Torquay United Vs Dover 17.8.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

To be honest I was surprised that Johnson didn't bring in more experienced players during the summer and one of the positions I thought that needed changing was the goal keeper, I honestly thought that MacDonald would be relegated to back up based on what I thought were some dodgy moments last season that he got away with and obviously there was always a question mark over the defence.
That said we have got what we have got and today the players proved themselves. So hopefully onwards and upwards.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Macdonald did really well last season, but unfortunately he seems to have lost his confidence.

Didn't sound as though Covalan made any major errors and it just shows how different the complexion of a game is at 0-0. There was every chance that we would be able to show our class once the game opened up in the second half and so it proved.

We have had three tough away games. Played well against Bromley and should have won. Great result against a form team today.

Even against Solihull we were out the game early due to a keeper howler and a joke penalty decision.

We could well have got a couple of goals in the second half of that one as well. The other game we lost was basically a complete fluke so I would say plenty to be positive.

Having lost on Tuesday today was a potentially difficult one. The young lads have really shown their mettle today - you can't odds it a fantastic effort today.
Last edited by brucie on 17 Aug 2019, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Great result but interesting to see that Woking, our chief rivals last season, have adapted much more quickly to the demands of NL football than ourselves and achieved an impressive 1-4 away win today (even with Ben Gerring in the side!). They sit 2nd in the table behind Solihull Moors - perhaps 'Fred Perry' might like to make a nuisance of himself on the Cards' fan forum instead of posting inane comments on ours??!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

**** Woking - its too early to make any judgements. They ain't gonna stay there long with Gerring at center half - that's a certainty. I don't buy this "adapting to the league"

You could argue that we have been the better side in 4 out of the 5 fixtures we have played and could easily have had 12 points.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Gary sounded well pleased in his interview on the OS.

Sounds like Jake Andrews produced 2 match winning crosses and Jamie scored with a header!!

Asa Hall very keen Red Card is appealed as ball hit the bar and then hit his arm. No intent.

Great result. COYY.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

But we're Torquay United & appeals just don't go our way.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

SBP wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 17:25 Missed you last home game Mr Gateman...holiday whatever next...missing a home game :keepie:
Yep, in deepest Lincolnshire with the wife, just as frustrated last Tuesday though!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 19:41 **** Woking - its too early to make any judgements. They ain't gonna stay there long with Gerring at center half - that's a certainty. I don't buy this "adapting to the league"

You could argue that we have been the better side in 4 out of the 5 fixtures we have played and could easily have had 12 points.
If I recall correctly, at this stage last season Woking appeared to be running away with it.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

:goodpost: :goodpost:
gateman49 wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 22:29 If I recall correctly, at this stage last season Woking appeared to be running away with it.
:goodpost:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Fantastic result today, if I’m honest I didn’t see us winning at Dover, and not many teams in this league will. Great character from the entire team/management after the negative vibes from Tuesday night. This league or any league will not be won or lost after 5 games. We have to support the lads through thick and thin, as these youngsters are learning all the time but in these youngsters we have appetite and hunger. In Johnson we trust COYY
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 03:17 Fantastic result today, if I’m honest I didn’t see us winning at Dover, and not many teams in this league will. Great character from the entire team/management after the negative vibes from Tuesday night. This league or any league will not be won or lost after 5 games. We have to support the lads through thick and thin, as these youngsters are learning all the time but in these youngsters we have appetite and hunger. In Johnson we trust COYY
Spot on, Lucy x 2. If ... oops, Dawlishmatt doesn't like us using the word 'if' ;-) ..... had we won on Tuesday night and lost yesterday, most of us would have said we expected to beat Maidenhead and lose at Dover. We should all know by now what an unpredictable game football is! I'm sure we will win more games than we lose this season ..... and no more boo-ing, please !!!

It must have been difficult leaving Frankie Vincent out of the squad yesterday. He has done okay filling in at left back, but he isn't a full back. When he was allowed to go forward, he looked the very good player he is. Does anyone else think he plays like a young Eunan O'Kane?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

If, but, maybe. 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Gary has made it clear to the squad that this season is very much about using the squad and therefore at least 14 of the squad know their place is not guaranteed match to match.

This is a good thing because our bench is strong and a player coming off the bench knows Gary is expecting them to make an impact.

Pro football is more and more about having strength in depth if you want success. Look at the status of some of the players in the Premier League who start the match on the bench.With a quarter of the 46 games coming in August and September I think you will find come October that all of them will have featured in some way barring injury.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Funny ol' game. We would have expected to beat Maidenhead and either losing or at best drawing at Dover before the season started. W2, D1, L1 is a fantastic start.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Lost 2 I think (Solihull & Maidenhead)