NEW MANAGER GARY JOHNSON

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Great appointment, good swift response from the board. Looking forward to how the players respond I think the same players will look like a different team under someone who knows what they are doing.

Interesting to hear what the conspiracy theorists think about the appointment though????
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

It’s been a long, long time since we appointed someone to manage our football club, with such a high profile in the game. He seems to love the Westcountry and all his best achievements have come when running the likes of Yeovil (twice), Bristol City and Cheltenham. The only real “blip” during his managerial career was an unhappy and unsuccessful stint at Northampton and a short lived stay at Peterborough .... but when it comes to the Westcountry he has had some amazing success. Let’s hope that continues now with us!

Whilst I would have quite liked to see the appointment of a younger man, with knowledge of this level. The reality of that is that it would almost inevitably have meant bringing someone in from well outside this area and there is always the danger that that individual might not be able to replicate any past successes in the environs of South Devon!

I believe that this appointment, at a time when we are at our lowest ebb, is one of the most important in the club’s history - we have been in decline for the last six seasons or more and the rot has to stop! For that reason, it was probably a sensible decision to run with a more experienced Manager and we certainly have that in Gary Johnson.

I think I am right in saying that quite a few of our players will already be familiar with him as the likes of Ryan Dickson and Liam Davis (Yeovil) , Asa Hall and more recently Jake Andrews (Cheltenham) will all have played under him I think.

Of course the fact that his son Lee is currently Manager at Bristol City cannot but help our cause too - hopefully the likes of Andrews and Edwards stay with us will now be extended beyond the initial month and who knows, there may be more to come from that source.

Well done to all concerned, a fantastic appointment .... and it only took 36 hours!!! :lol:
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Great appointment will be back to watch them again now,the only way is up.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

At last we have a manager with contacts, contacts, contacts , Gary Johnson will be nobody's fool & I suspect if he gets a whiff of any shenanigans going on behind the scenes he'll call it out & be off as quick as he's arrived.
Well done CO for your proactive appointment & realisation we need someone who knows what it takes.
Thank you & welcome Gary
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Gary J looks like Gary O's doppleganger on the official site photo!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think I'll have a beer to celebrate 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

An excellent appointment in my book. Bloody surprised me though.....wasn't expecting this so quickly.
I would like to give credit to Osborne and all else in completing this so quickly.
Crickey Gary Johnson.....who d of thought that
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:31 Mr Johnson is a great appointment in my book just because it drew this response 😀😀
Ha you fell for the bait, I nearly replied but managed to resist.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Nice to have something to finally feel positive about.

I think it also ends the theory that the owners short term plans are to get us to sink as low as possible until no one cares. Its clear they feel they need to get us going again in order to gain support and are putting financial resources in place to do this.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

brucie wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:18 Personally cannot stand the big headed little twerp but who cares if he can get the team winning.

I do think that we need a southern based manager with contacts in this part of the country though.
He's probably not too fond of you either and probably not bothered about your opinions.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Certainly impressed with the speed of the appointment; now let's see how the players respond. We are due improved performances hopefully starting at Hungerford. Maybe a few more attending now?
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Terrific appointment and thankfully a proper manager installed for the first time in years. Won't be easy of course and no toxic atmosphere at games. Good luck to him 😁😁
SIDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SIDGULL »

Certainly exceeds my expectations as to who we were likely to attract. Not got an easy task by any means but at least now a glimmer of hope for the future.

Brucie, to use the old cliche "it takes one to know one". Something we can all now anticipate is the monotony throughout the season of you taking a negative approach to anything and everything GJ does.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:36 Great appointment, good swift response from the board. Looking forward to how the players respond I think the same players will look like a different team under someone who knows what they are doing.

Interesting to hear what the conspiracy theorists think about the appointment though????
It's important to keep in mind that just because a proven, reputable manager has been installed and this time with ruthless efficiency by CO then it doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't anything underhand still at work. Therefore without being negative, i still believe in keeping the Merse mantra of 'keep your eyes on the ball'.

I have to admit however that the appointment and the swiftness of it has left me quite shocked. Shocked by the quality and calibre of the manager and shocked by the speed in which a positive decision was made. Also shocked because such an appointment does appear to fly right in the face of the many conspiracy theories. my own included which i accept. I'm still far from convinced yet though that Osborne is turning a new leaf.

The appointment of Johnson for a NLS is clearly a huge positive all round on the face of it and if the club had appointed him after Ling or even after Knil then i'm sure the club would be in the FL now but that's history. Finally the club have got someone in who fits the bill in all aspects and who most fans i'm sure will be over the moon with.

A final word of warning though about wise, vastly experienced league managers working with dodgy owners and for football clubs still on the slide due to a culture of failure, unscrupulous ownership and secrecy.

Martin Allen at Chesterfield is well under the cosh and Chesterfield fans AND Allen himself are quickly finding out at that no matter how suited a manager may be to a job, the cancer still spreading through a decaying club can not easily be put into remission.

So i am left scratching my head Kingsgull about this appointment as it is clearly a positive move by CO and it's difficult to envisage Johnson doing worse than Owers which means the team will improve and the club have a chance at promotion. Something which i was adamant that Osborne was trying to avoid. With this in mind it looks stupid to still believe that Osborne is hell bent on seeing the club hurtling through the leagues so i am confused a bit i'll be honest. Confused but not convinced.

Fascinating appointment.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Mixed feelings about this to be honest
IMO a younger player manger was required from what little I’ve seen the attitude on the pitch is pants
According to some Cheltenham rumours, and that’s what they are, rumours, there was an issue withGJ with absence through health concerns and we know how that panned out with Martin Ling and he lives away in Portishead I believe and we definitely know how that can pan out lol
But he's experienced and has contacts so hopefully it'll work out for everyone
I sincerely hope so
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 13 Sep 2018, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.