Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

5th: Torquay United 2 - 2 Crewe Alexandra - 1986/87

82 points, 12 votes (10+8+8+10+1+1+10+2+9+5+9+9)

Division 4
Saturday 9th May 1987
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3655

The 'Greatest of Great Escapes' is next to feature here. Back in 1986/87, United had struggled at the foot of Division 4 all season long. However, it had worked that a result against Crewe on the final day would see United survive. Crewe came to Plainmoor, and found themselves 2-0 up at half time. Shortly after the break, Jim McNichol halved the deficit. It remained 1-2 when one of the most famous incidents in Torquay United's history occurred. Full back McNichol was bitten by a police dog, Bryn, as the game approached the final minutes. This caused a long delay as McNichol received treatment from the club doctors. There were four minutes added on, and in the last of those four minutes, Paul Dobson scored the Gulls equaliser, thus keeping the club in the Football League and relegating Lincoln City.

The final minutes of this match have gone down in club folklore, and some believe this was the clubs greatest escape act from the dreaded drop zone.

It was before my time, but I imagine had I seen the match then it would have been in my top 10.

Highlights:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Plymouth Gull wrote:5th: Torquay United 2 - 2 Crewe Alexandra - 1986/87

It was before my time, but I imagine had I seen the match then it would have been in my top 10.
Nah, I was at the game and it was awful! Didn't even feature in my shortlist of 30 before submitting my 10.

Everybody thought that it was between us and Burnley for the drop and if we could match the Burnley result we would be safe and they would go down. It was the first season of automatic relegation to the Conference, so the first time ever there had been so much pressure at the bottom of the 4th tier.

Nobody really looked at Lincoln City. They had actually been in the play off positions a fair way into the season but then just slipped away.

With our game stopped for nearly 10 minutes after our full back was bitten by a police dog (only there because some of our supporters were unfortunately behaving like morons) the other games finished well before ours.

Burnley had won convincingly, but Lincoln had lost so the crowd started calculating that if we could secure an equaliser and draw then we would finish above Lincoln on goal difference.

We were pumping the ball forward a lot but more in hope than expectation, and of course there was not much finesse about it as we were one of the worst teams in the Football League.

Then for no apparent reason Crewe committed suicide. Their full back for whatever reason decided to dribble the ball in his own penalty area and going towards goal rather than away from it. The ball broke loose and as everybody knows Paul Dobson turned and hit the ball just inside the post. It seemed to take an age from the ball leaving Dobson's foot to sneaking over the line, and I am sure that on any other day the Crewe keeper would have saved it such was the lack of power in the shot.

That mattered not, as the goal made it 2-2 and consigned Lincoln City to that awful league the Conference.

At half time we were down and out at 2-0 down, and I can remember seeing Brucie in the toilets at half-time who as one would expect gave an accurate and explicit description of our performance.

The second Crewe goal (which was miles offside) was scored by David Platt, who only 3 years later scored a late winner against Belgium at Italia 90 as England pushed towards the semi-finals of the World Cup.

For emotion the game was certainly one of the most memorable in the history of the club. But that was about it. Awful performance and we survived through good fortune! ;-)
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Have to echo Stefano's comments. Nothing to remember of worth bar the crazy last minute.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

As said, at half time we all thought it was over. No one had thought about Lincoln. I seem to recall that the Burnley game was running even later than ours as it had kicked off late due to crowd congestion but that they were winning. Even after we'd equalised Crewe had a free kick from just outside the box which Kenny Allen saved. Mad scenes at the final whistle!
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

It's mad to think that Burnley were struggling so badly back in those days when you compare where they are now. Much like Swansea in recent times.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

While respecting the opinions of others, this was my top choice for one reason and one reason only. That was the raw emotion that I personally felt in those last few minutes. After 80 or so minutes of utter desperation when things went from bad to worse, or so it seemed, the Bryn incident appeared to have taken all the steam (such as there was) out of the match. Those last few moments, when the ball arrived at Dobbo's feet and he seemed to swing completely round to connect with the ball.......

......I'll remember that explosion of joy to my last breath. It was utter bedlam on the pop side and in the few moments of pause after the goal I recall a friend telling me to calm down saying "It's only a game"! Even then we had a squeaky bum moment as Crewe launched a final attack before the referee sent us into further raptures and that pitch invasion.

In justifying my selection, remember that, since we had been elected, we had never left the football league up to that moment and it felt to me as if it really would have been the end of the world had we lost. Everybody said "Never again" afterwards. Sadly we have had to get used to life on the other side now but that is another matter.

After +60 years of following United, it's still my number one.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I was there as a 8 year old and remember 2 things....dust coming off the pitch after every kick and next walking past the ground and American football being played there. ...anyone remember
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, it was very hot, dry and dusty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

My first ever match, my top pick. Dad had been going to wach TUFC since 1955 and was determined I was at least going to see them play one league match and the last day against Crewe could have been the last chance. I remember it differently to a few of you because to me at that time it was the most enthralling, eye popping event I had ever been to, I was totally drawn in by the sights, sounds, the football, the atmosphere and of course the drama. By half time I even made Dad promise if we went down we would still go up to watch the games the next season.

Others have described the action and events pretty spot on, we watched the game from the grandstand standing area, roughly in front of where the cameraman used to be, 2-1 down in injury time and dead and buried Dad decided to walk down towards the exit, we stood in the area next to the mini stand and lo and behold out of nothing Dobbo scored. Cue the scenes of unbridled joy, then tension, a close call, then jubilant celebration. Along with what seemed like thousands of others I ran onto the pitch and soaked in the atmosphere, it was just raw emotion the likes I had never felt before and probably havent since.

Dad and I stayed quite a while after the final whistle a stark contrast to what it would have been if we had lost. Players and the manager were being chaired on supporters shoulders, everybody hushed for a moment when Stuart Morgan gave a quick speech over by the mini stand, a gate was opened up and many of us filed around the back to where the changing rooms used to be to see some of the players, a few had cans of lager on the go (guess who). I was hooked from that day, as we walked away from the ground I could never imagine the life long love affair which was about to begin and all the events that were about to unfold, especially in those first few years which are still my fondest times.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by pnutgull »

gateman49 wrote:While respecting the opinions of others, this was my top choice for one reason and one reason only. That was the raw emotion that I personally felt in those last few minutes. After 80 or so minutes of utter desperation when things went from bad to worse, or so it seemed, the Bryn incident appeared to have taken all the steam (such as there was) out of the match. Those last few moments, when the ball arrived at Dobbo's feet and he seemed to swing completely round to connect with the ball.......

......I'll remember that explosion of joy to my last breath. It was utter bedlam on the pop side and in the few moments of pause after the goal I recall a friend telling me to calm down saying "It's only a game"! Even then we had a squeaky bum moment as Crewe launched a final attack before the referee sent us into further raptures and that pitch invasion.

In justifying my selection, remember that, since we had been elected, we had never left the football league up to that moment and it felt to me as if it really would have been the end of the world had we lost. Everybody said "Never again" afterwards. Sadly we have had to get used to life on the other side now but that is another matter.

After +60 years of following United, it's still my number one.
Point well made. That's what has been so good about this thread. Everyone will have a different opinion over what they think are the ten top matches they can recall especially as some are looking at it from the view of what are the best games and others what are the most significant .
Emotions are very relevant and my "emotional match" is still to come, or at least I hope so !! Having said that I only have three of my choices left so am going to be surprised at least once more.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there. Like stefano, I didn't vote for this match because it was really a rather poor game of football. BUT if points were given for drama, (end of game) excitement and euphoria then this would be No. 1. In fact, it IS my greatest sporting moment - but not for 'Greatest matches' purposes.
In terms of excitement (at least at the end of the game) I think it was even more so than THE Spurs game ( i.e. the 3-3). Truly, the crowd DID go wild, there was unrestrained happiness and joy, the pitch was invaded (not out of vandalism but just pure joy) and the players and Stuart Morgan were - rightly - feted afterwards. Morgan had had enough though, and you can't blame him. It had been the third of the three VERY VERY BAD seasons (arguably worse than the period we're going through now). Certainly the crowds were lower and, yes, I was among the 850 who attended an earlier (season before, I think) Crewe home game. Even today a 'crowd' of 850 would be regarded with horror.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

4th: Torquay United 4 - 1 Scarborough - 1997/98

85 points, 12 votes (1+8+8+4+9+6+10+8+10+5+9+7)

Division 3 Playoff Semi Final Second Leg
13th May 1998
Plainmoor
Attendance: 5386

Torquay:
Kenny Veysey, Paul Gibbs, Andy Gurney, Jon Gittens, Jamie Robinson, Alex Watson, Gary Clayton, Chris Leadbitter, Steve McCall, Rodney Jack, Andy McFarlane. Subs: Wes Thomas, Tony Bedeau, Kevin Hill.

Torquay scorers: Rodney Jack (2), Steve McCall, Paul Gibbs
Scarborough scorer: Jason Rockett

----

The second leg of the 1997/98 playoff semi final is next up, finishing in 4th place. With 12 votes and 85 points accumulated, it just edges out the Crewe match. United had travelled to Scarborough for the first leg, and came home with a 3-1 victory - a previous feature on this list. With that two goal advantage, Plainmoor was not far from capacity as they welcomed Scarborough to the English Riviera. The match got off to an unbelievable start for United - Rodney Jack firing home twice in a minute to put the Gulls 5-1 up on aggregate. This effectively killed the tie, and United were heading to Wembley for the third time. Jason Rockett pulled one back in the 22nd minute, before Steve McCall re-established the two goal advantage seven minutes prior to half time.

Wing back Paul Gibbs added a fourth in the second half, ensuring a comfortable 7-2 aggregate victory for United. Unfortunately this campaign ended on a low, as Colchester beat United 1-0 in the Wembley showpiece.

Rodney Jack's goals:
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by pnutgull »

A real fun time. Just for once I felt that we were not the underdogs in this one with the hard work already done in the first leg. An expectant crowd with Torquay supporters also filling the away end and the few Scarborough supporters in front of the main stand.

Any lingering doubts were soon quashed when Rodney Jack, Jack, Jack as he was called punished a pretty static defence twice in quick succession which meant the game as a contest was over. Cue Mexican Waves and more . Certainly not the most exciting game ever played but an excellent performance by a good team and a joy to watch which is why I suspect it has reached the heights of 4th place.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Top match? No, not by a long, long way - but certainly in the 'good' category. Rodney's goals were top-rate, though.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

wivelgull wrote:Top match? No, not by a long, long way - but certainly in the 'good' category. Rodney's goals were top-rate, though.
How can beating someone 4-1, 7-2 on aggregate, including a very classy McCall goal, which secured a trip to Wembley not be a top match? Even allowing for those hazy glory days those of us under 70 haven't seen (and therefore can't vote for)?