were the one taking Umerah to pieces after a poor performance.

Frustrating it certainly is but let's just wait and see what happens in the next month before we hang people out to dry.
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

I think that was to get Randell back in to the centre as he was really not contributing out on the right and was struggling to track back with Tsimbathingy.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

It matters very little who we individually rate as players, what we have is what we've got, we cannot afford top wages that some clubs are paying,and would you come halfway across the country to stay in a small terrace with a load of young players,doubtful. What we have obtained certainly in the loan market have been very poor acquisitions with little thought and smacks of desperation, If the likes of Umerah, Waters and Boden who have varying degrees of experience cannot crack defences a young untried striker like Koszela would be of no benefit and could set back his development. He definitely needs a season in the south in order to play every week and learn his game, he is at the moment in Johnsons eyes fifth choice striker.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I think that it's all down to money and uncle Clarke. We have a decent squad of around 15 players who are capable of doing well in this league. We know the budget is not the highest in the league and over the last 2 seasons we have had a horrific injury list that has meant having to get extra players on loan or short term contracts to replace the injured players. Uncle Clarke has obviously given a budget to Gary Johnson that means that the manager cannot bring in the quality of players that he may want due to financial reasons. Nobody is to blame, especially Osbourne as he has had to finance the club with almost no income coming in to the club. It would not surprise me if when the next accounts are released, Uncle Clarke would have pumped in excess of 5 million pounds into the club.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

From recollection, Torquay had two shots during the entire game - one a dire penalty and one in the second half from CLE. Torquay can count themselves extremely fortunate to have gained a point and it is difficult to see where a goal is coming from. I still maintain the squad needs a goalie capable of playing at League 2 level, a genuine left back, a big lump of a centre forward and an old-fashioned inside forward with a proven goalscoring record.

The recruitment has been poor, to put it mildly. I would like to be on Gary Warren and Dean Moxey's salaries for sitting on my backside each week.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

scouting is abysmal
A lot of the players are either not good enough.not interested or have fitness issues
get him replaced Gary!!