Torquay United v Sutton United Tuesday 26th Jan 7pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

🤣🤣🤣
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

FT 0-0.
Will take that having gone down to 10 men.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

I think Gary Johnson would win more in the air than Umera
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 21:02 I think Gary Johnson would win more in the air than Umera
You just can't let go can you. Moxey was far more of a liability and could have cost us the match.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I would have taken 0-0 in both tonight's game and Notts County on Saturday. Especially being down to ten men tonight. We remain 9 points clear and have got two tough games out of the way with no damage.

Keep believing, in Gray we trust.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

That was a point won given the sending off. Thought we missed Asa Hall greatly - time and time again their midfield pushed the ball around ours, forcing the foul and the sending off. Hall in the holding role would have prevented this. Throughout the game Sutton's midfield looked stronger and speedier - it was a surprise that they couldn't make their advantage tell in the last 35. Indeed we seem to step up the tempo after the sending off and we had the better chances. Overall the stats were pretty even - corners 5 each, attempts on target 5 each (from 12 in our case and 9 in theirs). I was impressed with Nemane's contribution in trying to stem the tide in midfield - he was my MOTM.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I knew January was going to be a hard month and other than the mickey mouse cup we are winless but a draw tonight was on balance a fair result, I keep going on about lack of pace but Moxey let us down tonight, regardless of the first booking his experience should have told him not to get caught again, but he did. Little is a shadow of the player we knew and is dropping further down the pecking order for first choice midfielders. Enough has been said of Umerah but Street was a class above and with the right support will do very well, thank you. Lewis started as he left us, brilliant.Hopefully if there is such a thing an easier match on Saturday against the bottom club.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Was Street a class above? - Missed the best chance of the game, Blimey if Umerah had missed that header he would have been hung drawn and quartered.

Looked a bit lightweight to me but may do better when we have eleven men on the pitch. Agreed though Lewis was outstanding, as was Sherring in his best postion at centre half. I think that Sheaf was carrying an injury - Little was disappointing playing off the striker and we missed the goal threat of Evans (playing deeper) and Hall.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Gary's thoughts

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

I think as some have already said, that was a point gained.
At the least we needed 2 points from the last two games.
Some good performances, even without our best 11 on the pitch.
Was disappointed with Moxey. Reminded me of him getting sent off for being rash at Wembley.
Trying to be positive in the fact they have 3 games in hand and play Hartlepool & Stockport away next.
They have to win both to get anywhere near us and then win the other game in hand.
Rather be in our position with points on the board.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I think GJ summed the performance up pretty much as i saw it as well. I agree with others regarding Armani's role. I would have prefered CLE in there.
I think some need to get off Umerahs case. He is playing a difficult role with not much service. He is obviously lacking in confidence and needs all to stick by him and support him. It reminds me of the rubbish some on here use to aim at Jamie Ried if he missed a few chances or didnt score for a few games.
I thought Joe Lewis was very good last night. I also thought Randell did well especially moving back at right back. I cant believe Sutton never really went for us when we went down to 10 men.
I dont disagree with Moxeys two yellows however the ref was poor last night.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Think a draw was a fair result. We forced their keeper to make more serious saves than MacDonald had to but not enough.
Only seen Streets header once but it looked like he jumped too early and a bit more pace on the ball would have helped , even so he should have done better.
I see the Altrincham game is now next Tuesday, we really must get 6 points from the next two if we are serious about winning this league, though with 1 defeat in 9 and two 2-2 draws at Sutton and Stockport recently Altrincham will be tough.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

SBP wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 12:07 I think GJ summed the performance up pretty much as i saw it as well. I agree with others regarding Armani's role. I would have prefered CLE in there.
I think some need to get off Umerahs case. He is playing a difficult role with not much service. He is obviously lacking in confidence and needs all to stick by him and support him. It reminds me of the rubbish some on here use to aim at Jamie Ried if he missed a few chances or didnt score for a few games.
I thought Joe Lewis was very good last night. I also thought Randell did well especially moving back at right back. I cant believe Sutton never really went for us when we went down to 10 men.
I dont disagree with Moxeys two yellows however the ref was poor last night.
I agree but I think that Sutton were out on their feet towards the end which is why they didn't put any more pressure on us.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Agree with Modgull that Nemane was our motm, and that we would have been better off in attack with CLE forward instead of a surprisingly poor AL.
We did at least seem to play better once reduced to 10 men, otherwise we had been knocked out of our usual pattern of teamwork by no-nonsense play by Sutton who readily hoofed the ball upfield for their quick men to chase. Our misplaced passing let us down too often.
The conditions were hardly conducive to flowing football; however we need to be more composed when shooting - blasting over the top or wide when we could all see that their keeper was not going to hold on to the ball was just so wasteful (and unprofessional).
Defensively we did very well, particularly in the second half, and Lewis is a fine addition. We have quite a squad now.