What Has Gone Wrong?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I do not believe for one minute we have had Covid in the camp, one, the league would lynch us if they found we had been suppressing positive results and second a break with a Covid outbreak would have counted in our favour in allowing players extra time to recover while we could not play games, I think the reliable sources we all know tend to know are anything but reliable, and what they do not know they tend to make up.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

When talking about getting in quality players to improve our chances of promotion makes me reflect back to the 60's. The pic below is the West Ham squad in 1964 the year they won the FA Cup followed up by winning the the Euro Cup Winners Cup in 65, and of course the golden trio of Moore, Peters and Hurst lifting the World Cup in 66.

West Ham were the Liverpool of its day, so imagine waking up during the 66 & 67 seasons and hearing that three of the players in that team photo had signed for little old Torquay - guess it would be equivalent today of Johnson signing Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Mohamed Salah from Liverpool for a nominal fee. Of course, we did get back to Division Three in 66/67 and were only denied a place in Division Two (Championship today) by a poor run during last games of the 1967-68 season.

Will let the younger supporters do their homework of who's who in the photo.

Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Three ex-Torquay players!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Or is it four?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Well, that's all very nostalgic - but wtf does it have to do with us now in 2021?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Thank you MellowYellow for the trip down memory lane. It WAS appreciated by some but obviously not all. Once again a certain indivual sees fit to belittle others.

A little decorum would be welcomed.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Yes , he will be an old git like us before he knows it - 3 I think , Bill Kitchener not there though after his first loan spell he went back to them and into their first team for a few games before we got him back for £10,000 a massive fee in those days.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Ah fair point - wasn’t sure if that was Kitchener second from left standing. Brown, Bonds and Scott - wow what times!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

North Curry House wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 10:16 Thank you MellowYellow for the trip down memory lane. It WAS appreciated by some but obviously not all.
Nostalgic, but nonetheless part of the clubs history that makes us unique. We can easily choose to forget the past but there are valuable lessons to be learned from it rather than just accept that only the present matters as we continue to count the days spent in the wilderness.

I would think Johnson is using his knowledge from past experiences to guide us back to the promised land but some may say what has his previous 30 year history of football management got to do with us now in 2021.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Those were the days alright.

If you didn't see these players in action its impossible to convey how good they actually were. Watched Suttons hod carriers on Saturday night. If they had played against our team containing those players they woudldn't have seen the ball for ninety minutes!
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

John Bond....what a character, always having a laff as his old legs and brain outwitted visiting wingers. Alaways smiling too. Had a good career after he left us.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

North Curry House wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 10:16 Thank you MellowYellow for the trip down memory lane. It WAS appreciated by some but obviously not all. Once again a certain indivual sees fit to belittle others.

A little decorum would be welcomed.
Gee, there are some touchy ones on here..... :}
I did actually say it was very nostalgic.....
Lighten up......
Last edited by SuperNickyWroe on 08 Mar 2021, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

desperado wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 10:50 Yes , he will be an old git like us before he knows it - 3 I think , Bill Kitchener not there though after his first loan spell he went back to them and into their first team for a few games before we got him back for £10,000 a massive fee in those days.
What's age got to do with it? =D

TUST Member 468

Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I still say not a lot. It is 08:30 on Tuesday 9th March and we are top of the league and have been all season.

While I accept teams have games in hand and a good possibly Dover points will be removed - we are still top.

In these challenging Covid times this season is better than most I can remember and we sit in a strong position.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

So has anyone come up with all the names of the players in the piccy? Obviously Moore, Peters, Hurst, Brooking, Brown, Bond and Scott can be seen but who are the others?