TUFC 2019/20 Squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I agree with much of the above. For me after 8-10 games I was concerned about Wynter, Hall and Niate. Wynter has had a complete transformation and looks like a completely different player. His defending is assured, he takes up far better positions defensively and looks a yard faster, his crossing has improved significantly. Niate just doesn't look like he's improved and if Im honest I don't think he can step it up a level. He has chipped in with the odd goal however not for me. Since GJ has arrived Hall has stepped up too, very impressed with his work, does the basics, his pre season last year was hampered with injury, lets hope he recovers from this latest injury and gets a full pre season in.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

A C Back in the Aaron Downes mould would do just fine for me.
I would expect the 19/20 squad to be virtually in place for the start of pre season , & hopefully no ' A Trialist ' on the team sheets during ps friendlies.
Gary knows who he wants & I fully expect him to be backed by CO.
Onwards & upwards.
Coyy
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'd like a hard man to terrify the opposition in the Bettany/Reg Wyatt/Branson mould.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

wivelgull wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:14 I'd like a hard man to terrify the opposition in the Bettany/Reg Wyatt/Branson mould.
That type of player has had their day. Modern laws have virtually made them illegal.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I agree with the points made in this thread re: Niate.

He seems to have been the one involved at the times when we concede unnecessary goals against the run of play and he does not look comfortable on the ball.

My favourite seasons for the back line since I've been watching Torquay are 97/98 when we had Alex Watson, Jon Gittens and Wayne Thomas across the back with Alex Gurney and Paul Gibbs on the flanks pinging in goals (I think Davis and Wynter can replicate this and should set some goal targets for next year). 2003/04 season was also a classic with Craig Taylor and Steve Woods partnering in the middle. During both of these seasons I genuinely felt a level of comfort watching Torquay that I haven't experienced since...every time a long ball was played or quick run was made, these guys would handle it.

I think we've got the makings of a really strong back line with Cameron, Wynter and Davis, with a tough tackling no nonsense CB next to Cameron I think we'll be solid. I've admired Macdonald's performances but having someone of the standard of Gregg, Olejnik, Van Heusden from days gone by would probably give me a step up in confidence.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

I'd be interested in giving Tyler Harvey a go if we could get him on a free. He scored a lot of goals for Truro and they went down! Plus we don't have many permanent forward options and he's a different type of player to Reidy. With him being based in the South West already and having played League football as well, any one think its worth a shout?

No idea about his contract situation though.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Mr. Bristol might be interested in reading what Garry Nelson had to say about Jon Gittens in his book One Foot in the Grave.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Midlandgull wrote: 01 May 2019, 18:42 I'd be interested in giving Tyler Harvey a go if we could get him on a free. He scored a lot of goals for Truro and they went down! Plus we don't have many permanent forward options and he's a different type of player to Reidy. With him being based in the South West already and having played League football as well, any one think its worth a shout?

No idea about his contract situation though.
I'm not sure about this type of signing. Tyler has played at NLP level before and had his one year contract at Wrexham cancelled half way through after failing to score in 13 appearances and spending two months on loan at Bath City.
We need to concentrate on players who might have the potential to succeed at our level of are proven successes. Tyler has had his chance.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Another player like Guy Branston would be perfect to partner Cameron at the back. Not sure who that is now but I'm sure GJ will deliver :)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Bristol - ANDY Gurney ? Enjoyed your post . .
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 01 May 2019, 21:15 I'm not sure about this type of signing. Tyler has played at NLP level before and had his one year contract at Wrexham cancelled half way through after failing to score in 13 appearances and spending two months on loan at Bath City.
We need to concentrate on players who might have the potential to succeed at our level of are proven successes. Tyler has had his chance.
A lot of things to consider.

Was he fully fit? Did he get a full pre season, or did he miss it completely & have to get up to speed in 1st team games? Playing in Wrexham, did he have personal reasons for living in Plymouth meaning he commuted from Devon? Was he a regular for 13 games or getting 15 minutes here and there? Was he playing through the pain barrier & in need of an operation? Did he play centrally or was he outwide due to a lack of wide men? Did Wrexham appoint a new manager, who unable to add new players was told to let players go before adding anyone else? And Harvey, not happy in North Wales wanted a move nearer to Devon.

I don't expect you to know the answers, but those things don't always come to light. So on the face of it, he may not have cut it at NL level but there's always other things to consider. With the right team it may be different - I suspect that's the case with Tyler Harvey judging by his form since.

Jayden Stockley with 1 in 19 at TUFC suggests he wouldn't cut it in league 2. I had egg on my face when Exeter signed him as I assumed he was a poor signing after his goals for us; or lack there of.
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

Parkys People wrote: 02 May 2019, 19:55 A lot of things to consider.

Was he fully fit? Did he get a full pre season, or did he miss it completely & have to get up to speed in 1st team games? Playing in Wrexham, did he have personal reasons for living in Plymouth meaning he commuted from Devon? Was he a regular for 13 games or getting 15 minutes here and there? Was he playing through the pain barrier & in need of an operation? Did he play centrally or was he outwide due to a lack of wide men? Did Wrexham appoint a new manager, who unable to add new players was told to let players go before adding anyone else? And Harvey, not happy in North Wales wanted a move nearer to Devon.

I don't expect you to know the answers, but those things don't always come to light. So on the face of it, he may not have cut it at NL level but there's always other things to consider. With the right team it may be different - I suspect that's the case with Tyler Harvey judging by his form since.

Jayden Stockley with 1 in 19 at TUFC suggests he wouldn't cut it in league 2. I had egg on my face when Exeter signed him as I assumed he was a poor signing after his goals for us; or lack there of.
:goodpost:

Was thinking of saying something similar myself as there have been plenty of players in the past who've not cut it in a division, dropped down and did well and are now playing well back at that level or higher. Players shouldn't (and don't) just get one chance and that's that.

Watching the National League eliminator game last night, before the game they actually commented on the fact that Wrexham's problem the past few seasons is that they just can't seem to score enough goals, which suggests an issue with their system, style of play, etc., rather than necessarily an issue with the players themselves. Think Harvey didn't play up front that often for Wrexham when he did play either (think he was on the wing a lot) which doesn't help as we've seen with Jamie Reid in the National League. Think if GJ did sign him it would be a good signing, even if it was as a third choice striker, as he's still got a lot of promise, was the fourth highest scorer in the division this season, and don't forget that Argyle wanted to keep him but he turned down a contract offer as wanted regular football.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

When mention is made of Jayden Stockley the player I now see all the time on MOTD is Ashley Barnes.
When he was on loan to United from I think Argyle he just could not find the net but he had a certain conceit that he knew he was way better than League 2 and he has proved it over many years.
Some players need time and Jamie Reid has proved all the doubters wrong and I think he will be even better next year because he is not carrying the burden of the fans being on his back. He now feels appreciated at last and with better players around him I expect him to improve even more.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Parkys people, you make good points and of course I don't know everything relating to Stockley's plight and if Johnson picked him I would accept that Johnson is better informed.
However we all knew Reid was played out of position during his early days here but that did not stop the majority of the fans getting on his back, so allow me my doubts about an unproven prospect.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 03 May 2019, 18:21 Parkys people, you make good points and of course I don't know everything relating to Stockley's plight and if Johnson picked him I would accept that Johnson is better informed.
However we all knew Reid was played out of position during his early days here but that did not stop the majority of the fans getting on his back, so allow me my doubts about an unproven prospect.
By all means, just putting a counter argument regarding his time at Wrexham as being unsuccessful.

As you say with Reid, he was played out of position and didn't look like the player he was this season as a result. To those not making decisions, he may have looked like a lost cause. Fortunately he wasn't written off by those in charge and has come good for TUFC under the right circumstances. Like Tyler Harvey might in the National League ;-)