Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

I think he was sacked for punching Colin Anderson if memory serves right, or was it because he didn't have a PSV licence?
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

I believe he did punch someone's light's out but aren't we forgetting those marvelous free kicks? I think a lot of fans were disappointed when he left the club with the exception of Colin probably. I'm not aware of the driving qualifications he held at the time.
TUST No 278
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

God Merse - or should that Merse who wishes to be God - is still obsessing about Nicholson -and the rest have gone back to Bruce Rioch . It shows just how little confidence anyone has about Owers ( eleventh NS place at Bath) actually being able to get anyone to to turn up let alone of anyone fit for purpose.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

To be fair it wasn't Merse who turned this into another thread about Kevin fecking Nicholson.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

There are likely to be at least 14 more signings to come so why the fuss now? Give Owers a chance; he's not a novice.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Hope he signs Ben Gerring, he was doing well until he got sent off.
TUST No 278
Nathan Strong
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Vincent Dorel

Post by Nathan Strong »

Sorry to continue the nicho thing but he really never had a plan B and looked a bit losed when things were going wrong, also screwed us over with all those players he brought in who were terrible and left us with no money to bring anyone else in, fair enough kept us up for a few seasons but he was no legend.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Dazza wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 21:20It shows just how little confidence anyone has about Owers ( eleventh NS place at Bath) actually being able to get anyone to to turn up let alone of anyone fit for purpose.
All managers have got a lot of work to do at this stage of the close season; at the moment the whole football world at our level is a giant chaotic money lottery ~ as its run by advisors, agents and the full-time money teams… agents are presently holding all the aces and agents are asking silly money for their clients and as such, agents are creating the same old silly season; but this year ~ I've been told ~ it really does seem so much worse.

As the weeks go by, the silly season drifts away and it will get more realistic and some really good players will end up getting released by Football League clubs, and by the end of June, the Football League, and full time National league, player’s contracts expire, and they are suddenly left without a club.

So we have to appreciate that this is how it is.

Even under 'money bags' Osborne :Oops: the manager cannot put the club’s stability in jeopardy or we could end up like Hartlepool, Dagenham or Chester, who last season all struggled financially… In truth though some of the players currently seeking employment have more relegations, more mediocrity, or more injury layoffs, on their CV’s than they have success stories ~ our remaining transfer listed players being a case in point ~ and in any other walk of life, their agents would be classed as chancers trying their luck.

The club has to build sensibly out of the previous wreckage, and that means slowly and step-by-step. The improvements to the pitch and training ground have to go hand in hand with the assembly of almost a complete new squad of players Even at NLS level the club needs to ensure the correct infrastructure for this league, the community, AND the league above. The club still have to fund all that and the community/youth programmes by creating more diverse income streams and when you factor it all in together; the manager cannot afford to jeopardise any of that by even one rash signing such as we saw all too often last summer.

The days of the manager being given carte blanche to hand out contracts without sufficient due diligence and personal knowledge of the player's current form and abilities are now gone and that is another reason why there won't be too many new arrivals just yet.
Last edited by merse btpir on 02 Jun 2018, 21:57, edited 5 times in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Oh for goodness sake the previous manager was a decent left back but he was no football manager. If he was how come he isn't employed as one at a decent level now?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

sgf wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 20:42 For some reason, he seems to have a bizarre cult following.
Whilst I cannot claim to be a member of that cult, one can nonetheless understand why he may have a following. There is something rather endearing about a man, standing against all odds, and through his persistence and determined effort completes his given mission as laid down by his Masters.

However, he was a inexperienced rookie on the workings of club management, who let his love for the club, rule his career path logic and has paid a hefty penalty for that decision. However he is now in the annals of history and so we move on.

Owers is the main man now and we adhere to his words because he tells us he has "one aim and that's to win the league". As Merse correctly informs, last season "the club had to wait until their fourteenth game to record a win" which contributed to our relegation. This coming season for our announced promotion push we can expect to wait until at least our fourteenth game to record a lost because Owers tells us “ I know what it will take" to bounce back at the first attempt.

So come on Gary, show these bizarre cult followers what success is under a real football manager
Last edited by MellowYellow on 02 Jun 2018, 22:35, edited 4 times in total.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

If I'm also not mistaken Tommy Tynan was sacked for hitting Wes Saunders over the head with a kettle the week of the play off final against Blackpool.

I think this made his driving qualifications irrelevant, although I believe he is a taxi driver now but, sadly, can't go higher than a 7 seater.

Could have come in handy a couple of years ago
harrywithnobrain

Post by harrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 21:01 So many unfit for purpose summer signings; so little attention paid to their physical preparation; the club had to wait until their fourteenth game to record a win ~ and that a gimmee against a late arriving Maidenhead United side.

In the first game under the current management it was observed the players were 'breathing out of their arses' after twenty minutes; that's how bad it was.

That's what last season's recruitment did for the club!
https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/t ... sults.html
Judging by their results it was the current management and their sychophantic followers - no names Merse but if the cap fits wear it - who have been 'breathing out of their arses' for far longer than the players.
harrywithnobrain

MrTee75 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:37 I'm fairly new to this,so not looking for any BS dialogue with this Merse bloke,but surely Gulls fans with half a brain must realise what Nicho did for us (keeping us up) as well as doing it with zero funds, sometimes still playing, coaching,BUS DRIVING,you name it,yet people have bloody short memories,I find this in life,they wasn't to re-write history,or portray things in their own way,Nicho doing what he did was fantastic,and nobody should think otherwise, Gowling had a half decent injury record before he signed for us, remember the decent players Kev brought to the club,he always kept his dignity and never never looked to hide,Owers is shocking,his record is piss poor,Healy only came to us as a favour from Warnock,that's my views,As for next season,we are gonna need what I call streetwise footballers,a lot of teams coming to us will raise their own game as we'll be seen as a "bigboy" of national league south,Owers needs to get it right,but I don't think he will
Good luck with that MrTee, as you are sure get nothing but BS from the Merse bloke if you disagree with him: unfortunately those Gulls fans who are the proud possessors of a mere half a brain only use it to castigate Nicholson and exonerate Owers - Merse & Co. never let facts get in the way of hubristic opinions.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

harrywithnobrain wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 22:54 Good luck with that MrTee, as you are sure get nothing but BS from the Merse bloke if you disagree with him: unfortunately those Gulls fans who are the proud possessors of a mere half a brain only use it to castigate Nicholson and exonerate Owers - Merse & Co. never let facts get in the way of hubristic opinions.
Wondered when you'd pop your head up
harrywithnobrain

sgf wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 23:24 Wondered when you'd pop your head up
It was a no-brainer