Torquay United v Aldershot Town 24/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Had intended after a busy weekend to add my thoughts on the game, however after seeing the thread had descended into a bollocks fest didn't bother to.

Think SNW and Plainmoor 78 are on the right track, DawlishMatt I used think said poster was a wind up merchant, now after reading the post about Reid now think DawlishMatt is just full of shit, the poster is after click bait, don't give it, they'll soon get bored.
Formerly known as forevertufc
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Plainmoor78. So then, I'm nothing but a saddo and wind up merchant who's sole purpose of posting on this site is to wind up people? Well if being happily married for 44 years, having 4 beautiful children and grandchildren and living by the sea in dawlish is the definition of being a saddo, then I'm overjoyed to be called a saddo.
Because I have opinions that may sometimes be controversial, well I thought that this is what a fans forum was about.
I don't give a damn about being slated for my opinions but I can assure everyone on this site. I always fight fire with fire.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

I`d also be interested in wivelgull`s views on Codgery qualification. I personally think age per se is meaningless, it surely has more to do with how many years of history one can relate to. Remembering a "golden age" from personal experience of course often goes hand in hand with ones own advancing years. I`m aged early sixties (middle aged) and a supporter from the early days of O`Farrell. I never saw a game from the Webber years so I don`t consider that I would qualify as a codger just yet.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I agree with Plainmoor78
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

It's a state of mind, really. You have to be fairly ancient (I am 77) and I suppose you have to have seen the Prince of Plainmoor in his prime. Mind you, I didn't arrive in Torquay until I was 20 (saw my first game a fortnight after my arrival) so I missed the era of whom the REAL Codgery call the greatest ever, Don Mills. However, I expect they're all dead now (like we will be soon), so I suppose the Codgery may be defined as old geezers, still alive, who were there in the 60s and who saw Robin in his pomp (and believe me, that was something to see).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 17:52 It's a state of mind, really. You have to be fairly ancient (I am 77) and I suppose you have to have seen the Prince of Plainmoor in his prime. Mind you, I didn't arrive in Torquay until I was 20 (saw my first game a fortnight after my arrival) so I missed the era of whom the REAL Codgery call the greatest ever, Don Mills. However, I expect they're all dead now (like we will be soon), so I suppose the Codgery may be defined as old geezers, still alive, who were there in the 60s and who saw Robin in his pomp (and believe me, that was something to see).
Bliddy 'ell, Wivel - I've had a great B.H. weekend with the kids and grandchildren, and a good win against Aldershot, and you've just ruined it by telling me I'll be dead soon! ;-) I've signed a pact with the Grim Reaper that he won't come for me until we're back in the Football league. We know that Tony Collins is still with us and that Colin Bettany is still alive and 'kicking' (he made a 50/50 Draw last season). To Dawlishmatt - I posted on here at least two years ago that there must be land 'freed up' by the Kingskerswell bypass where a new stadium, sports facilities and a hotel could be built. I don't think there is any likelihood that it will ever be built at the cutely named 'Nightingale Park' (where no self-respecting nightingale would deem to be seen or heard).

Anyway, back on topic. I thought that was a great team performance on Saturday. There were good performances throughout the side. I like Shuan MacDonald. He gained several points for us last season, but he's had a few dodgy moments this season, notably Maidenhead's first goal, so it was right that Covolan was given a chance. He looks very confident and his distribution was better than Shaun's. The back four looked stronger with Liam Davis back. He was my Player of the Match. But I agree wih the Aldershot fan - they played some nice football in midfield, but looked decidedly weak upfront. Where was Scotty Rendell when they needed him??

Finally, anyone heard from Fred Perry lately? a 2 - 1 home defeat against Eastleight tonight. Ho, hum .... the words 'burst' and 'bubble' spring to mind. :whistle: