A Tommy Northcott special

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

A Tommy Northcott special

Post by wivelgull »

A week before the greatest game ever seen at Plainmoor on my lifetime (United 3 Spurs 3) we were at home to Doncaster Rovers in a run-of-the-mill Fourth Division match. There was an average crowd: 4,696, and we lost 2-4. It was a dull and uninspiring game played on a dull and uninspiring January afternoon. But the match was memorable, and has remained so, for one remarkable goal scored by one of our greatest ever players, Tommy Northcott. It was a goal that would not be allowed today, and, if the action were repeated, the attacking player would be instantly sent off. But then is then and now is now. Micky Somers had scored our first goal but, as far as I recall, we were 1-3 down when a United attack, led by Stubbs, failed and the ball came to rest in the arms of their goalkeeper who stood with both feet firmly planted on his goal line. Almost immediately after gathering the ball, Tommy Northcott, who was always an opportunist, saw his chance and barged the 'keeper over the line and into the net, where he fell over and dropped the ball, thus giving United a goal. All this was quite legal at the time and, in my opinion, part of the rough and tumble of football which is now almost absent and is sadly missed. The crowd roared their delight and Tommy, quite naturally, took the accolades of the crowd with good grace. The Doncaster Rovers players accepted the goal. Although legal, this was something that was rarely seen and, in my experience, was the only time at Plainmoor it happened. I wonder of Messrs. Gateman, stefano, tomogull and co. were there.
The United team on the day was (heroes all!) Adlington, Smith, Allen, Benson, Bettany, Wolstenholme, Atkingson, Cox, Stubbs, Northcott, Somers (exactly the same team who drew with Spurs a week later).
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Northcott, Bettany - hard men. Absolutely loved 'em.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I was only a young boy when Tommy Northcott played for the Gulls, but I saw him a few times. A player who wasn't afraid to use his physical power. I love to see a striker that takes no prisoners, Malcolm MacDonald was also like that, sheer brute force and an eye for a goal.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was at the Spurs game and the delayed replay at White Heart Lane but would have been at work for the Doncaster game.

Wivel do you remember if Alick Jeffrey was in the Doncaster team?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Yes I was at that game and remember Tommy scoring a goal like that, although your memory is good as I couldn't have linked it to a particular game.

The main thing I remember is a Robin Stubbs penalty coming in to land on Babbacombe Downs! Perhaps it was just as well, as that was why Billy Atkinson stepped up to the spot the following week against Spurs!
Babbacombe

Post by Babbacombe »

I remember seeing this goal, I was twelve at the time and paid 1/3d to get in and sixpence for the programme. it was scored at the Babbacombe End. I remember thinking , my god, what are Spurs going to do to us if we can"t beat this lot. Turned out OK tho!
Fantasia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Fantasia »

I was there too. Fred Jago, the regular stadium announcer, was away so my father was taking his place next to Derrick Brad. At halftime he announced details of the coming cup match and continued " in the event of Spurs holding us to a draw, the replay will be at White Hart Lane . . "
I don't think anyone heard the date of the replay as there was a roar of laughter.
And then the White Hart Lane pitch was flooded.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yep - I wuz there, Wivel. Like Stefano, I can remember it happening but I wouldn't be able to tell you what game it was. Shoulder barging the 'keeper was part of the game in the sixties but of course nowadays they are given much more protection which I think is fair. I reckon being a 'keeper is the worst position to play. If you're a striker and miss several chances but eventually score a cracking goal, it is the goal which is remembered, not the misses. If a keeper makes a series of blinding saves and then lets in a soft goal, it is the soft goal that is remembered, not the brilliant saves.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Tommy was a great goalscorer, but I wonder how much the heading of heavy balls on wet muddy pitches in those days had an effect on players in later life. I understand Tommy in his final days suffered something similar to Muhammad Ali's condition; whether it was Parkinson's or Alzheimer's I don't know. Medical science has of course progressed in modern times and thankfully more attention is paid to the risks to the brain from sports injuries.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Mr. Gullscorer has a point. The most famous (or notorious) case of dementia brought on by heading heavy footballs is that of Jeff Astle (ex England and WBA); whether or not Tommy's Alzheimer's was caused by heading footballs, who can say - but it seems a possibility.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

My uncle George (Stabb) played for the Gulls in the 1930s. He scored 44 goals in 93 games, which wasn't bad! Sadly he also died from Alzheimer's. Whether this was brought on by playing football I don't know, but it may well have been.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

In fairness it must be said that most footballers seem to remain unaffected in later life, though I don't know what studies have been done in this area. Perhaps a few people are more susceptible to the development of such brain damage than others. At least in recent times there has been more awareness of the risks and modern footballs are less likely to inflict damage.
francegull

Post by francegull »

Don't forget brother George,the first brick outhouse , not much got past George ,if it did it didn't again.